Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
5ive/LT305/X2 suspension arms alloy vs plastic? >

5ive/LT305/X2 suspension arms alloy vs plastic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5ive/LT305/X2 suspension arms alloy vs plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default 5ive/LT305/X2 suspension arms alloy vs plastic?

I have been looking at alloy suspension arms and they look pretty but are they any good?

Plastic bends but often finds it original shape or close to it and still works but I can see that maybe in racing to get good steering you would use alloy parts.

So how much punishment can alloy arms take? I've seen 6061 and 7075 alloy arms and knowing that 7075 is about twice the strength than 6061 so what to get or stay away? Will 7075 snap or 6061 bend?

Personally the look of alloy makes me feel good and to add something is part of the hobby but I also like to play with the truck.

So what experiences have you had? Have you bend/broke/snapped/had a bad fit/missing bushings or bad bushings/etc. Tell us what is good and bad and the brands that are good and the ones that you shouldn't even touch with a two metre stick.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone have alloy arms? How do you find them and have you given them some good beating?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Hey...
I have all alloy on my MCD RR5 buggy.
I will do a proper plastic vs alloy write up once I start racing it.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen someone with an all alloy baja hit something, and it ended up destroying half the backend. Something is eventually going to have to give resulting in breaking something further up the line. Now if kracken or rpm made arms for the 5ive, that is the way I would go. I like using alloy in the support areas or hubs.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunVUT4yr8Q
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...urce=typeahead
I would do these or stay stock.
Scroll down a bit.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Great video. Thanks. I already ordered alloy suspension arms and I have alloy shock towers on the vehicle too. I have carbon servo/battery kit for less weight so hope that will balance the weight a bit. From that video I think I'll order some carbon shock towers for strength and give and also to reduce some weight. For steering I have most alloy with all alloy tie rods and hubs but left the last link plastic to the servo. Cheap and easy part to replace. I have alloy casings and housings for the differentials to limit movement and free space so that the gearings will last longer. For the alloy arms I got 6061 so lets see how they last. They were not that expensive so if they bend easy I'll get the 7075 to replace them. I think it will be good combination to take the original servo/battery box unit and shock tower to lighten it with carbon kit and to add that weight to suspension arms as alloy to have the weight lower. Should give better handling.