• 1 Post By mschumi101
  • 1 Post By bumpnzx3

Red paint over white?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Red paint over white?

I am doing a red and white scheme. Typically the red should go down first, then the white.

After I spent more time than I should have trying to get my mask lines symmetrical, my wife brought it to my attention that I masked the body backwards. The way I masked it, it would have to be white first followed by red in order for me to get the result I was after. Will the red show through on the white? I tried it on a scrap that I had from another painting project, but it's too small of a piece for me to decide if it will look OK. I'm not about to try to re-tape it, as I don't have the patience to mess with that again. I'd be OK with the paint being the opposite what I was after, but I figured I'd ask about the two colors first.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You will be fine as long as you make sure you have enough white on that you can't see through it when you hold it up to a light. Also make sure you give the white plenty of time to dry before spraying the red, spray the first couple coats of red light so it doesn't soften the white and cause bleed through.
bumpnzx3 likes this.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

I guess I'll give it a try. Hopefully I don't end up with some kind of pink. Hahahahaha!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd back the white with silver
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't have any silver on hand, but I do have some of that "smoke" tint from Tamiya. I might do several coats of white and back with with a few thin coats of the smoke. It's not silver, but it's likely better than nothing.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The idea with the silver is to have a bright colour for separation from the red, the smoke might darken the white slightly.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I'd be OK with the white looking a little on the dark side. My thought of a couple really light coats of the smoke would that it would end up being a very light grey/silver shade or misting. As long as I don't end up with pink, I'm happy. I'm also impatient....I don't want to hold this project off even longer while I wait for another can of paint to arrive (nowhere local to get it).

I'm spraying the smoke to tint the windows a bit on another car this evening. I've never used that stuff, so I'll see how it goes down and decide if it will even remotely work for a backing on the white on the other body.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I would personally spray the white, remove the masking, but then reapply tape over the already sprayed/dried white. No chance of it leaking through then. Just mask up close the edge of the white. Doesn't have to be an exact tape job, and can use scraps and such. Should take 5 minutes max, then you get the original desired colors.
bumpnzx3 likes this.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Tech Initiate

That right there is an excellent idea!

That's an obvious, nearly fool-proof, and easy solution. I haven't a clue why I didn't think of that. Yet another reason why I love message forums - others can see solutions that my blinders don't allow me to see!
mschumi101 likes this.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

I went with mschumi101's idea. I'm going to lay the second color tonight. How long should I wait between the second color and the backing color? Not sure if it matters, but I'm using Tamiya rattle cans for polycabonate. I figured I'd do 2-3 light coats (5-10min break between each one) of the second color. Just not sure how long to wait between that and the final backing. Painting inside around 65*-70* and low humidity.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
I went with mschumi101's idea. I'm going to lay the second color tonight. How long should I wait between the second color and the backing color? Not sure if it matters, but I'm using Tamiya rattle cans for polycabonate. I figured I'd do 2-3 light coats (5-10min break between each one) of the second color. Just not sure how long to wait between that and the final backing. Painting inside around 65*-70* and low humidity.
I like to use a hairdryer to help speed up the drying process. If using the dryer I usually only wait like an hour or so between different paints. Without it I would wait longer, couple hours. Or just let it sit overnight for it to fully dry.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll be doing it in our shop space at my office. I figured if I could knock it all out tonight, I would. I'm not sticking around the office THAT long after 5pm. It can wait to be buttoned up until tomorrow. Hahahaha!