Wiki Posts
Search

Help selecting a 1/5 gas SCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help selecting a 1/5 gas SCT

Hi All,

As per the title, I am looking to get a 1/5 gas SCT beast, what to get? I have been reading through the threads and I am leaning towards a HPI 5SC kit and then getting a motor and electronics for it, but that is probably a lot more expensive than an RTR. It seems that some of the RTR stuff is no good. I dont plan on racing so what are people opinions on the RTR servos and motor? I gather the stock tires are no good, is that true? I read that the stock motors have some serious issues too, is that right?
Also, I read some people were complaining about it being 2wd and a pain to drive but that good tires fixed that issue. Maybe the Losi is a better bet (4wd) but I think there would be fewer parts and aftermarket goodies no?

Also, how robust are these things? I am not afraid of maintenance and of course things break from time to time but how are people finding wear and tear and are there any straight up serious weaknesses?

Thanks for all the input in advance....
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

1/5 gassers can definitely be fun, but be prepared for alittle sticker shock on parts prices for some vehicle lines.

From what I could research concerning 2wd and 4wd, I found myself leaning towards 4wd. I couldn't afford a losi 5ive-T, but from what I could gather it seemed like the best bang for the buck of the SCTs out there.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

The 5ive is the best choice....its easy to work on and is very durable..

The 2wd bajas need some help stock to be reliable if driven hard..
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

stock motors are fine either way...

Baja needs better rear tires as the 5ive has good tires stock...

servos are ok but plan on replacing them in time.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. Here is Australia the Losi 5t is $1800 (with spektrum reciever, no tx) vs $1550 for a HPI 5SC (incl radio). If I buy a spektrum radio I think they might be $150, so on-road cost would be $1950 for the Losi and $1550 for the HPI. You can eat $400 in parts and upgrades pretty quick and if it drives better probably worth the 400 more.......Which way would you go?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

5ive T , you could consider the 5ive clone http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-lar...ompatible.html as parts and accessories that fit the 5ive will fit the rovan.
I don't like trucks so I got a DBXL, awesome fun for the money. Cannot recommend Spektrum.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Loving my DBXL as well and its a bit less than the 5ive-t. Its addicting and I will be getting a 5ive-t as well. Go Losi!