HPI vs. CLONE

Reply

Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
xl8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ewa beach, hawaii
Posts: 282
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default HPI vs. CLONE

so why do some of the hpi guys bash on someone who's thinking about getting a clone? the way I see it is if someone wants to save a couple hunderd bucks on a clone so be it. after all hpi will still make some money on the parts that need replacing right. now doesn't most manufactures make alot more money on thier parts then thier kit. I'm sure they made all money back from all the R&D. now if you bought a 2nd hand or used one did hpi make any thing on you, I don't think so. so whats the big deal. next time someone wants to buy a clone don't be a tool!!! be cool about it you just might be rubb'n fenders with them and having a blast. or if you know someone who wants one but doesn't want to spend $1100+ on a 5th scale like your hpi just to see whats all the hype about. tell them theres other brands like ROVAN, KM, HK that has interchangeable parts with an hpi. and you now have someone else to race/bash with. so lets have some fun and stop bashing on people who wants or asking question about a clone. no matter what brand we buy its all about the fun right!!!

xl8er
xl8er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

I disagree, it's not just about fun. Clones are a rip-off of another companies hard work. Why would you expect people to praise and support that?
I don't know what arguement you have carried this from, but supporting companies that basically steal other people tech is crap.
JR007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM
  #3  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (313)
 
nexxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,649
Trader Rating: 313 (100%+)
Default

If it gets new people into the hobby why not? I know a couple of mates who bought clones, basshed them and found they were relatively fragile but it got the enthusiasm from a passing fancy to full on rc nut, and they both went on and bought HPI Baja's, these 'clones' are now nothing but parts doners at the back of the shed.

But there is a lot of 'clone hate' on the forums, and sometimes those attacks get very personal, which I think is a shame, the hobby is meant to be fun isn't it? RC is RC, whether it's a Clone Baja, a HPI, an Xray or a K Mart spec Tyco.
nexxus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 AM
  #4  
Suspended
iTrader: (440)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

Yeah it's kinda sad everyone turns it into a personal attack on anyone that owns a clone.

People acting like little spoiled babies and making fun of clone owners isn't going to change anything. The clones will STILL be made and people will STILL buy them regardless of what other's opinions are. So at the end of the day is it really worth it to badmouth complete strangers just because of their rc choice????

Everyone should just enjoy what they own. I think clones are good for the rc market. They get newcomers into the hobby for cheaper and most when they break end up buying hpi parts anyway. So hpi still benefits from clones in a way.

Last edited by MattP; 08-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.
MattP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM
  #5  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Tim Neja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 607
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'll never understand why people think it's okay to RIP OFF original designers? Simply because some idiot clones their hard work with cheap crap and then undercuts their fair price? Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense-- I suppose it's okay also to steal from your neighbor because he has so much more stuff than you? Same logic,
T
Tim Neja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
upDUHcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 180
Default

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
Yeah it's kinda sad everyone turns it into a personal attack on anyone that owns a clone.

If you wanna see some of that bs just look at my KM T1000 thread on here. I get verbally attacked several times for owning a clone......

People acting like little spoiled babies and making fun of clone owners isn't going to change anything. The clones will STILL be made and people will STILL buy them regardless of what other's opinions are. So at the end of the day is it really worth it to badmouth complete strangers just because of their rc choice????
Hello??? Are you kidding me? I have to call BS on that one. YOU are the one who started the personal attacks. This is NOT a personal attack.

"Buying a clone gives nothing back to the baja community. Ask the companies you mentioned what they think about clones."

And to that post you responded with this.

"I bet 99% of the companies could care less what vehicle the parts are going on. They are in business to make money. If they cared as much as you wanna portray they do then they would just give you the parts at cost and making them would only be a "hobby" for them to "help" fellow HPI owners........

I honestly think it's sad how some of these baja events are banning clones from competing. That's like you going to the dragstrip with a import car and since there are only american muscle there they tell you to leave and you can't run. When I'm in the staging lanes in one of my mustangs I could care less who is beside me and what they are driving. As long as they enjoy being there and enjoy there vehicle they own THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS....

Go stink up someone else's threads with negative comments. Hey while your at it go find a local kid that just saved up enough money to buy a stampede and is outside with a smile on his face and tell him since it ain't a HPI savage it's a POS.......That is since you like downing everyone's choices so much... "


The last paragraph of YOUR post is a personal attack. You started the attacks, yet you blame them on others? Who's the spoiled little baby here?
upDUHcreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 263
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

if you took that analogy as an attack then you are hyper-sensitive. i see nothing at all wrong with what he wrote. edit: in fact, your ensuing post was where the attacks started.

i also feel like clones are shameless, but at their price point i dont think they are stealing any potential buyers from any of the name brands. i do also feel like they are a revenue generator as far as replacement parts are concerned for the name brand companies.

nobody with a ~$500 budget will even consider a baja, but you can be sure they will most likely be buying baja parts since they are more readily available. and every hobby shop i talk to tells me that the profits are in parts sales, not in kits.
turbo4age is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
xl8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ewa beach, hawaii
Posts: 282
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
I disagree, it's not just about fun. Clones are a rip-off of another companies hard work. Why would you expect people to praise and support that?
I don't know what arguement you have carried this from, but supporting companies that basically steal other people tech is crap.
well it like I said thier still makeing money on thier design with the parts that that they sell when a clone breaks and replaces it with hpi OME parts.
and oh yeah it is about the fun.
xl8er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 263
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xl8er View Post
and oh yeah it is about the fun.
it is for me too. do people actually willingly pay (significantly in most cases) for a hobby they dont find enjoyable or fun?
turbo4age is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
xl8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ewa beach, hawaii
Posts: 282
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

look if hpi or any other manufacture were so worried about someone stealing thier design why would they make it china, the knock-off capital of the wrold.
xl8er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
  #11  
Suspended
iTrader: (440)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by upDUHcreek View Post
Hello??? Are you kidding me? I have to call BS on that one. YOU are the one who started the personal attacks. This is NOT a personal attack.

"Buying a clone gives nothing back to the baja community. Ask the companies you mentioned what they think about clones."

And to that post you responded with this.

"I bet 99% of the companies could care less what vehicle the parts are going on. They are in business to make money. If they cared as much as you wanna portray they do then they would just give you the parts at cost and making them would only be a "hobby" for them to "help" fellow HPI owners........

I honestly think it's sad how some of these baja events are banning clones from competing. That's like you going to the dragstrip with a import car and since there are only american muscle there they tell you to leave and you can't run. When I'm in the staging lanes in one of my mustangs I could care less who is beside me and what they are driving. As long as they enjoy being there and enjoy there vehicle they own THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS....

Go stink up someone else's threads with negative comments. Hey while your at it go find a local kid that just saved up enough money to buy a stampede and is outside with a smile on his face and tell him since it ain't a HPI savage it's a POS.......That is since you like downing everyone's choices so much... "


The last paragraph of YOUR post is a personal attack. You started the attacks, yet you blame them on others? Who's the spoiled little baby here?
I'm just sick and tired of all the hpi vs. clone crap on here and every other site. EVERY single time someone mentions a clone a bunch of people get their panties in a bunch. I'm done on here with you and all the other clone haters. Guys go ahead and post whatever you like because I will NOT respond anymore to your childish hpi fanboy posts........
MattP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
xl8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ewa beach, hawaii
Posts: 282
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by turbo4age View Post
it is for me too. do people actually willingly pay (significantly in most cases) for a hobby they dont find enjoyable or fun?
xl8er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trillville
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

From what I hear, HPI "silently approves" of the clones because it generates more money for them (through parts sales) that they would not have realized otherwise.

So it's kind of silly to bash the HPI clone makers, because in essence, that's the same as bashing HPI themselves! LOL
Robs Pics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (49)
 
aaron2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,318
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Robs Pics View Post
From what I hear, HPI "silently approves" of the clones because it generates more money for them (through parts sales) that they would not have realized otherwise.

So it's kind of silly to bash the HPI clone makers, because in essence, that's the same as bashing HPI themselves! LOL
I would love to hear HPI's version of the story. To be able to actually read it in print... from HPI on HOW they were copied in the first place, what they have done to try to protect their designs, or whatever. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they are importing from the same suppliers since it's harder to track what is produced in China.

The smaller USA companies getting their designs copied pisses me off more than KM and Rovan vs. HPI. Without our popular selection of brands of baja parts, all of our enjoyment of the Baja platform would truly suffer! Imagine having to run stock tires forever, or not having Tripp or Woodster around making durable bodies... No R&D going into twin engines, or cages, or pipes, etc.... I have a couple Integy parts on my rig, but only because I'm too broke to replace them with better. One is a direct rip-off of Turtle's clutch even.

I will say this though... I gave up on clones, since I have what some would say "The Corvette Mentallity," blah blah blah. But I really feel HPI doesn't give a shit about their customers, in that they continue to try to rape us of our hard earned money. Case in point, the 5SC bodies. The 5T bodies even. They are over priced, mass produced junk. Why the heck anyone would pay full price for a stock body is absolutely mind boggling. I could see creating a mold, and using some thin lexan for test runs, to be shredded, but that is where the buck should stop. If it weren't for getting a blem body from Tripp a few months back, my 5th scale days would be over!

Somebody else posted something to this affect, and it really hits home..
"Pay now, or pay later... with 5th scale, you're gonna pay!"

Last edited by aaron2u; 08-02-2011 at 12:20 AM.
aaron2u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
  #15  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 247
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aaron2u View Post
I would love to hear HPI's version of the story. To be able to actually read it in print... from HPI on HOW they were copied in the first place, what they have done to try to protect their designs, or whatever. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they are importing from the same suppliers since it's harder to track what is produced in China.

The smaller USA companies getting their designs copied pisses me off more than KM and Rovan vs. HPI. Without our popular selection of brands of baja parts, all of our enjoyment of the Baja platform would truly suffer! Imagine having to run stock tires forever, or not having Tripp or Woodster around making durable bodies... No R&D going into twin engines, or cages, or pipes, etc.... I have a couple Integy parts on my rig, but only because I'm too broke to replace them with better. One is a direct rip-off of Turtle's clutch even.

I will say this though... I gave up on clones, since I have what some would say "The Corvette Mentallity," blah blah blah. But I really feel HPI doesn't give a shit about their customers, in that they continue to try to rape us of our hard earned money. Case in point, the 5SC bodies. The 5T bodies even. They are over priced, mass produced junk. Why the heck anyone would pay full price for a stock body is absolutely mind boggling. I could see creating a mold, and using some thin lexan for test runs, to be shredded, but that is where the buck should stop. If it weren't for getting a blem body from Tripp a few months back, my 5th scale days would be over!

Somebody else posted something to this affect, and it really hits home..
"Pay now, or pay later... with 5th scale, you're gonna pay!"
5th scale is the most durable scale of r/c land vehicle that I've ever worked with. As long as your not trying to land some big jumps it'll hold up pretty well.
RRHobbyDepot is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service