Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Need help configuring radio to use cable brakes on brushless FG conversion >

Need help configuring radio to use cable brakes on brushless FG conversion

Need help configuring radio to use cable brakes on brushless FG conversion

Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Need help configuring radio to use cable brakes on brushless FG conversion

So I converted my gas 4wd FG sportsline to brushless so that I could take advantage of the cable brake system on a brushless setup.

I set brakes to zero on the ESC.

I cannot figure out how to configure my Futaba 3PL to engage the brakes which are currently running off of one servo which is plugged into Channel 3 of the receiver.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bennieblanco View Post
So I converted my gas 4wd FG sportsline to brushless so that I could take advantage of the cable brake system on a brushless setup.

I set brakes to zero on the ESC.

I cannot figure out how to configure my Futaba 3PL to engage the brakes which are currently running off of one servo which is plugged into Channel 3 of the receiver.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Can you make Ch 3 a slave to Ch 2,

OR

Since you set your ESC brake to zero, can you run a splitter off channel 2, and plug both the ESC and brake servo into the splitter running out of channel 2?

Ive have used a slave option on my 3PKS (not 3PL), the 1/5 car was not electric, and it was setup for front and rear brakes on two separate channels.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting option. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Vadn1
Old 04-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bennieblanco View Post
Interesting option. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Vadn1
Just for clarification, the brake setting (End Point Adjustments, EPA) on your transmitter, is set to Zero, or the brake setting on the ESC is set to Zero, still allowing you to adjust the brake EPA?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vadn1 View Post
Just for clarification, the brake setting (End Point Adjustments, EPA) on your transmitter, is set to Zero, or the brake setting on the ESC is set to Zero, still allowing you to adjust the brake EPA?
The brake in the ESC is set to zero. Have been messing with the EPA with little or no avail.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Just figured it out. I have to use the 4th channel, which more of a brake channel for rock crawlers, on the 3pl. After tweaking the EPA and the SMX settings, things are working as they should. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Suspended

could also have used a servo Y harness .plug esc and cable servo into it without 4ch..or used the mixing feature on radio for the other channels.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TeslaEman View Post
could also have used a servo Y harness .plug esc and cable servo into it without 4ch..or used the mixing feature on radio for the other channels.
I tried the y splitter and couldn't get it to work. Perhaps there's something I'm missing on the 3pl menu. Also, I haven't found the mixing options on the radio as well. I read the 3pl manual 3 times before landing on the 4th channel which is actually called out in the manual as being the channel to use for brake servos for rock crawlers.