the new x from traxxas

Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
  #226  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Happy Meal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bentgear
I think Traxxas is the largest so something about their business model must be right.
Traxxas has probably done more to introduce the masses to RC than anyone else out there.
The one time Traxxas actually made a race vehicle aimed at an existing class it was national champion. I think it was discontinued because of lack of sales compared to their other vehicles.
Racing of any type of RC vehicle is small potatoes compared to the overall market.

What about their business model is so wrong?
+1!! Finally someone who gets it! And it isn't that Traxxas has PROBABLY done more to introduce the masses to RC, no other manufacturer has come close to their outside influence....:-)
Happy Meal is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 AM
  #227  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
This has been answered 1000 times.... Read the threads....used gen2 iPods are $50 on eBay..... You confuse the crap out of people when u say that:-)))
He's not confusing anyone with his statement. It's the truth.

Fact is the car is not 100mph out of the box, period.
boom is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 AM
  #228  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
RCaddict0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virgina
Posts: 3,526
Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default

Lots of anger and bickering over this. It's a sweet $1000 RC. Like the Baja, Losi 5t and so on. It's very well designed and apperently extremely fast! It's onroad. Why all they fighting? Ya love it or hate it. You think its worth it or you don't. Buy it or don't.
Why no fights over the new Losi? It makes no sense to me.
Much love guys! Lets all wait and see what its about when it hits the masses.
RCaddict0 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 05:59 PM
  #229  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,016
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Lots of anger and bickering over this. It's a sweet $1000 RC. Like the Baja, Losi 5t and so on. It's very well designed and apperently extremely fast! It's onroad. Why all they fighting? Ya love it or hate it. You think its worth it or you don't. Buy it or don't.
Why no fights over the new Losi? It makes no sense to me.
Much love guys! Lets all wait and see what its about when it hits the masses.
the problem is not in the car, is where traxxas decided it needs an apple product to unlock so it can do its claimed "100mph+ out of the box" which clearly it doesnt.
disaster999 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
  #230  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (9)
 
wolf16731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schreveport, LA
Posts: 849
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by disaster999
the problem is not in the car, is where traxxas decided it needs an apple product to unlock so it can do its claimed "100mph+ out of the box" which clearly it doesnt.
I think that the only reason they use the whole iPod thing is because they figure almost everyone has them. Besides, I am sure you have friends with one that wouldn't mind letting you borrow it to unlock this restrictor so they can see it perform this 100mph feat themself.

I like it, personally. So far it is the only onroad car that I have seen have useful diffusers. If the body holds the XO-1 to the ground like a few testers commented it did, then I don't care how it looks. They made it work. I hear a lot of people say "Performance over looks.." but after reading this thread, it seems that some of you don't really want to stick by that saying. If I had a onroad car that cost me over $1000 and does 100mph, that body better be able to get the car to stick to the road rather than taking off into the air like a badly built fighter jet! That is just bad ju-ju right there!

Besides, I am just wondering how much work would it take to convert it to a "rally car?"
wolf16731 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM
  #231  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wolf16731
I think that the only reason they use the whole iPod thing is because they figure almost everyone has them. Besides, I am sure you have friends with one
Based on the 'anger' and 'bickering' present in this thread you can see that far from almost everyone has an idevice.

No one would care if they required an Apple device if they didn't lock it to begin with.
boom is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
  #232  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,016
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wolf16731
I think that the only reason they use the whole iPod thing is because they figure almost everyone has them. Besides, I am sure you have friends with one that wouldn't mind letting you borrow it to unlock this restrictor so they can see it perform this 100mph feat themself.
you are missing the point entirely.

like boom said, and what this thread shows, not everyone has an apple product, nor do they want to borrow, buy, steal, beg, whatever to unlock a $1k+ car.
disaster999 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
  #233  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
RCaddict0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virgina
Posts: 3,526
Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default

I like it
Yay Traxxas!
RCaddict0 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
  #234  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (9)
 
wolf16731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schreveport, LA
Posts: 849
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, but I don't think all the people in RC actually post here. Could be wrong, but I do have a feeling..

It isn't really that big of a deal to me. Partly due to the fact that I would never own one anyways. Onroad just isn't my thing.

Others have mentioned that used iPods are fairly cheap on eBay or anywhere else. The way I see it, it is just another version of a Tekin Hotwire, or the Castle Link, or anything else like that for that matter. Most people who take the time and care to build a proper 100+mph RC rig probably end up spending a bit more than what this XO-1 costs anyways. (Or so I would imagine..)

At least the iPod thing will do more than just unlock this thing. You do have telemetry, all of the radio settings, saved profiles, and more other little things that don't really matter in the long run. But at least it gives the iPod purchase some value after the act of unlocking it. So at least it can still be used for other things, unlike a Tekin Hotwire and the other kinds out there.

There are plenty of 1/5 scale models out there that cost more than this, go slower, and come out of the box with many more faults that cost more than a used iPod to fix. The only thing left to do is see how these hold up under use. Hopefully, there will not be as many faults to make up for this one shortcoming so far.
wolf16731 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
  #235  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 543
Default

Any bets on how many of the people bitchin about having to use an Apple to unlock the speed would seriously even consider buying the car? My money would be on less that 1 percent.
bentgear is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
  #236  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 247
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

minimum one month shipping delay on these cars. Just got the word.
RRHobbyDepot is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
  #237  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
disaster999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,016
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bentgear
Any bets on how many of the people bitchin about having to use an Apple to unlock the speed would seriously even consider buying the car? My money would be on less that 1 percent.
I wouldn't buy it if it uses android, rim, symbian or windows system. Were not only bitching about using apple

Last edited by disaster999; 12-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
disaster999 is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM
  #238  
Tech Master
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 1,169
Default

I think that the price of the car, and the fact that the true performance needs to be unlocked (not easily it seems...), should tell you that they don't want just any old fool who has never driven a serious car, throw down a wad of cash and go 100mph in a parking lot and hurting someone. I know I sure wouldn't want some shmuck running one of these cars around me that has never driven a mod sedan, 1/8 gas, etc. Hell I've driven some fast rc cars, and I don't think I would even trust myself, lol.

That being said, that is one awesome piece of engineering, and I applaud Traxxas for producing it. People often times knock the RTR stuff, but this is on a whole other level of Badass.
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
  #239  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (97)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,395
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Those of you that do not plan on buying this product, can you do the rest of us a favour and just skip past this thread. You've made your point quite clear.. Please allow the rest of us enjoy this thread.
Raman is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM
  #240  
Tech Master
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 1,169
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
Those of you that do not plan on buying this product, can you do the rest of us a favour and just skip past this thread. You've made your point quite clear.. Please allow the rest of us enjoy this thread.
+1
cementsurfer86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.