Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contrast 1/5th onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Contrast 1/5th onroad car

Hi I am looking at a 1/5th contrast that is for sale, i am struggling to find much info on them. Can anyone tell me if they are still being made? The one I am looking at is a 2014/15 model, are they any good?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if this is any help.

Kit Quattro 4WD Race - Contrast - Racing - CONTRAST RACING
Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tim3
Thanks seen there website looks like it outdated 2014??? There 2wd car on there website is 2014??? Or is there lastest car still??
Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilracer
Hi I am looking at a 1/5th contrast that is for sale, i am struggling to find much info on them. Can anyone tell me if they are still being made? The one I am looking at is a 2014/15 model, are they any good?

Thanks
Check with Victor at FG Supply in California. He is the US distributor of those cars and could shed some light on information that you are seeking. A few guys in Cali race those cars and as far as I know, they are still being made (but again, check with Victor). Hope this helps you on your quest.

Oh, how much is the guy asking for his Contrast and is it a 2wd or 4wd car?
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

JLock the Contrast is kind of a unknown . It looks like a 1/8 scale onroad on roids!! With what appears to be a Overdrive setup on the front end. But if the front is not overdriven I don't believe it is not going to give you a real advantage against your competitors. For a Overdrive set up to be really effective there needs to be a difference in the diameter of the front tires compared to the rear. When the diameter of the front and rear tires is about the same the weaker the overdrive effect becomes.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
JLock the Contrast is kind of a unknown . It looks like a 1/8 scale onroad on roids!! With what appears to be a Overdrive setup on the front end. But if the front is not overdriven I don't believe it is not going to give you a real advantage against your competitors. For a Overdrive set up to be really effective there needs to be a difference in the diameter of the front tires compared to the rear. When the diameter of the front and rear tires is about the same the weaker the overdrive effect becomes.
Contrast makes a 2wd and 4wd car. Their 4wd car is set up like the traditional 4wd nitro car as far as diffs, belts, etc. It is like a higher-end version of the FG Sportsline car. I raced against a couple in LA last October (rolling chassis is around $2800) and they look great.

You can't think of these cars in the same vein as 8th scale 4wd Lola-bodied cars. You have to think of them like gas-powered versions of Xray T4s. So, your overdrive train of thought is moot here. The only advantage is that you have all four wheels driving the car as compared to your traditional 5th scale car which is only 2wd. So, you can get away with some bad throttle responses that you can't with a 2wd car.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Exactly, Mr.Lock!! A overdrive car can be high maintaince too because you have to moniter the diameter of the tires. The rear tires diameter needs to be taller than the front. And truing down rubber tires is a pain. I am experimenting with my 4wd FG converting it into a overdriven car. I put the FG oneway diff on the front, make a belt tensioner had some custom spur gears made so the front is overdriven it eats the turns up. But it took me forever to true down the front rubber tires. Overdrive is weak when the front and rear tires are the same diameter. Whats holding me up now is.... I am trying to find some one who can make me some 1/5 scale foam tires. Foam tires are easier to true.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 07-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Exactly, Mr.Lock!! A overdrive car can be high maintaince too because you have to moniter the diameter of the tires. The rear tires diameter needs to be taller than the front. And truing down rubber tires is a pain. I am experimenting with my 4wd FG converting it into a overdriven car. I put the FG oneway diff on the front, make a belt tensioner had some custom spur gears made so the front is overdriven it eats the turns up. But it took me forever to true down the rear rubber tires. Overdrive is weak when the front and rear tires are the same diameter. Whats holding me up now is.... I am trying to find some one who can make me some 1/5 scale foam tires. Foam tires are easier to true.
This is why my group is running the cars in the traditional fashion. No need to worry about this kind of stuff. I would guess that these cars are too heavy for foam tires and would eat through a set very quickly (probably the reason why you have never really seen of heard of them in the 5th scale world). I like the near maintenance-free racing these cars provide as compared to nitro wear you are always chasing something (engine tune, suspension setup, tires sizing, pit man, etc.).
Old 06-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Well, I am retired with a lot of free time to experiment, I like to tinker with stuff. My 4wd FG has a modified gas 30cc OBR and a modified 2 speed. I agree with you, you get longer wear from rubber tires compared to foam. Still searching for a better way to true the rubber tires.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 06-22-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by devilracer

Thanks
I have just purchased my second contrast & love them.no regrets here.its about 2 years old.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

JLock I refined my tire truing technique and succeed in taking 2mm of the front tires without getting them out of round. The car really handles now. So I am not contantly truing tires I run firm tires in the front and medium in the back instead of soft on the front and rear. I also change the weight of the shock oil so I don't lose grip since I am running harder tires. Works very well
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

does anyone know where I can find information on how to bleed brakes on a contrast 1/5 scale car? it would very helpful thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d OG black flag
does anyone know where I can find information on how to bleed brakes on a contrast 1/5 scale car? it would very helpful thanks
Its not the Contrast, but this guide by Team MSR might help...

+ https://youtu.be/AI-nC_kDTyI" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://youtu.be/AI-nC_kDTyI"> https://youtu.be/AI-nC_kDTyI" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://youtu.be/AI-nC_kDTyI