5ive rtr servo question

Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 5ive rtr servo question

I just picked up a 5ive rtr..the one with the lipo receiver pac. I was reading somewhere that the lipo is too much for the servo and it will "burn" the servo...please explain. What should I do to prevent this? Will a BEC help? I understand that a duel servo setup helps, but what about the throttle servo?....new to 5th so please excuse the lack of knowledge. Mr Frank Root....your advice has always helped me please chime in.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Check the specs on the servos and receiver. I think the throttle servo is 6V and you can’t put anything over that. Battery type shouldn’t really make any difference. Put on lipo I think you are able to overcharge them so if you don’t have a proper charger to do things accurate it might do some harm to the servo. If you are looking to run the steering servo at full potential 7.4V if I’m right check the specs you need to replace the 6V servo to 7.4V servo and check that the receiver can take the voltage. On 5ive it seems that many change the servos because they are under power and 6V to 7.4V and higher rating or even double servo for the steering.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you for the reply...however....only raised a couple mor questions....first off the receiver pac is a lipo so as far as I know they are only in 3.7V increments. This one being 7.4 5200mAh 2S 15C......throttle servo is a Losi S901T [email protected] and the steering is a Losi S900S [email protected] My question is what do I have to do to NOT burn the servos? Like I said I read a post somewhere that if you put a lipo (7.4V) battery in the truck it will burn the servos.......this truck comes with a said 7.4V lipo.......did Losi release a truck that will fail?......if changing the servos is the only option then that's what I'll have to do.....just need things to be clear.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

The new RTR with included LiPos have updated servos that are LiPo capable. There is no need to install a BEC or voltage regulator. The stock servos can be used with the LiPo with no problem.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys
Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There is a bunch of info here, and other places about the 5ive t. just kind of be careful, not of false info, but the date of some threads. there is great info on the web, just, from my experience, some of it dates back to earlier models of the RTR you, and i are driving.

Another question i always raise in my mind is, the instruction manuals state to make sure that there is a hole in your gas cap, however, unless i'm totally blind my cap has no hole, and runs fine. My gas tank however looks to be vented, or at least i'm assuming it is, and i think that that is something different from earlier models too.

Or, perhaps i'm totally wrong about the above entire statement.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
some of it dates back to earlier models of the RTR you, and i are driving.

The one I have is the silver, orange and flat black rtr with avc.....thought that was the latest one....not an early one. It was ordered from Horizon 3 weeks ago. This is the way I understand it

5iveT roller - no motor or electronics, clear body
5iveT Bind - with motor and electronics, no radio and black and white body
5iveT RTR - complete, silver, orange and black body

Now is there more than I version of the RTR?
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Shaun B22 View Post
Thank you for the reply...however....only raised a couple mor questions....first off the receiver pac is a lipo so as far as I know they are only in 3.7V increments. This one being 7.4 5200mAh 2S 15C......throttle servo is a Losi S901T [email protected] and the steering is a Losi S900S [email protected] My question is what do I have to do to NOT burn the servos? Like I said I read a post somewhere that if you put a lipo (7.4V) battery in the truck it will burn the servos.......this truck comes with a said 7.4V lipo.......did Losi release a truck that will fail?......if changing the servos is the only option then that's what I'll have to do.....just need things to be clear.

Thanks
Find the lowest voltage component in your case steering 6V and match it with 6V Battery. Lipo have a combatable charger so you don't over charge the battery. Some of these batteries say 6V but can be charger over that to maybe 7.4V depending of the battery and that is too much for the 6V servo. With Losi they deliberate make the vehicle expensive to upgrade. It would have been so easy just to stick 7.4V servo there making it very durable with 6V battery or for easy upgrade to a 7.4V battery.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
There is a bunch of info here, and other places about the 5ive t. just kind of be careful, not of false info, but the date of some threads. there is great info on the web, just, from my experience, some of it dates back to earlier models of the RTR you, and i are driving.

Another question i always raise in my mind is, the instruction manuals state to make sure that there is a hole in your gas cap, however, unless i'm totally blind my cap has no hole, and runs fine. My gas tank however looks to be vented, or at least i'm assuming it is, and i think that that is something different from earlier models too.

Or, perhaps i'm totally wrong about the above entire statement.
And they went from 26cc 2 bolt Dynamate to 29cc two bolt Dynamite. My impression is that they just stuck the upgrade cylinder to the old 26cc 2 bolt. Some improvement but didn't solve the problem and you still need a engine for it.))
Old 04-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

DDMSteve solved the mystery of the 29cc Dynamite debate in other thread. It is a 4 bolt so that is positive.