Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Purchasing 1/5 Truck - 5ive-T or Baja-T >

Purchasing 1/5 Truck - 5ive-T or Baja-T

Purchasing 1/5 Truck - 5ive-T or Baja-T

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up Purchasing 1/5 Truck - 5ive-T or Baja-T

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this. Im wanting to purchase a 1/5 truck (finally, been wanting to do this for years) and trying to decide between the two. The Baja has been around for a few years now and parts and hop-ups are everywhere for it. I don't currently have a Spektrum radio so bind in drive isn't really a bonus with the Losi. Have always been a fan of Losi and have owned many kits over the years I have been in the hobby.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I have 3 Baja 5b now and am working on converting one to a 5t. Hpi parts are cheap and everywhere. DDM will become your best friend lol. I'd go hpi if I bought another one.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this. Im wanting to purchase a 1/5 truck (finally, been wanting to do this for years) and trying to decide between the two. The Baja has been around for a few years now and parts and hop-ups are everywhere for it. I don't currently have a Spektrum radio so bind in drive isn't really a bonus with the Losi. Have always been a fan of Losi and have owned many kits over the years I have been in the hobby.
Hopefully you have had a chance to see both run? At least on youtube? These are two totally different trucks and it really matters what driving characteristics you value the most (eg 2WD vs 4WD). Maybe you'll end up getting both in time if you like both platforms. The 5ive-t is my favorite rc....I might have to pick up a second one this year
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

I have owned probably 25+ kits over the years and always like 4wd. I'm not so concerned about more maintenance on the losi, just part of the fun. From what I have been reading on the net the losi is far more durable?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Been bashing my 5b for a while . From the gravel pit to the park grass and pavement. The only thing I've broken was from a lapse in judgement with a speed bump which landed it on its lid and broke a spark plug. Weirdest Damn thing. Now I have the 5t top handle/spark plug cover. I wanted four wheel drive in the worst way but some of the reading I've done guys get bored with them if bashing. If your planning on racing I think it will be different. I've experienced this with 1/8 buggy,truggy and sc trucks. Just my .02. Whichever you get you will love it and that's all that matters......have fun.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a modded 5b that I have uprgraded over the past 5 years and absolutely love bashing it at the park and beach it screams. It is very durable it will violently cartwheel and just keep going however, the losi 5ive will clean its clock at a race track because of the 4 wheel drive just check out youtube and you can find some vids with the two going head to head and there is no comparison the 5ive will be my next purchase but will never get rid of my 5b
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Ive got a 5b SS, and the only thing bad has been all user induced. 10 cartwheels at once and only popped out 1 dogbone that stayed with it. I love this thing. The Losi looks quick on the track, but the 5sc flux is basically a savage with parts available everywhere. That will probably be my next 5th scale. Make sure you get super hard compound tires for bashing. 5b eats them stupid fast, even stock
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I own both and the HPI looks like a toy when compared to the Losi, as far as I can see there is no comparison, the Losi wins hands down.

The HPI is more old school and should be compared to FG 2 wheel drive.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
I have owned probably 25+ kits over the years and always like 4wd. I'm not so concerned about more maintenance on the losi, just part of the fun. From what I have been reading on the net the losi is far more durable?
Well the 5ive-t is very durable....you mentioned maintenance, the chassis/component layout makes maintenance a snap. My HPI takes a bit more time to get to the diffs, etc.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lolcanoe View Post
Ive got a 5b SS, and the only thing bad has been all user induced. 10 cartwheels at once and only popped out 1 dogbone that stayed with it. I love this thing. The Losi looks quick on the track, but the 5sc flux is basically a savage with parts available everywhere. That will probably be my next 5th scale. Make sure you get super hard compound tires for bashing. 5b eats them stupid fast, even stock
Yeah I have been happy with my 5sc flux so far....exactly right, parts for the flux are cheap and available everywhere. This is a good basher (that also jumps decently at the track) when I want to change it up from the losi gasser.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Where r u at?

We race 5ives every Sat in Medina Ohio. Obvious, which one I'm voting for.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you are ever going to hit any type of track with it, the Losi is the only 5th scale worth looking at. The HPI baja vehicles are abysmal on the track, where the Losi is outstanding.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its interesting how many replies you got for the baja. They must be people who have never driven and dont own a 5ive. There is really no comparison. The 5ive is hands down a better ride, sweeter ride, easier to work on ride, and all around Bad ASS truck. Sit the 2 next to each other and see which one you want. The baja looks small and weak next to a 5ive. DDM and TGn stock lots of aftermarket 5ive parts. LoL, the baja was great for its time, but its time has passed . the baja lol ....the baja hardly gets driven anymore since the 5ive dropped into my garage!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all your replies. More than likely will be getting the Losi.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I own both and the HPI looks like a toy when compared to the Losi, as far as I can see there is no comparison, the Losi wins hands down.

The HPI is more old school and should be compared to FG 2 wheel drive.
I would agree. After owning a 5SC I dont think I would own another HPI baja unless I could pick one up for dirt cheap. I had to many issues, it doesnt seem to be as well engineered as the losi is. If I do it again it will be the losi for sure.