Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions >

Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Old 10-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Current KM vs. Rovan 5b quality questions

Hey guys I'm new to here and have a few questions.

First off has anyone have any experience with the recent KM and Rovan 5b buggys? I've read the whole KM is better than Rovan debate thing all over on here, but most of what I read was from 3+ years ago so that brings me to here to see if it's changed any.

I'm interested in one and as you already know there's more variations of it than you can shake a stick at. I'm looking at a 29cc KM-001 version which to my understanding is an earlier model designation but apparently doesn't really matter much? Since I'm sure eBay links aren't allowed on here it's listing number 292253863549 on there.

secondly, from my experience/ research a smaller cc engine will rev more but a larger cc engine will produce more low end power but may not rev as high. So that brings me to my second question. Is there really a difference in the 27.5cc engine and the 29cc engine in these? I see some with a 30.5cc engine would it be in my best interest to go with that model instead even if it's only listed in the rovan models?

When I get one of these I plan on upgrading to a different transmitter and also installing a super bee kill switch. The kill switch is definitely #1 priority though. I also know to basically tear down the whole buggy and make sure there's blue locktite on all the metal to metal screws, bolts, and nuts and to do a good once over before firing it up.

* So to sum all this up, is the quality pretty much the same between KM and Rovan these days? Besides the kill switch what other early on mods should I look into for reliability sake?

*** Also please no "just go buy an hpi" or any flaming, I've read enough of that in other threads. I'm just after current hands on opinions and experiences of the KM and Rovan models.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:08 AM

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

I have ran both HPI and King. King seems to have better plastics but HPI has thicker aluminum parts. Kind of a wash there. I have not owned a Rovan but I know some that do and don't see a real difference.

You are correct on the engines. 30.5cc and smaller are higher revving than the 32 and up cc engines. In my opinion, you don't need a 32 or bigger engine in a 2wd car. However a 30.5cc will be faster and have more than a 27.2. Same as a 1:1 car, there is no replacing cubic inches or centimeters in this case.

As far as upgrades, add the kill switch and a good pipe and start replacing parts as they break.