Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about 1/5 scale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Troyster
Well from my experience I spend a lot more money on my 1/5 scales than my 1/10 scales. I would not really consider 1/5 scale racing in the same cost category as 1/8 or 1/10 scale....electric at least as I can't speak for nitro. 1/5 scale is not cheap but it is fun!!
Thanks! I think I would personally be better off without a 1/5 scale at the moment then based off of that. I mean for 2 months of racing I'm going to spend nearly $120+ on race entry fees + practice fees alone! So for the whole year, its going to be probably triple that!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by electricrc68
I still haven't been able to find a good comparison of the amount of money I would spend on replacement parts for a 1/5 vs. a 1/10 in one racing season. If the price total spent on each scale was very similar, I would jump on the 1/5. My biggest worry is getting the 1/5, and then not having enough money to fix it when something breaks, and then it just sits there. Thats what has me the most concerned.
Well ..... just my experience here.
I have driven 1/10th scale at a national level. I've been on the road for a good many years and spent a ton of money on building and maintaining just my 1/10th Nitro. I've produced my own parts and done a ton of work on 1/10th over 20 years...... lots of fun but expensive!

I have a 1/5th scale Formula 1 car that I bought used (Tip: If you can find a good one there's good deals around!!)
Over the last two years I have learnt alot about running these things. (I would imagine running SCT or off-road to be very similar in lots of ways)
I have spent quite alot of money basically renewing parts that were worn, upgrades, to the chassis and to the engine only nothing too outlandish. No 7HP engine or anything like that. Something I could still go racing with.

All in all, I have found the cost to be very similar. I would say, if your bashing around having fun in parking lots and the occasional track meet, 1/5th scale is maybe a little less on the pocket. After the initial cost of the kit/ car.
Actual running costs I found alot lower then my 10th scale.
If your going racing, again very similar. It costs an arm and a leg either way. How deep are your pockets .... but thats racing.

All in all ...... apart from the initial cost. 1/5th scale costs less to run.
Racing costs as much as yo've got to put into it.

Have fun..

Regards
BM
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by British Menace
Well ..... just my experience here.
I have driven 1/10th scale at a national level. I've been on the road for a good many years and spent a ton of money on building and maintaining just my 1/10th Nitro. I've produced my own parts and done a ton of work on 1/10th over 20 years...... lots of fun but expensive!

I have a 1/5th scale Formula 1 car that I bought used (Tip: If you can find a good one there's good deals around!!)
Over the last two years I have learnt alot about running these things. (I would imagine running SCT or off-road to be very similar in lots of ways)
I have spent quite alot of money basically renewing parts that were worn, upgrades, to the chassis and to the engine only nothing too outlandish. No 7HP engine or anything like that. Something I could still go racing with.

All in all, I have found the cost to be very similar. I would say, if your bashing around having fun in parking lots and the occasional track meet, 1/5th scale is maybe a little less on the pocket. After the initial cost of the kit/ car.
Actual running costs I found alot lower then my 10th scale.
If your going racing, again very similar. It costs an arm and a leg either way. How deep are your pockets .... but thats racing.

All in all ...... apart from the initial cost. 1/5th scale costs less to run.
Racing costs as much as yo've got to put into it.

Have fun..

Regards
BM
WOW! Amazing post...thanks! I'm leaning towards 1/5 scale now after your post. It seems as if no matter what you race, its still going to be expensive.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How expensive it is compared to smaller scales, has everything to do with the small scale track you are running on, and how hard it is on TIRES. Most club racing tracks are pretty easy on tire wear, but some, you end up burning through a set a week. Obviously that can become extremely expensive real fast. Other than that, electric 8th scale, and 4x4 sct, you rarely break many parts....so besides tires...it's super cheap. 1/8th nitro though, was pretty comparable expense wise in my experience.

5th scale tires usually last a bit longer, but it's more consumable as for parts. Between clutches, tires, tire foams, driveline wear and rebuilds, motor rebuilds, carb wear and replacement, fuel, plugs, new body, ect....I had about 6-700$ of upkeep for the 5th scale this racing season, but that was racing it every weekend. My smaller scales were around 300$ each, but mainly only because i needed a limited tire selection for the tracks I ran. It's not uncommon to blow a grand on rubber for the season per class, as absurd as that may sound to a new rc enthusiast. If you only run one track, and it's easy on tires...you might get a whole season on just a couple sets. In that case, smaller ELECTRIC scales are FAR cheaper.

So, to make an educated guess on your expenses, I highly recommend talking to your local racers about tires and tire wear. And yes, RC in general is stupid expensive.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridley
How expensive it is compared to smaller scales, has everything to do with the small scale track you are running on, and how hard it is on TIRES. Most club racing tracks are pretty easy on tire wear, but some, you end up burning through a set a week. Obviously that can become extremely expensive real fast. Other than that, electric 8th scale, and 4x4 sct, you rarely break many parts....so besides tires...it's super cheap. 1/8th nitro though, was pretty comparable expense wise in my experience.

5th scale tires usually last a bit longer, but it's more consumable as for parts. Between clutches, tires, tire foams, driveline wear and rebuilds, motor rebuilds, carb wear and replacement, fuel, plugs, new body, ect....I had about 6-700$ of upkeep for the 5th scale this racing season, but that was racing it every weekend. My smaller scales were around 300$ each, but mainly only because i needed a limited tire selection for the tracks I ran. It's not uncommon to blow a grand on rubber for the season per class, as absurd as that may sound to a new rc enthusiast. If you only run one track, and it's easy on tires...you might get a whole season on just a couple sets. In that case, smaller ELECTRIC scales are FAR cheaper.

So, to make an educated guess on your expenses, I highly recommend talking to your local racers about tires and tire wear. And yes, RC in general is stupid expensive.
Thanks! I'm not sure how hard the track is on tires, so I'll have to ask other racers about that like you said. Tires look to be the biggest expense.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

I had an HPI Baja 5b, and then my buddy got one. We both got rid of them for several reasons.

They need a LOT of room to run. They also kick up a lot of dirt (duh lol). It was hard finding places where we could run, and local parks were out of the question, not only due to noise since we were running gas, but the amount of grass they would tear up would have us charged with paying for the damage.

Since they require much larger spaces to run, you are at a further distance away, which makes the size kind of irrelevant. Looking at an 1/8 buggy from 50 feet away or a 1/5 from 150 feet away, the size really doesn't matter.

Tires/Wheels/Parts. I thought 1/8 was a little pricey until I got into 1/5. For the cost of one new set of 4 tires, foams, rims and beadlocks a nice 1/8 roller can be bought. Yes, I know the wheels/foams/beadlocks can be re-used, but when I was looking at picking up some Hostile Slicks for parking lot runs, I wanted the Proline Desperado's too. $300+ was just a bit much for me to spend.

So the 1/5 was sold, and we stuck with 1/8 for a while, then picked up a few 1/10 sc's. Lots of fun, and fairly inexpensive. Part of that reason was also less time for rc, but whenever I think about 1/5, a quick visit to DDM and the prices always make me remember why I sold mine.

Just giving a different perspective on 1/5 ownership.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Tech Master

Wow that has not been my experience with my 1/5 scale. I am a basher not a serious racer. Me and my wife race against each other loser has to clean the house!! My 1/5 scale is a onroad 4wd FG Sportline. And a set of tires for it cost on average about $120.00 they last me a year. I guess running 1/5 scale offroad is more expensive than 1/5 scale onroad. I have broken very few parts after a year + of hard running.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by badaml
I had an HPI Baja 5b, and then my buddy got one. We both got rid of them for several reasons.

They need a LOT of room to run. They also kick up a lot of dirt (duh lol). It was hard finding places where we could run, and local parks were out of the question, not only due to noise since we were running gas, but the amount of grass they would tear up would have us charged with paying for the damage.

Since they require much larger spaces to run, you are at a further distance away, which makes the size kind of irrelevant. Looking at an 1/8 buggy from 50 feet away or a 1/5 from 150 feet away, the size really doesn't matter.

Tires/Wheels/Parts. I thought 1/8 was a little pricey until I got into 1/5. For the cost of one new set of 4 tires, foams, rims and beadlocks a nice 1/8 roller can be bought. Yes, I know the wheels/foams/beadlocks can be re-used, but when I was looking at picking up some Hostile Slicks for parking lot runs, I wanted the Proline Desperado's too. $300+ was just a bit much for me to spend.

So the 1/5 was sold, and we stuck with 1/8 for a while, then picked up a few 1/10 sc's. Lots of fun, and fairly inexpensive. Part of that reason was also less time for rc, but whenever I think about 1/5, a quick visit to DDM and the prices always make me remember why I sold mine.

Just giving a different perspective on 1/5 ownership.
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Wow that has not been my experience with my 1/5 scale. I am a basher not a serious racer. Me and my wife race against each other loser has to clean the house!! My 1/5 scale is a onroad 4wd FG Sportline. And a set of tires for it cost on average about $120.00 they last me a year. I guess running 1/5 scale offroad is more expensive than 1/5 scale onroad. I have broken very few parts after a year + of hard running.
Thanks guys! Hmm....this is getting to be a little tricky of a decision. So many varying views that I'm not sure what to decide on...
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My experience with a Baja was poor as well. The buggy just doesn't do anything real well imo. I sold it, and if that was the only 5th scale available, I'd never have gotten back into it. The Losi 5ive however, is night and day different, and is the most fun RC I've ever had. By far the most realistic handling rc I've ever driven, and works great on everything. It's sad that the stigma of 5th scales being crappy, due to the Baja being such an ill handling car, still exists and keeps many serious racers from venturing to the 5ive, which is a phenomenally designed and performing vehicle.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridley
My experience with a Baja was poor as well. The buggy just doesn't do anything real well imo. I sold it, and if that was the only 5th scale available, I'd never have gotten back into it. The Losi 5ive however, is night and day different, and is the most fun RC I've ever had. By far the most realistic handling rc I've ever driven, and works great on everything. It's sad that the stigma of 5th scales being crappy, due to the Baja being such an ill handling car, still exists and keeps many serious racers from venturing to the 5ive, which is a phenomenally designed and performing vehicle.
I think I will hold off until I can afford the 5ive. Sounds like that would be a MUCH better car. I'd need a Spektrum radio since its BND right? I have a Spektrum DX2e for my Circuit that I could possibly use...
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

So after reading through all these posts again, I'm on the fence about whether I should sell all my current RC's and get the 5ive, or just avoid the 1/5 scales all together...
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Don't avoid the 1/5 scale just continue to search until you find one that meets your needs . Go to you tube and check out various videos of the Losi five running on different tracks. Checkout the MCD's and the FG offroad buggys before you decide. Check out this link to a video from you tube of a guy raising hell with his 2 speed Losi . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwSZ-g8TYXM

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 11-20-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Don't avoid the 1/5 scale just continue to search until you find one that meets your needs . Go to you tube and check out various videos of the Losi five running on different tracks. Checkout the MCD's and the FG offroad buggys before you decide. Check out this link to a video from you tube of a guy raising hell with his 2 speed Losi . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwSZ-g8TYXM
Thanks! Yeah I did watch a ton of youtube videos. I'm gonna need to think some more...I just don't want to get one and then regret it. I had a hard time swallowing the $76 bill for two lipo batteries.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Originally Posted by electricrc68
So after reading through all these posts again, I'm on the fence about whether I should sell all my current RC's and get the 5ive, or just avoid the 1/5 scales all together...
The 5ive t is the Ferrari of r/c cars....I sold 2 bajas to get mine...

I would rather have the 5ive and nothing else if that was my only options..

I race a 1/10th 2wd buggy in the winter but it is no where near as fun and rewarding as my 5ive...

Find someone local with one and try it out..you will have a huge smile on your face..

If your racing only the baja should not be a option..if the losi is not in your budget a Losi SCTE would be my second choice.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

I had a hard time swallowing the $76 bill for two lipo batteries.
What, I would say you got a good buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.