Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
FG Adjustable DIff..... Grease? >

FG Adjustable DIff..... Grease?

FG Adjustable DIff..... Grease?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default FG Adjustable DIff..... Grease?

I'm about to order the above mentioned diff and was wondering if it needed to be filled with grease and if so what wt do you use. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Is it a four fold adjustable diff ?? If it is it may need a small amount of grease to lube the gears and that all. Make all your adjustments with the screws . The farther you crank them in the tighter the diff.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

You have me a bit confused. The adjustable diff I was looking at is this one - http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/prod...ble-1pce-.html

It says you can adjust the locking effect from 0-90%. Now the fourfold says it's self locking - http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/prod...old-1pce-.html

Is there a another type of fourfold that I don't know about?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

You are right Lone Racer my diff is different than yours. I don't know how you would adjust yours, sorry.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

No you were right in that the screws tighten the diff but I think the four fold is self locking. So in the adjustable (one where you tighten w/ screws) all I would need is a light coat of grease? Not sure which one you have?... I'm still kinda torn as what diff to buy. I'm running the viscous diff now but it leaks everything out quickly and it's not the easiest thing to get open and close for a rebuild. I run on sand, asphalt and dirt so changing the fluid becomes annoying as well. I like the idea of the adjustable diff but have heard/read that it doesn't have the best locking effect. Whether the screws back out or just poor design i'm unsure.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

You are right racer it is self adjusting but you can manually adjust it with the screws. I have the fourfold diff. Fg has also came out with some 1 & 2 million weight silicon diff oil it is sooo thick it might not leak out.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

I found the manual online and it is very vague - "Fill the Diff. Housing with a little multipurpose lipids before you mount the diff socket". What is that supposed to mean?
Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

I don't know Lone Racer, I just put a little grease on the gears and adjusted the diff with the screws. I have not got around to testing the heavy weight silicon diff oil yet.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

I guess it's gonna take a lil experimenting. Ordered some multipurpose fg grease with my diff kit...... nitrohead, how is your sportsline running? I'm gonna hopefully pick up a sportsline 4wd over the winter. Maybe I can come to you for advise/tips on laying down my motor? That is if I can stop dumping money into my Marder, still need front bulkhead, chassis, servo tray, and want a 30.5cc motor for my sand running.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

It is running very well for me finally used alot of locktite to secure the screws & nuts because they kept vibrating off but the red locktite took care of that. Be glad to help you. First chance you get buy a OBR 30cc mod-reed you won't be disappointed!! Mine still runs like a raped ape.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

I have a OBR 27.2 race ported head kit and not sure I'm convinced that OBR is the best. Now to be 100% fair I'm no engine expert and this was my first rebuild so I could have screwed up somewhere along the way..... but my previous motor was a 27.2 ESP champ ported and that thing would lift the front tires np until the day it died, the OBR has never lifted the tires. I have hit 53.7mph with the OBR running 26/38 single speed w/ grp tires and prob an empty diff (leaks bad) but not sure if that's fast.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

I am no engine expert either. But I had one of those ESP too, it hit 56mph in my heavy 33 pound MCD Rally , good motor. The difference between my OBR & the ESP the OBR is a Reed with a long stroke it likes to REV.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lone Racer View Post
You have me a bit confused. The adjustable diff I was looking at is this one - http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/prod...ble-1pce-.html
67mph OBR 29.5 Ported for VP 101 octane with this diff running 26/38!
Old 10-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Twisted, thats fast!!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

That is pretty quick! What car you hitting that speed with and does the 101 octane help out a lot?.... I feel my 27.2 could put up a few more mph with a stiffer/locked diff but damn 67 I think is untouchable for my motor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service