Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

LOSI 5IVE-T 4WD OFFROAD RACING TRUCK

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Here's my first video with my GoPro HD onboard my Losi 5ive-T. It's nothing fancy, just going somewhat fast in a empty parking lot. I was also testing out the GoPro attachment on on-road. I really don't thing it would survive an off-road beating.

I'm currently running the stock can again. My last two attempts with adding a tune pipe has been meet with good results. The first pipe, the Jet Pro Rear Mounted (silenced) was great. Good low end power and the sound was good and nothing that would get me kicked out of my neighborhood. The second pipe, the Bartolone was awesome! The power increase was much more than the Jet Pro Rear but because of the way the pipe is mounted, it cracked the bolt area where it needs to be bolted. So now I can't properly secure either pipe.

I will also warn you, the noise coming out of the Bartolone pipe is deafening but that's the price your pay for the power it gives your motor. I think my next pipe will be the Samba.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by FangsCPO; 05-29-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

nice vid bro, I have the Jetpro cyclone pipe & luv it!!! Loud as hell
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by IB-Steve
I dont think a standard servo setup is ever going to work and it has nothing to do with the torque rating of the servo. The standard servo's gears are just not physically big enough to handle the abuse of a 40lb truck. When you land say on one tire in a botched landing you are putting the whole weight of the truck plus the inertia on that little tiny gear in the standard servo. Not matter how strong the servo is even if its 1000oz inch's you are putting way more pressure then that on the gears when the servo saver reaches its limit and your smacking it with 40lbs of 5ive something is gonna give and so far its the gears that are the weak link. Steve already tried this with very very good quality servo's and it didnt last but 1 tank and $250 worth of servo's were ruined. I watched the new setup with the 5765's go tank after tank and turn on a dime plus the 5765's are only $80 each so you could keep a few spares and spend less then a 7955th setup.

QUOTE]
Dual, triple, even quad servos are used in large scale planes. Before you say they're just floating around in fluffy soft clouds.......keep in mind how much force we're talking about here in giant scale planes with huge control surfaces.

At first i though a bunch of 7955 servos would snap a balsa and ply control surface like a twig. I was wrong.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkkaaXm3gc&feature=plcp

COOL SPOT FOR 5IVE TO RUN IN TUCSON.NEXT VID WELL BE WITH OBR STROKER WITH LOUD AS HELL JET PRO
Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by venom_sc8e
nice vid bro, I have the Jetpro cyclone pipe & luv it!!! Loud as hell
I'm running the JetPro Rear Mounted Pipe, not where as loud as the Cyclone but I'd be surprise if any pipe is louder than the Bartolone. That pipe is super loud and it makes your rig feel like you move up your pinion two teeth. Amazing stuff!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

OK, so what are the concensus "weak links" on this truck? I see people stating that the steering servo is an issue? Are you guys telling me that a steering servo like say a Hitech 7950 with basically 400-500oz. of torque depending on voltage supplied isnt strong enough? Im having a hard time believing that if thats the case. Id like to see someone strip a gear on a 7950 even if its set up improperly. Pretty hard to do with a 3 way fail safe, especially with the Hitec servo programmer module..........

Any other issues out of the box?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It not that if it strong enough but will it last a tank which is around 40min or a 30min main without over heating.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
It not that if it strong enough but will it last a tank which is around 40min or a 30min main without over heating.
Hitec's high end G/79 series servos have no issues with long duration run times.............IMO if your going to spend $1500 for a 5th scale performance 4wd vehicle the last thing you should be doing is skimping on a cheap $50 steering servo. Something like a Hitec 7950 should be a requirement. I sure wouldn't be putting in an economy "sport" servo in there...........will your dual steering servo plates fit other Hitec servos other than the 5765's? Like say a pair of 7950's or 7980's?

Last edited by ntrain42; 07-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Hitec's high end G/79 series servos have no issues with long duration run times.............IMO if your going to spend $1500 for a 5th scale performance 4wd vehicle the last thing you should be doing is skimping on a cheap $50 steering servo. Something like a Hitec 7950 should be a requirement. I sure wouldn't be putting in an economy "sport" servo in there...........will your dual steering servo plates fit other Hitec servos other than the 5765's? Like say a pair of 7950's or 7980's?
Originally Posted by IB-Steve
I dont think a standard servo setup is ever going to work and it has nothing to do with the torque rating of the servo. The standard servo's gears are just not physically big enough to handle the abuse of a 40lb truck. When you land say on one tire in a botched landing you are putting the whole weight of the truck plus the inertia on that little tiny gear in the standard servo. Not matter how strong the servo is even if its 1000oz inch's you are putting way more pressure then that on the gears when the servo saver reaches its limit and your smacking it with 40lbs of 5ive something is gonna give and so far its the gears that are the weak link. Steve already tried this with very very good quality servo's and it didnt last but 1 tank and $250 worth of servo's were ruined. I watched the new setup with the 5765's go tank after tank and turn on a dime plus the 5765's are only $80 each so you could keep a few spares and spend less then a 7955th setup.

I think this has more to do with demand not that they cant do it. Until now there really hasn't been a market for a 1/4 scale servo that strong. Unfortunately I don't think there are enough 5ive's on the market yet to warrant a company like Hitec to make a servo that is only really targeted to 1 vehicle on the market. With the HPI 4x4 coiming out soon though maybe we will see someone step up to the plate. My problem is I cant wait that long. My 5IVE is like crack to me now and with servo issues its like my needle is broken and Im jonesin for another hit. So dual servo's it is for now so STEVE HURRY UP ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think this previous post from IB Steve sums it up pretty accurately regarding standard sized servos.

Steve (SNR) - sup man - I finally got my 5ive and just ordered up the dual Savox setup. Nice chatting with you at RCX. Hope to see you out at the track soon.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default servos

Please correct me if im wrong, but isnt the hitec 7950 a standard size servo and not a 5th/1/4 scale?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rice_man
I think this previous post from IB Steve sums it up pretty accurately regarding standard sized servos.

Steve (SNR) - sup man - I finally got my 5ive and just ordered up the dual Savox setup. Nice chatting with you at RCX. Hope to see you out at the track soon.
See.....how should this be interpreted though? "The standard servo setup" : Are we talking about the stock Losi servo specifically? Or are we talking about a standard SIZED servo? And if so, has anyone had a shaft on say a Hitec 7950 or similiar break? Some of these G2 HD Hitec servos have enough twisting force to snap aluminum parts in half without even sneezing. The quality is by far and away vastly superior what comes stock with the 5ive T.

So I think this needs to be clarified more because Im having a hard time thinking the output shaft on a 7950 or 7980 etc is going to snap.....40 pound truck or not I can think of plenty of other parts that will easily break first........
Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rice_man

I thought that was you but I wasn't sure. How you been I still run mine every week at Irvine Lake R/C Park.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

See.....how should this be interpreted though? "The standard servo setup" : Are we talking about the stock Losi servo specifically? Or are we talking about a standard SIZED servo? And if so, has anyone had a shaft on say a Hitec 7950 or similiar break? Some of these G2 HD Hitec servos have enough twisting force to snap aluminum parts in half without even sneezing. The quality is by far and away vastly superior what comes stock with the 5ive T.

So I think this needs to be clarified more because Im having a hard time thinking the output shaft on a 7950 or 7980 etc is going to snap.....40 pound truck or not I can think of plenty of other parts that will easily break first........
I had 2 Airtronics 94780 $130 each go bad on me in less than on tank. These servo is rated at 430oz each die.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
I had 2 Airtronics 94780 $130 each go bad on me in less than on tank. These servo is rated at 430oz each die.
OK, well this clarifies up a bit. I will say this the 94780 is not in the same category as the G2 high voltage Hitec servos. Not talking power/speed specs here, but talking gear/shaft/bearing core motor materials and overall durability. Case flex is also very common with them. Id put em a step below the Savox stuff actually minus the coreless motor(which is vastly superior).
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Dual standard sized servos overheat and fade, regardless of brand.

The best settup so far is dual hitec 5765's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.