Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Losi 5ive-T vs MCD W5 SCT >

Losi 5ive-T vs MCD W5 SCT

Losi 5ive-T vs MCD W5 SCT

Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Losi 5ive-T vs MCD W5 SCT

I'm in the market for a large scale short course.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 263 (100%+)

the W5 needs a bit of suspension tuning. Hopefully those new soft rear springs MCD has coming out will fit the bounce issue. Though, based on what people are saying on the MCD forum, the actual rating is still quite stiffer than what losi uses.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would think the losi would be the way to go,stronger in about every aspect and is based on a race winning design so it handles awesome.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Legend

you do know that the w5 is based on the multi championship winning buggy right?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

That's just because the losi wasn't out to beat it,that sweet chassis that brings the 5ive to EU buggy specs should start dominating.

There's a guy local to me with a mcd and its not all that impressive of a design and it broke before the motor got up to temp.

I've beat the living shit out of my 5ive,10'+ tall bmx dirt jumps launching it 16'+ and landing on the front right too many times to count.

It handles great too,even on too small of tracks.

That buggy kit shortenes it considerably and I can imagine lightened it allot too so that would make it very agile and quick with a bzm or modded bartolone T/S reed motor.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Legend

As far as losi domination, maybe it will, maybe it won't. Time will tell.

But regardless, that doesn't take anything away from the MCD as a proven design. You don't become a multi-time champion as MCD has without having the capability.

And just because someone local to you broke one is as about as valuable as me saying the same thing but with the Losi breaking (throttle servos, too short screws in chassis, etc).

Does that take anything away from the Losi? No it doesn't. same as the MCD.

what will be interesting if you care about these vehicles from a racing perspective is will Losi actually make a race buggy version under the TLR banner and what MCD will do to counteract in the future.

The main thing the MCD needs right now is a better suspension setup as the current spring rates are too stiff in comparison to what Losi uses.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the mcd is 10lbs lighter and the losi will break like the rest....trust me mines a pos!! I honestly hope to see the mcd dominate the track!!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krazykeith View Post
the mcd is 10lbs lighter and the losi will break like the rest....trust me mines a pos!! I honestly hope to see the mcd dominate the track!!
LOL, somebody needs a hug.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Parts support of the losi just makes it more convenient.... Having to wait for replacement parts is always a pain.

Aftermarket support for the losi already beats out the mcd here in the states.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Krazykeith View Post
Hope in one hand and poo in the other and your gonna get poo.

I saw a pos mcd break 5 parts before the motor was warmed up off one little jump.

I've launched my losi over a story on 10' bmx dirt jumps and landed on every corner and front and back and I only got spur rub.

I think with some time you will see losi at 1/5 tracks across the globe,wait you already do!

Losi nailed it with the 5ive and the hop ups are soon to be endless so expect to see it stay around and dominate,I belive with the euro buggy kit its gonna start dominating the 1/5 buggy class too.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Losi 5ive-T FTW
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Legend

FYI

MCD grabbed another “first three” victory at the race track in Nene Valley in U.K. on the April the 8th. Dirk Kellerman won the race in the 4WD category followed by Marc Kreisig finishing 2nd and Richard Stiles 3rd while Stevo Backland succeeded to win the short course category race with his MCD W5. Our drivers had the opportunity to test the track and various set-ups with different tire combinations.

The races were organized by British Radio Car association – BRCA- as a part of the British championship. It was also a warm-up for the Euro-Championship Race which is going to be held at the same track in July.
And yes, there were 5ive-Ts at the event. When it comes to racing losi and mcd didn't get to where they were at by having crap for sale.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I wish Losi would make a buggy or truggy in this instead of stupid SC trucks. I like bodies to last. My Baja SS has been beaten to death and the body still looks new because of the open wheel design.