Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oval and the future...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Oval and the future...

After some good discussion, and childish responses from others, I figure I will open a new thread to allow this discussion a home to continue.

A few baseline rules:
-Do not bash persons individually, either racers or owners.
-Please keep it tasteful, and respectful.

Oval is not dead. Oval is not dieing. It is not what it used to be, of course, but its far from gone. It is somewhat difficult to say oval is dieing in the Midwest, as the Midwest seems to create some of the best oval racers in the country. The midwest is a hot spot for oval, and good oval racers.

A few discussion points:
-Why has oval declined in the past? Can and will it rebound? Is it simple a fad? Did the number of racers who once ran oval, move to T.C. because it was just more popular and had more people?
-Would a hobby store that stocks all oval parts get more business than an online store catering to oval?
-What can be done to help grow oval, to bring it back to its glory days?

Id love to hear your thoughts, and maybe we can keep this discussion going and keep it civil.

Neil Hicks
Old 10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
tmj
Tech Rookie

Default oval the future

I agree with you oval is not dead, under the right conditions it can be more popular than any form of rc racing. i think that we have lost sight of why we all got into rc in the first place. remember when it was fun,new and excting? we need to get back to that ,make some simple rules a few classes and try to keep the costs down and the fun alive! maybe one day there will be a corporate chain of indoor/outdoor facilities nationwide. somehow we need to take a backwards aproach inorder to move forward.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think one item that really hurt oval, was when Bolink stopped making Legends cars. We really need a true, spec car for oval to grow. Sure we currently have cup class, but that only regulates the body in reality. If we can find a manufacturer to bring a true spec class back, we have a good chance to succeed.
I tell you, I am taking the $4 I won on my powerball, and reinvesting it in the next lottery game, so when I hit it big, Wisconsin will be home to the largest indoor RC track in the world, with a retractable roof!

NH
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://rc-oval.com/rcoval/articles/a...ts-class-.html
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM
tmj
Tech Rookie

Default oval the future

i totally agree, when we used to have saturday night at the car fights here in mpls. we would get 45 legends yes thats right 45, i still have 5 at home i had one my wife had and me three(now teen age and driving there own cars) daughters had one.i really believe that more would be invovlved if the price was right.under 300$ nobody wants to spend a grand on a toy and then not get to race it. the onroad guys are seeing that now,to many manuf. trying to corner the market. i cant imagine to many people justifing the car of the month club anymore. i certainly cant, i have about 5to6 thousand $ of junk in my basment,just begging to be driven but alas nowhere to go. i cant even go to the birds next year becaucse of to much cost. it sur would be nice if the twin cities could put together a carpet facility that all could enjoy!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Oval is alive and very well in other parts of the country. I heard that the east coast area has 40+ drivers showing up each race night. They also have their choice of tracks. Within a 1 1/2-2 hour drive, they have their choice of 4-6 tracks!

I like oval better than roadcourse because it's not a "hop-up" class. You can't just go buy the next hop-up, bolt it on and go fast. You have to modify parts you already have, or make your own. I like spending time wrenching on a car. I don't need that instant gratification of TC. From the prices I've seen lately, TC is just as or more expensive that oval. In the US these days, I can't see how money is such a hinderance anymore. With every kid having a cell-phone & car to drive around and parents sporting a HUMMER or Lexus and a $300K+ house in the 'burbs, you can't tell me that a silly hobby like this is out-of-line for their budget. And look at the soccer parents that spend all that time for travel to these events! The kids have the time and parent's money to race R/C.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Oval is alive and well in Green Bay every Wednesday night at the VFW on Pine St. 7:00 pm We run 4 cell stock motors. We also run road course for 1/12 cars and sedans
Bikenut
Old 10-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The article I posted talks about the possibility of using the L3T Sport or a similar chassis and starting a spec class
Old 10-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow... I didnt realize rc-oval.com was back. Nice to see.
I read the article on the replacement for the legends series, and while I agree with some of the thoughts, I dont agree that the 10L sport is the way to go.
I wish someone was able to bring back Legends properly, I dont know why it hasnt -- must be a legal thing with Bolink. The 10L3 Sport still costs $150, not to mention radio, cheap ESC and so on. We need a cheaper car, that maybe includes an ESC and servo.
Would love to writ emore, but have to head to work!
Good conversation...

NH
Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I agree. I've been racing for over 18yrs and the most enjoyable clas I ever raced in was a Bolink Mini-Cup spec class. 4 Cell 1700's and silver can 540's. It was the most popular class at my travk for 3 years mainly due to the low cost and ease of driving. I currently left sedan and started racing spec SK Modifieds. Racing has finaly become fun again!! This is exactly what oval needs in order to grow.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default oval is still here!

Hey we run oval every friday in Mt. Vernon, Washington. We average 40-55 racers a night. Running 1/10th pan, 1/12th pan, open wheel touring"on the oval" and tranny class.Oh yeah can't forget the 5-15 rookies every week.
Check out our new web site http://<span style="color:Indigo">ww...val.com</span>
you will be impressed.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I agree

There needs to be a grass roots run on a low cost entry level car set up to get more people to come out and PLAY, my sisters oldest boy and his friends come over to my house and bash around my old cars, I took them to the offroad track and they just walk away saying thats to much to start, I'm going to take them to a small dirt oval track in rochester, cause they are more intresed in oval racing than any thing
Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HMS_Motorsports
I think one item that really hurt oval, was when Bolink stopped making Legends cars. We really need a true, spec car for oval to grow. Sure we currently have cup class, but that only regulates the body in reality. If we can find a manufacturer to bring a true spec class back, we have a good chance to succeed.
I tell you, I am taking the $4 I won on my powerball, and reinvesting it in the next lottery game, so when I hit it big, Wisconsin will be home to the largest indoor RC track in the world, with a retractable roof!

NH

I dont agree with that statement.......I used to drive oval every week. I got board with the simplicity of things. Road coarse I feel is much more challenging. The cars have so many adjustments its not hard to get lost if you dont know about susspensions.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Paul...........
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default oval racing

hey i picked up a bolink sport 10 for 25.00 that would be a great start to oval racing you can find bolink cars cheap .
Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice to have a good, constructive conversation about oval racing ...

Out here in Northern California, oval racing is alive and well. We run parking lot series, with 3 different clubs. Tracks are a combo of road course and oval, and the size and layout changes just about every race. The biggest Club, the Ground Pounders, see a combined turnout of 100+ every race day. 4 Cell Stock usually gets 20 entries alone.

So far, out here, we've never been able to get a spec class going. Racers find it too limiting. And it was hard to get enough Novices to try it at one time ... Maybe it will happen in the future? We been considering coming out with an entry level chassis kit, we'll see what happens.

HMS: Good luck with the powerball! Hope you come out a big time winner soon.

Tazz: Does SK have a website?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.