hpi 5sc ss gearing help

Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default hpi 5sc ss gearing help

hey guys im getting a 5sc ss kit and was wondering what would be a good gearing combination im spending heaps on this car and dont want to waste any more on gears i dont need lol im putting nearly $1100.00 of upgeades on this car 33 items

1.HPI Baja 5SC SS "Special Edition" Kit 1/5 Gas Truck w/ 29cc Fuelie 29S Engine
2.TeamFastEddy Complete Professional Series Bearing Upgrade Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
3.Team FastEddy Small Parts Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T
4.Team Chase Carb Diaphragm Filter
5.DDM "Black Magic" 6v Ni-MH 4600mAh Hump Receiver Battery Pack for HPI Baja 5B/5T
6.DDM "Black Magic" 6v Ni-MH 4600mAh Hump Receiver Battery Pack for HPI Baja 5B/5T
7.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Medium .5mm
8.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thin .2mm
9.Team FastEddy Pro Series Shim Kit
10.Team FastEddy Steering Post Shim Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T
11.Darksoul "MeatyMount" Servo Mount/Adapter
12.Hitec 5755MG (Rhino) Digital Steering Servo
13.Hostile Plastic Spur Gear - 56T - For HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
14.OW Crankcase/Flywheel Cover - BLACK
15.DDM Metal Starter Pawl for Zenoah / CY Engines
16.RPM Front Arms - BLACK
17.RPM Rear Arms - BLACK
18.Killer RC "Killer Cables" Suspension Limiting Cables - BLACK
19.Pro-Line "Trencher" Tire/Foam Set Mounted on "Split Six" FRONT Wheels for HPI Baja 5T/5SC
20.Pro-Line "Trencher" Tire/Foam Set Mounted on "Split Six" REAR Wheels for HPI Baja 5T/5SC
21.Pull Start Cover - DDM Black
22.Hitec 7955TG Coreless Digital Throttle Servo
23.Hostile Plastic Spur Gear - 57T - For HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
24.QuasiFiber Front Shock Tower & Upper Hinge Pin Brace for HPI Baja 5B/5T
25.Full Force Shock Boots for HPI Baja 5b/5T - Black
26.DDM Enclosed Wheel Nuts for HPI Baja 5b/5T - Black
27.Team Twisted RC (Yamadude) Throttle Linkage Set for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC - BLACK
28.Killer RC v2-S "Killer Bee" Failsafe / Soldered Kill Switch Combo (Optional Buzzer / LED)
29.Outerwears BLACK DDM Logo
30.TR Clutch System GUNMETAL
31.18T pinion for TR clutches/RR spur
32.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thick 1mm
33.Team Chase High Strength Plastic Roll Cage for HPI Baja 5T/5SC - Black

= Total $2,473.94!!!!!!

I think theres enough upgrades haha
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

WOW, that's a lot of extra stuff your probablly not going to need right away. What are you getting your Baja for? Are you going to race it, and what type of racing? Will you ever run it in sand? Sand can really mess up your Baja if you don't have the right protection for it. I can see lots of things you could probablly drop from your list to save a little cash, but it helps to know exactly what you'll be doing with your Baja to help me (and others) figure out exactly what's a must have for you.

First off, since you bought the SS kit, I would say you need to get an electric screw driver. NOT a drill, but a screwdriver. If you're using a drill, it's too easy to strip out your plastic if your clutch isn't set right. You can get a good one with a good clutch, or a cheep one that doesn't have enough power to strip out your plastic. An electic screwdrive makes this hobby much easier on your forarms, and your temper.

Two batteries(#5, & 6 on your list)? One should be enough, these are a pain to swap out too. It's much easier to just wait while it recharges. That battery should easily last two tanks, unless your running a lot of lights.

TR clutch system is something I recomend for every Baja. If you want to run your Baja in sand, or really fine dirt, you should get the one that's enclosed. I don't run in sand, so I use the racing version because it's lighter.

Outerwears Prefilters for the pullstarter, crankcase, and air filter are a must. I've never run my Baja without them.

Killer RC's Killer Cables suspension limiting straps. I have the racing set. These help adjust ride highth for different conditions. Lowered down for pavement, higher for dirt, and even higher for bumpy dirt conditions. These aren't an absolute must have item, but they limit suspension breakage caused during nasty flips when your suspension get's overextended. If your a basher, the cheep set should set you up fine.

Killer B failsafe, the most important piece of safty equipment for any Baja. Just be shure to get the one that's right for your needs, and compatible with your radio.

Extra tires, yes, you'll need extra tires, in fact you might need more. The best thing about these are the beadlock rims. You don't have to throw away rims every time you throw away tires.

I'm not to familiar with the new dogbones on the 5SC, but for buggies, I would recomend some better dogbones, I use the DS V2 "Meaty Bonz", but the new V3 ones are even better. Instead of breaking your whole dogbone, you just snap the pins in the end. Just don't forget to buy some extra pins too.

That's my list of must have items for every Baja. Let us know what you're planning on doing with your Baja so we can be shure you've got everything you'll need.

Last edited by upDUHcreek; 01-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Alot of stuff on that list isn't needed with the initial purchase. Don't make the same mistake I did with my first Baja and buy all the parts you read about breaking. I have easily $400 worth of parts hanging on the wall that haven't been needed in over a year
Pick up said parts down the road if you need them and save the cash upfront.

2.TeamFastEddy Complete Professional Series Bearing Upgrade Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC - Run the stock and just keep them clean
3.Team FastEddy Small Parts Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T - More than enough spares with the kit
5.DDM "Black Magic" 6v Ni-MH 4600mAh Hump Receiver Battery Pack for HPI Baja 5B/5T - One battery will last you a couple hours and swapping out is a pain
7.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Medium .5mm -Hardware store of Mcmaster Carr for more qty and less price
8.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thin .2mm - -Hardware store of Mcmaster Carr for more qty and less price
9.Team FastEddy Pro Series Shim Kit - -Hardware store of Mcmaster Carr for more qty and less price
10.Team FastEddy Steering Post Shim Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T - -Hardware store of Mcmaster Carr for more qty and less price
15.DDM Metal Starter Pawl for Zenoah / CY Engines - Engage the pawl befor yanking and remember its not a lawnmower, stock will last
16.RPM Front Arms - BLACK - let the stock break first, they can take a good bashing
17.RPM Rear Arms - BLACK - let the stock break first, they can take a good bashing
24.QuasiFiber Front Shock Tower & Upper Hinge Pin Brace for HPI Baja 5B/5T
32.Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thick 1mm - -Hardware store of Mcmaster Carr for more qty and less price
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the long replys and yer im running in sandy conditions and dirt and im only getting the arms so if i ever brake i dont have to wait for weeks to recieve them (i live in Australia) and the ss doesnt come with a battery thats why im getting on lol and im doing alot of bashing and big jumps but also some racing and im for ever going through bearings on my other cars because i run in fine dirt but i always clean them and lube the up so i just have them for spares
Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

so whats a good gearing setup and do you think i should change the pipe and would it make a difference? and would the losi 5ive t need more upgrades or just a bigger engine and pipe?

Last edited by Gilly2011; 01-13-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I should have looked where you were at first. Spares don't hurt but these kits can take a beating if you wanted to save some cash. Check out Avid for bearings, their priced well and I've have never had a problem (plus they know have Baja kits all in one).
For gearing, I run the stock 26 in my 5B with 17/57 gears and a dom v2 pipe. Its probably not the best pipe for racing but the gearing seems good for a middle ground of bashing/racing. plenty of torque courtesy of the pipe and the top end surprises me every time I take it out. I would start with 17/57 and maybe go 18/56 if you want to calm down the low end grunt and gain a little on the top end. Depends what your looking for.

I haven't seen a Losi in person but from what I've seen it will definitely need a bigger motor. personally, I am going to wait and see if Losi releases a kit before I pull the trigger.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yup, 18/56 with the rear dom is the way to go.

and upgrade as you break. everone has there own driving style.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

whats a good budget pipe around the $110 to $140 but im looking a a side one sort of like the side dominater
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default youll be aight

no side mount pipe for 140 bucks but i do have a mint jetpro v3 pipe with silencer if you interested.

......listen dude run that sh## and then upgrade it as you brake.....but a few must haves are tr enclosed clutch system hitec 5755 and pa racing servo mount .get all aluminum servo horns also get shock limiters and outwears for the air filter pullstart and engine also get yourself some silverback lipped outer bead locks you wont regret it and get a team chase roll cage THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TEAM CHASE ROLL CAGE.you can buy the cage now or buy new bodies when you shatter the body so get a cage..also check into phatdad shock shafts and darksoul o rings or threshhold seals ...let me tell your shocks are very impotant you also might want to get some hpi blue springs or ddm %20 stiffer ones youll need em..also rpm arms all the way around ......start with this stuff and you good dude ...also go plant a money tree in the backyard and dont forget to warter it cause your gona need the money.....i race all day long with my transponder and digital servos on a 4600 mah black magic pack and thats fine....last but not least buddy try pipes they do so much for the stock and modified engines you can go wrong with investing in pipes bro just do some research and fine what kind of performance you want high,mid,low end youll find em all.....jetpro,cpi,flowsystems and dominator series are all good choices NOW GO HAVE SOME FUN CAUSE ITS BAD ASS... ONCE YOU GO 5TH SCALE ITS OVER

ALSO IF YOU PLAN ON RACING YOUR SC OR TRACK RIDING GET A SLIPPER CLUTCH OR BUY SPUR GEARS FOR YOU BOX CAUSE IT EATS EM UP BAD