Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Would maxamps have been better?
WORSE !

TOO HIGH PRICED
Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

venom_sc8e..........I have been reading this thread with interest as I am thinking about purchasing one of the Losi 5 and convert to E-power. I have been driving a converted 1/5th scale FG onroad car now for the past 5 years and have finally got the car so it handles well and has plenty of speed. I am using the Plentenberg BOLIDO 9hp motor in my car but could really use a smaller motor.

I think you may be over powering your setup and not only causing the cost to E-power to be high but the truck will be hard to handle if you intend on racing it. If you just want to run high power to mess around then you might be able to do that....but not racing. Actually 8s in this truck is on the edge of too much power.....I run 6s in my onroad car and it runs like a bat out of hell. If you go the high power route you must add to that a requirement for much stronger diffs, drive shafts, gears etc because the parts can not stand the power you are planning. In fact I have a "slipping clutch" in my car so I can hold it to the pavement. The slipping clutch will gradually come in once I am past 5000 rpm. With the clutch I can go from 26 volts to 34volts but no more.
Then there is another problem .....we have a clutch to tame the motor but I have lost the motor braking so I had to re-install the hydrulic brakes because using the motor as a brake also wears it out pretty quickly. This is due to massive strain from such a heavy car (11 pounds). Since most electric cars are direct drive using a slipper clutch decreased strain on the motor and allowed for smoother acceleration from such a powerful motor but I need the brakes.

I found that I must use 6000 mAh batteries and I run them in parallel to give 12,000mAh of use which equates to 20-30 minutes run time(a normal 1/5th onroad car main race). From what I have read there are a number of 10 pole motors which are lightweight which would work on 1/5th cars and trucks. One I have heard about is the Plettenberg HP 370. By using a 10 pole motor rather than the 6 pole I am using there is less resistance and the torque is increased. You can run 6s to 10s on this type of motor.

I would not spend extra money on batteries to over power the truck as you have too many problems which will come up. In no way would I go over 8s if I intend on racing the Losi 5. I would keep the Losi brakes and disable the motor braking.

I guess it all comes down to what you intend to do with the Losi 5 and how much money you are willing to spend. If you start out will a lower power....say 8s(or even 6s)....then see how the truck works.....if you still need more power then go to 10s......I think 10s is too much. Castle Creations set the conversion kit up for 8s and this was done for a reason.....because it worked in the many test they did.

I am in the process of switching over to 9s A-123 cells in my car. I will gain a little weight but I would only need one set of batteries as I can charge the A-123 cells @ 20 amps in the car.....never need to switch out batteries and takes only 15 minutes to charge the A-123s. The A-123s have less voltage than do the lipos so this is the reason I would run 9s A-123 cells. I am willing to take the extra weight to save on battery cost. I would lose some run times as the A-123 cells would give me only 4,500mah X 2+ 9,000mah rather than 12,000 in the lipos.

Last edited by madmax1965; 02-25-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

If this ever got going as an actual "class", I wouldn't be surprised to see a lipo limit of 8S since it would just mean picking up 2 of the common 4S ROAR legal packs.

Looking forward to seeing how things work out for you. As for batteries, personally I am very partial to thunder power and hyperion right now, as well as promatch racing which gives a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Rookie

I fly large scale EDF(electric ducted fan)jets and I have been using the 5300mah (@ 10s) Gen Ace batteries from HobbyPartz. Since EDF requires a battery which will supply amps to fly these planes I think GenAce would be a great lipo to use and they do have the hard packs for cars. ALSO the GenAce is half the cost Of TP and some of the more expensive lipos......not trying to take anything from TP but the GenAce have held up well. If I were going to run the Losi 5 in racing and using lipos I would go GenAce.

I am waiting for the time when the Losi 5 might be available without the gas engine....OR.....when it comes on line already converted to the CC Electric motor setup.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info brother ,appreciate it! I'll be bashing this more than racing honestly so I'm not to concerned on that. I'll start off on 8s & go up from there gradually & see how it holds up, from the looks of RC Madness & their 5ive-T brushless build, their's is holding up fine w/no issues, & they're running on 10-12s mostly. It'll take some tweaking but I'm looking forward to it, the esc is on its way, should be here next week.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

are your on road cars 4x4? cause a 2x4 i agree woud be VERY hard to drive if overpowered.

i think what needs to be done is look at this as a total package and not just run as much voltage as possible and see what happens.

if you decide u want to run 8 HP for racing a 5ive-t then what motor gives 8 HP on 12s or 8s or whatever.

next question is why is a 8hp motor better on 12s as a 8hp motor on 8S? idk. would you get more run time?
would a lower voltage system be smoother? IDK

my 5ive-t is pulling about 8 or 9 HP so far on 8s and is STUPID fast with the 2028 motor.not sure how to read the data graph. if you want my data just email me.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Addict

here is a jpg image of the graph. how much HP was i using?
Attached Thumbnails Losi 5ive-T Brushless Conversion Project-station2-graph.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

wheres the videos??
Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by auto2 View Post
are your on road cars 4x4? cause a 2x4 i agree woud be VERY hard to drive if overpowered.

i think what needs to be done is look at this as a total package and not just run as much voltage as possible and see what happens.

if you decide u want to run 8 HP for racing a 5ive-t then what motor gives 8 HP on 12s or 8s or whatever.

next question is why is a 8hp motor better on 12s as a 8hp motor on 8S? idk. would you get more run time?
would a lower voltage system be smoother? IDK

my 5ive-t is pulling about 8 or 9 HP so far on 8s and is STUPID fast with the 2028 motor.not sure how to read the data graph. if you want my data just email me.

I certainly don't know all the answers to this bro, LOL! But I would think you'd definitely get less run time on the 12s as you would on the 8s for sure, after debating I was initially thinking of running the lipos in series but now I think running them parallel would be more efficient to get the longer run times & its not like I have to worry about max HP output w/series, it's all ready gonna be a beast as is. How do you have your lipos setup??? I'd really like to see ur beast on 8s, haven't seen any vids on YT w/an 8s setup, can't you put ur camera on the ground & support it somehow? That's what I do most of the time w/my Itouch. I finally ordered a GoPro Hero Motorsports camera so it'll be a whole new perspective. I've seen some conversion charts online that can convert volts/amps to HP (estimated), not sure if its entirely accurate or not.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

here is a jpg image of the graph. how much HP was i using?
6KW is 8HP...
Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

sounds like your gonna have a great time anyway experimenting. hope you have a good assortment of pinions. i have a few if u ever need.:-)
let me know when the esc shows up
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

My on-road car is 2 wheel drive and until I installed the slipping clutch it was a handful on 6s....much less 8s and 10s would have been out of the question. No way would I go over 8s on the Losi if it is to be raced.....there is so much more torque on these E-motors than on fuel engines........no comparison. Since the Losi is an off-road truck you don't need all the torkie-power because you will just get wheel-spin where as the on road car can connect up to the blacktop. Also you must remember you will have a lower center of gravity using the electric setup unless you add too much battery weight. You can also run a higher-gearing in the truck using E-power....you will still have all the bottom end power as well as a higher top end.The other problem I had with my on-road car was tearing the rubber on the tires.......just so much power I was ripping chinks out of my tires. The tires on the Losi will take a beating too if you apply too much (torque)power to them. As I said I would go with 8s if I were racing the truck.

I will sit back and watch you guys as you do the conversion before I jump in.....we want video.

Oh by the way the CC setup should give you at least 8-9 H.P. on 8s....no problem on that at all.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

darn video is a problem. snow on the ground. track is flooded. and no camera man:-( anyone want to hold the camera while i drive inbetween your legs at 50mph?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

the losi can handle 12s. but its a waste in my opinion. once the tires are pizza cutters ripping the rubber off the rims adding more HP doesnt do much when u cant put it to the ground. but its nothing like a 2wd. the thing is drivable over powered like this, no instant dounuts when u hit the throttle like 2wd.

with the center dif with light weight oil in it( which makes it drive so good on the track) the ft tires really go nuts on power. if im geared for 46 MPG then the ft tires are going a good 80MPH when they loose traction.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

sounds like your gonna have a great time anyway experimenting. hope you have a good assortment of pinions. i have a few if u ever need.:-)
let me know when the esc shows up
I'll let u know for sure! Hate waiting!!! I have a 16t & 18t, should be good w/either one of 'em, I was thinking the 18t so it'll take some of the torque away, maybe make it a little more manageable. I heard that you need to put a heavier weight in the center diff, what do you have on yours?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service