Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
1/8th scale dirt oval tires >

1/8th scale dirt oval tires

1/8th scale dirt oval tires

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8th scale dirt oval tires

i am new to dirt oval and am asking what tires you guys run?

i have been told the losi DLM2 tire is the way to go. anyone else use this tire or a simular tire. any info would be great.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I am running the stock Ofna tires that come with the dirt oval car kit. Some of the local racers run Losi DLM2s and some foam. All work on the track.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you can find them, Proline Dirty Harry's hook up on any oval....just my .02

all else fails find some cheap crime fighter style tires and go for broke...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Also, you need to check the rules for your track(s). At the track where I run 1/8th electric late model use DLMRA rules and they require Losi DLM2 or Ofna kit tires; foams are also allowed.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The best rubber tires i have found were the tires the old latemodels came with, the older 1.0 losi latemodel. They do well on high bite and loose dirt tracks. They react well with tire juice and react well to temp. if the track is smooth and high bite, your going to fall to foams, they are just hard to beat.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

also, get to walmart and get some PB Blast, and let it sit on the tires over night, RUBBER tire only, it makes the tires super soft, and get better when heat is built.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

I have 6 sets of the of the original tread Losi LM tire. Only difference is they are belted so the inner foam problem is a non issue. Tire doesn't balloon like dlm2 or ofna tires do when they unload. Pb blaster works well as does paragon, white can. $45/set of 4
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default GRP tires...

Those 1st generation tires were made by GRP I think. Not sure if they are made anymore.

Most tracks only allow the Ofna Street tire or the Losi DLM2 in 1/8 Late Model to keep costs down and so you don't have to drag a box of tires with you like you do in off-road.

For any of you that work in the printing industry or have buddies that do, another good tire treatment is a chemical called RBP (Blanket conditioner). It is used to soften offset press blankets and makes rubber soft and tacky, but doesn't eat them up. Just be careful and not get it on your skin too much, because it stings a little bit....
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Red face

Originally Posted by n10cities
Those 1st generation tires were made by GRP I think. Not sure if they are made anymore.

Most tracks only allow the Ofna Street tire or the Losi DLM2 in 1/8 Late Model to keep costs down and so you don't have to drag a box of tires with you like you do in off-road.

For any of you that work in the printing industry or have buddies that do, another good tire treatment is a chemical called RBP (Blanket conditioner). It is used to soften offset press blankets and makes rubber soft and tacky, but doesn't eat them up. Just be careful and not get it on your skin too much, because it stings a little bit....

GRP still makes the tire but comes glued onto their rim only. Really was an awesome tire but had issues with foam pulling away from rim. Belted version available in same compound as original. Once softened tire works really well without the problems of ballooning.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks you guys. i think our rules this year are gonna be stock losi street DLM2s and the stock ofna tires. people were really puttin a strain on the class with the tires. the rule is gonna read that you must run the same tires you TQ with.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does anyone have a suggestion regarding what size to true 1/8th foams down to? I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of a sidewall height similar to the Losi DLM2 rubber tires?

Thanks