Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FG Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey fellas, about to get back into the 5th scale game again. Been taking care of family and work business and set the r/c stuff on the side. Now that some things have alleviated themselves, I am slowing working to get back to running my car again. We needs some 5th scale racing on this side of the US. Why should the West Coast guys have all the fun?!?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Hey fellas, about to get back into the 5th scale game again. Been taking care of family and work business and set the r/c stuff on the side. Now that some things have alleviated themselves, I am slowing working to get back to running my car again. We needs some 5th scale racing on this side of the US. Why should the West Coast guys have all the fun?!?
Good point .... I'm in

BM
Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by British Menace
Good point .... I'm in

BM
Count me in, as said before we have at least two tracks that are open to work with 5th scale, George at Fullthrottle was even looking into getting his own tourer he just hosted the electric worlds and after he finish with the nitro worlds at end of the month will be perfect time to bring it back to his attention, also Luis did some testing at our homestead track with some positive feed back, so Jlock we need a leader hint hint lol, George and I are close so if needed can help with getting started agian. Michael_nx@ yahoo.ca / I have a number to reach George direct My buddy just got a new RS5 he's dying to get it going.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Working on some simple rules to run by that should be fair for all that want to compete. Just need to find a few venues to put on some races. Once others in the hobby see that running 5th scale is cheaper up front and down the road than what they are currently running (except maybe 2wd electric buggy), then it will be a matter of time before others will hop aboard the bandwagon.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmichael
Count me in, as said before we have at least two tracks that are open to work with 5th scale, George at Fullthrottle was even looking into getting his own tourer he just hosted the electric worlds and after he finish with the nitro worlds at end of the month will be perfect time to bring it back to his attention, also Luis did some testing at our homestead track with some positive feed back, so Jlock we need a leader hint hint lol, George and I are close so if needed can help with getting started agian. Michael_nx@ yahoo.ca / I have a number to reach George direct My buddy just got a new RS5 he's dying to get it going.
Kmichael,
well the weather is getting cooler and I think is the right time to start heading over to the track for some test and tune runs.
Would you be consider coming down to Homestead one of these weekends to spend half a day at the track to help me promote and run our cars?
Let me know when will you be available?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey guys,
I hope to not interfeere with your thread, use the ROAR rules, mainly engine size, fuel capacity and weight.. as for racing for next year:

the guys from NJ are planning an event
RAMS will have the W. Coast Challenge
GLARCC will have the International Challenge, big names from EU will be at the race.....

Victor
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vctr1
hey guys,
I hope to not interfeere with your thread, use the ROAR rules, mainly engine size, fuel capacity and weight.. as for racing for next year:

the guys from NJ are planning an event
RAMS will have the W. Coast Challenge
GLARCC will have the International Challenge, big names from EU will be at the race.....

Victor
I understand what you are saying. However, I can see the development of a new, entry-level type class with the advent of some of the RTR cars. Use the ROAR 5th scale rules as a guideline but taylor it to include fair rules for the 4wd cars now available that use a slightly bigger engine than ROAR rules allows (.26 for 4wd versus .23 for 2wd). Something that is competitive without spending tons of cash (which those classes already exist and a problem that kills a lot of competition in other r/c racing classes). What I would like to see is a class of 5th scale in which you can buy a RTR car and not have to invest hundreds/thousands in chassis, engine, 2-speeds, etc. upgrades (keeping it simple). Some of the current RTR FG cars are cheaper than a 8th scale buggy/truggy, 8th scale 4wd pan car, or even a 200mm TC investment.

Let the big money guys continue to do what they are doing. Just have a class for those that want to be competitive but don't want to spend a boatload to "keep up with the Joneses" And, if they do, then they can move on to race with the big dogs in the "big boys" class.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

J,
26cc no bigger, 700ml of Fuel... would be you ticket if you are running 2 and 4wd together if not . FG has some 800ml tanks, the 26cc are a little thirsty, also that a different pipe like the Samba also makes a big difference on power...
the Rams club has a big group with 4wd with a huge success, we might have a 4wd class only for our race next year. if you need any help just send a message...
Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vctr1
J,
26cc no bigger, 700ml of Fuel... would be you ticket if you are running 2 and 4wd together if not . FG has some 800ml tanks, the 26cc are a little thirsty, also that a different pipe like the Samba also makes a big difference on power...
the Rams club has a big group with 4wd with a huge success, we might have a 4wd class only for our race next year. if you need any help just send a message...
Thanks for the offer of help and I will keep what you have mentioned in mind. I have the FG 4wd Sportline with the 26cc. Since I am not racing mine yet, it is not thirsty (takes well over an hour to run out a tank). Trying to develop something on this side of the US so that maybe there could be an East Coast/West Coast circuit going with like a 5th scale US Nationals for down the road.

Tried to make a race in your area this year but the job kept throwing monkey wrenches in my plans. Going to try to hit up a Cali 5th scale race next year if possible. A big race would have to be the 2nd/3rd weekend of any month in order for me to make it though (an Accountant at my job in which 1st and 4th weekends are out due to monthly closing of the company's books).
Old 11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I understand what you are saying. However, I can see the development of a new, entry-level type class with the advent of some of the RTR cars. Use the ROAR 5th scale rules as a guideline but taylor it to include fair rules for the 4wd cars now available that use a slightly bigger engine than ROAR rules allows (.26 for 4wd versus .23 for 2wd). Something that is competitive without spending tons of cash (which those classes already exist and a problem that kills a lot of competition in other r/c racing classes). What I would like to see is a class of 5th scale in which you can buy a RTR car and not have to invest hundreds/thousands in chassis, engine, 2-speeds, etc. upgrades (keeping it simple). Some of the current RTR FG cars are cheaper than a 8th scale buggy/truggy, 8th scale 4wd pan car, or even a 200mm TC investment.

Let the big money guys continue to do what they are doing. Just have a class for those that want to be competitive but don't want to spend a boatload to "keep up with the Joneses" And, if they do, then they can move on to race with the big dogs in the "big boys" class.
Juan,
You might want to take a look at the one5mini site. They have been running 1/5 FG 4wd Mini's on a style of race program you are referring to.

http://www.one5mini.com
Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

vadn1,

Needed a translator for the sight (since there is no English mirror sight). We need a program similar to this in the US for 5th scale racing. Without having some grassroot development of r/c racing again in the US (regardless of class), onroad racing will continue to suffer with participation and attendence.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LuisR
Kmichael,
well the weather is getting cooler and I think is the right time to start heading over to the track for some test and tune runs.
Would you be consider coming down to Homestead one of these weekends to spend half a day at the track to help me promote and run our cars?
Let me know when will you be available?
Hey Luis looking forward to making that drive, giving my buddy some time to finish his new RS5 what a work of art must say I'm a little jealous will let you know when we're ready .
Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

vadn1,
Without having some grassroot development of r/c racing again in the US (regardless of class), onroad racing will continue to suffer with participation and attendence.
.......Its all in how you promote it. RC Cars have some educational value to them maybe we should approach the problem from a different angle. That RC Cars can be a educational experence to our children. For example for a racer to be sucessful you need to keep a journal and write down your observations of how your car handled after you made adjustments. Children who partcipated in the program should be required to keep a journal. This would improve their writhing skills, observation skills and critical thinking skills. This would happen from setting up their car and racing. But what we need is a spokesperson who can represent us and sell the idea to the schools...... and maybe we could get the professional racing teams to help with the expenses??
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
.......Its all in how you promote it. RC Cars have some educational value to them maybe we should approach the problem from a different angle. That RC Cars can be a educational experence to our children. For example for a racer to be sucessful you need to keep a journal and write down your observations of how your car handled after you made adjustments. Children who partcipated in the program should be required to keep a journal. This would improve their writhing skills, observation skills and critical thinking skills. This would happen from setting up their car and racing. But what we need is a spokesperson who can represent us and sell the idea to the schools...... and maybe we could get the professional racing teams to help with the expenses??
Good observation and points!!!! Taking new racers and educating them about the hobby and teaching them about the racing aspect instead of just showing them. Let them know that hobby of remote control and the sport of r/c racing is fun and not just "cool".
Old 11-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

And if we can get the schools behind us maybe this could lead to some tracks around the country to race on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.