HPI vs. CLONE

Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml View Post
Some of you are seriously misinformed.

Supporting other companies that are copying parts? Sorry, Turtle racing, Hostile, etc., are making replacement parts, not EXACT copies. They have r&d into their parts, not just duplicating.

It is ONLY about having fun? Yes, rc is about having fun. So when the guy who steals your stuff so he too can "have fun", I hope everyone welcomes him aboard.

If you think buying a product that is counterfeit is ok, you are part of the problem. Defend it all you want, but that is why so many have an issue with clones and people that buy them. It is not a superior or elitist attitude, it is about a company being ripped off. Buy another brand, Duratrax, or the Redcat Rampage series. Nobody will have an issue with that, but when you buy a product that clearly is ripped off from another company and try to defend that, don't expect everyone to smile and say welcome.
Who said Turtle and Hostile are making knock-offs?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron2u View Post
Who said Turtle and Hostile are making knock-offs?
Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl View Post
i find it funny when people will bash a clone, yet they will buy after market parts for a name brand car from another company, just because said "name brand" is well know or not in china its not considered a rip off or copy.
but if you think about it, do these companies pay a licensing fee to the company ? or are they just COPYING a part and making it out of alloy or a different colour etc.
do you buy tyres made for your name brand car from that company or from another.
what about bodies ???
the list goes on, but don't knock COPIES when there is 50 other companies making after market/hop us that you will buy and use, as buying a NON FACTORY replacement part takes more money from a company than a copied car.
Here you go...
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

but its ok to buy a used hpi and buy all after market parts then say support hpi.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by xl8er View Post
but its ok to buy a used hpi and buy all after market parts then say support hpi.
Lol, some of you are just out to argue and have very low comprehension skills.

Did I support the theft of a companies design by buying used?

Did I contribute to the company that is stealing the design?

Your clone company has done what for the hobby? Made money for themselves? Have they given anything back, an event they sponsored, a new design, anything? Yet you want to support them? You are one of the many that will piss and moan about the state of the world, yet will never stand for anything except instant gratification.

Some people will take a stand for what they believe is the right thing to do, even if it means they have to sacrifice.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i find it very ironic you say "don't buy copies" but then try and defend buying after market parts by companies who don't give royalties to the origonal company.
any thing you buy that's not a original part is taking away from that company.
think about that next time you look at your car that uses non factory
motor/body/tyres/servos/bearing/radio etc and you may realise your no better than the guy who buys a clone
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 AM

i find it very ironic you say "don't buy copies" but then try and defend buying after market parts by companies who don't give royalties to the origonal company.
any thing you buy that's not a original part is taking away from that company.
think about that next time you look at your car that uses non factory
motor/body/tyres/servos/bearing/radio etc and you may realise your no better than the guy who buys a clone
Lmao, ok. Can you tell me exactly which part of improving on a design and making a counterfeit part is the difficult part to understand?

You can twist it however you want to justify the purchase of a clone, but there is a substantial difference.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lmao, ok. Can you tell me exactly which part of improving on a design and making a counterfeit part is the difficult part to understand?

You can twist it however you want to justify the purchase of a clone, but there is a substantial difference.
first of i dont have any clones.

going by your reasoning then, if i made a complete copy of a car , as long as it was a improvement over the original that would be ok
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 AM

first of i dont have any clones.

going by your reasoning then, if i made a complete copy of a car , as long as it was a improvement over the original that would be ok
How about you learn the difference between a copy/exact duplicate and an upgraded/improved design? Is the concept really that difficult for you to grasp? Here is an easy one: Look at an HPI Dirtbuster tire, then look at a Hostile MX tire. See the difference? Now look at a clone tire. See the difference?

They both fit the baja, one is a copy, one is a new design but still fits. Is that easy enough for you? Now apply that same process to the other parts.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

How about you learn the difference between a copy/exact duplicate and an upgraded/improved design? Is the concept really that difficult for you to grasp? Here is an easy one: Look at an HPI Dirtbuster tire, then look at a Hostile MX tire. See the difference? Now look at a clone tire. See the difference?

They both fit the baja, one is a copy, one is a new design but still fits. Is that easy enough for you? Now apply that same process to the other parts.
only difference i see is there is 2 tyres that are not produced by hpi and neither give money to hpi yet make money from exploiting there product.
why cant you grasp that concept its very very simple.

After market or clone = same thing
Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI vs. CLONE

i see theres a lot of back & forth about the clone stuff , tell me something then , name some of the clone brands????? , i could own 1 & not know it !!!!!!!
as im new to the rc game
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Talk about beating a dead horse ....lol ...heck hpi makes up grade parts too so does that mean they cloned thier selfs..lol and they choose not to install on the so called improved kits like a ss and now limited...Heck HPI needs a up dated design and a 4wd thats what we need to bitch about...

OH by the way they are just TOYS......lol 5th scales are way more fun so enjoy....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by shane d View Post
i see theres a lot of back & forth about the clone stuff , tell me something then , name some of the clone brands????? , i could own 1 & not know it !!!!!!!
as im new to the rc game
clone for HPI is km/rovan
MCD is fs racing /cen matrix5/carbon fighter

I know there is more .....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI vs. CLONE

well might be safe after all lol. i got GV & ACOM & i dont know why (kyosho peace of junk = gp fazer)1/10 on road
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldnt worry to much I know you guys over in the land of OZZ do not get that much support and the cost to have it shipped in sucks..
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI vs. CLONE

338lapua09 , i hear u with that & yes the post & handling sucks , i wont do the post thing any more , i just buy local only . sad really but thats how it is now

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service