Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Any Other More Active Large Scale References? >

Any Other More Active Large Scale References?

Any Other More Active Large Scale References?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Any Other More Active Large Scale References?

I have a 5ive t arriving tomorrow. Had spent the weekend reading what there is to offer here, and ventured out, and first and foremost discovered rclargescale which was/is very informative. upon signing up the other night, it is apparently almost dead over there, in fact i didn't receive an activation email, and can't even post.

Are there any good active forums you can point me to, or is it to much of a nitch hobby?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

This forum is pretty dead. There are people viewing your posts but it seems that no one has nothing to share. I have tried to be active and get some discussions going but no real luck yet.
Why 5ive t?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

There are baja and five forums out there also on facebook.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by puppeli
This forum is pretty dead. There are people viewing your posts but it seems that no one has nothing to share. I have tried to be active and get some discussions going but no real luck yet.
Why 5ive t?
well, i was about to get a losi desert buggy, then read mixed reviews on it. seemed like everything i was reading was pretty legitimate about the 5ive.

i jumped on it. looks like there are a ton of great aftermarket parts, etc. should be fun.

i really like tinkering with my tlr 22 3.0, about went nitro for an alternate, but decided if i really wanted to have a differnt experience i'd go all out.

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
There are baja and five forums out there also on facebook.
Alright, thanks. as much as i don't like much facebook involvement might have to go that route.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

I also looked at the 5ive but the price seems way too much to justify when you have clones less than half the price with upgrades already on then. Plus 30.5cc engine with a pipe and a radio that is usable. I'm going to get the KM-X2 myself and with the difference get some spares and more upgrades to the truck. It already comes with stiffer base plate made from harder alloy so I think it will be a great platform later on to throw an engine with more power on it. Here in Australia the 5ive cost about US$1700 with 26cc engine and poor radio so the real price after you address those issues is about plus US$2200 depending of the radio and engine you get. Just a roller is US$1300. And the truck still haven't got any upgrades on it. KM-X2 US$719 RTR. You have to email them to get a quote.
http://www.kingmotor.cn/racing/fourdrive/show-71.html

I'm getting mine with two clear bodies/frames and alloy wheels + couple of hundred dollars worth of spares like screw kits and seals and bearings and spark plugs and piston ring that seems to be one of the wearing parts etc. Just to have a starter kit in my toolbox and to anticipate the running cost and maintenance. I like to paint mine and maybe go close to Losi theme not sure yet. Of course these are extra but so much cheaper than if you go and by Losi parts. If you get the Losi body you are looking around +$300 and that is just too much for "bend coke bottle". Now days the clones are just as good as Losi and they have more upgrades out of the box.

For me it is about the money because I don't think I will race my. But if you have the money for Losi and extra $1500 to make the upgrades compared to KM-X2 it is a great truck.

I did a lot of research before making my mind about KM-X2 because when they first started to make clones they were in poor standard and lot of problems. Now all is fixed and you can't really fail them and there are many happy owners.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

To me the value in a clone is in the secondary market. The losi's seem to hold value where you could find KM to be around half of what they are new. I'd be very tempted to buy a clone roller as I have not been impressed with their motors or servos from threads I've come across..... LSF is about all things large scale. A wee bit more action regarding our big boy toys over there.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lone Racer
To me the value in a clone is in the secondary market. The losi's seem to hold value where you could find KM to be around half of what they are new. I'd be very tempted to buy a clone roller as I have not been impressed with their motors or servos from threads I've come across..... LSF is about all things large scale. A wee bit more action regarding our big boy toys over there.
Losi 5ive $1500 RTR (26cc or 29cc without tuned exhaust) or $1300 as a roller.
Comes with weak servos and poor radio. On 5ive you need all three servos to do a steering conversion to double and from 6V to 7.4V a battery. Throttle also because on 7.4V it will burn. Losi don’t come with any upgrades.
KM-X2 $719 RTR (30.5cc with tuned exhaust).
Comes with two 50kg 7.4V servos and fair radio. X2 only needs one servo to do a steering conversion to double and from 6V to 7.4V a battery. X2 has about $500 worth of upgrades.

No matter the option you choose on 5ive you want a better engine and radio with servos and receiver.
Let’s choose standard Zenoah G320RC $300 and if you want something more based on the Zenoah G320RC with little more HP it is about $500. On both you need a tuned exhaust $200-250.
To run the engine you need upgrades to centre differential supports and preferably on suspension. Upgrades are about $500.
To do the steering conversion you need to upgrade the steering support as minimum, three servos and a kit for the fitting. $500 + battery $150.
Radio $300-500
On a Losi roller $1300 + 1950 = $3250 minimum up to $3700

KM-X2
Let’s choose standard Zenoah G320RC $300 and if you want something more based on the Zenoah G320RC with little more HP it is about $500. No need of a exhaust as it already has tuned exhaust.
To run the engine it already comes with the upgrades.
To do the steering conversion only needs one servo a kit for the fitting. $200 + battery $150.
No radio needed.
On a KM RTR $719 + 650 = $1369 minimum up to $1569

That is the cost to have the both very close to same specs.
There is one difference. The chassis on KM is 7075 aluminium and the Losi has 6061 aluminium. IMO it is a huge difference in strength and important issue when putting an engine on the vehicle and the impacts that the car can take.

6061 – Mechanical Properties
•Ultimate Tensile Strength 45000 psi
•Tensile Yield Strength 40000 psi
•Fatigue Strength 14000 psi
•Shear Strength 30000 psi
•Hardness, Rockwell 40
•Machinability 50%

7075 – Mechanical Properties
•Ultimate Tensile Strength 83000 psi
•Tensile Yield Strength 73000 psi
•Fatigue Strength 23000 psi
•Shear Strength 48000 psi
•Hardness, Rockwell 53.5
•Machinability 70%

I’m sure you can see that if you lose on KM half and only 1/3 on Losi in resale value you are still going to lose much more on Losi. Plus you pay more than double for the same specs.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

A lot of the 5th Scale forums are virtually ghost towns. You'll find more interaction on Facebook. Just everyone has moved to that social media. It's easier to upload photos and videos. "OBR/TR Core Team News" is a good one to join. Also, "Gas, Grass and Gravel. 2 Stroke Maniacs" is also a good one. There are a lot of helpful guys in those two forums. If you think about converting your Losi to a 2WD check out........."Pro2 Unlimited 5th Scale Racers.". Good Luck!!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
A lot of the 5th Scale forums are virtually ghost towns. You'll find more interaction on Facebook. Just everyone has moved to that social media. It's easier to upload photos and videos. "OBR/TR Core Team News" is a good one to join. Also, "Gas, Grass and Gravel. 2 Stroke Maniacs" is also a good one. There are a lot of helpful guys in those two forums. If you think about converting your Losi to a 2WD check out........."Pro2 Unlimited 5th Scale Racers.". Good Luck!!

Right on man, thanks for pointing them out.

Like i said i made my way to rclargescale, signed up and was never even sent an activation email. I can see the site is pretty dead, its filled with a ton of info, but i cant even participate since i cant activate.

Definalely will check out your recommendations.

Thanks again.