HPI vs. CLONE

Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by badaml View Post
Crying? You clone owners are the only ones crying. Also, the baja is about the only rc being cloned.

Incidentally, where are you getting help from, parts from, and manuals from? Yep, HPI. So enjoy your clones, but don't try to pass it off as genuine, and don't expect HPI to help, go to your clone manufacturer and their forums for that.

If HPI makes a 4wd baja they are cloning King Motors? Lmao, that's a good one. So your assumption is that if a 4wd is developed by HPI it would be a clone as opposed to a different design? Just goes to show your understanding/comprehension of cloning/counterfeiting is not based on any facts or logic. You do realize the King Motors 4wd is a clone of another manufacturer lol, and yes, that means it is not their own design in case you needed clarification.
wrong there dude, the associated B/T4 is being copied everywhere. horizion hobby has one, electrix has one, Can't remember them all but there is at least 4different places with b/t4 copies
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Originally Posted by badaml View Post
Agreed with lots of posts above. 1/5 scale is a different realm altogether, and people are passionate about them. Nobody is bagging on anyone because you are not running an HPI, if you took it that way, I do apologize. 1/5 is expensive, and I got mine used, otherwise, I would not have one at all. I have a wife and daughter to support, and can't afford to spend or justify that kind of purchase.

There are other manufacturers of 1/5 rc's, and the new Losi will hopefully have a big impact on the market. As others have stated, it is the fact that a clone is, well, a clone. Make it different, enough so it is not an exact copy, and most will not have a problem with them.

The new MCD rc's look pretty good, and from what I hear, are doing very well on the track. Nutech is another, so is Redcat (yeah, Redcat lol. Their smaller scales were bad, but I hear the 1/5 hold up well).

Everyone wants to save money, especially today, but there is a way to do it without supporting companies that give nothing back and steal other peoples design and advertising.
Hey did you know that some parts on the baja and redcat are interchangeable? And who did KM clone there 4wd from? Who else makes a 8 shock belt drive 4wd? I'm just curious on that? I've been doing this for 18 years and i have seen it grow alot in those years. I hope everyone can grow and be mature one day and just have fun and good times no matter what the person has. I'm going to get all kinds of wonderful mature people responding to this and I don't care. I'll support and run with anyone no matter if it's a clone or not. Have a good day everyone and god bless.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowman6869 View Post
I hope everyone can grow and be mature one day and just have fun and good times no matter what the person has..

that says it all, well put!

were all here for the fun of it so lets start having some fun
Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey it never occurred to me that hpi would benefit from clones cause of parts.bravo!!! way to be diplomatic!! i have a clone and yessir hpi adds to variety!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Slowly building up my KM Baja myself. I went into the project knowing it'd be a bit of a bullfight until I got the bugs worked out, and despite that, I don't regret buying the clone. It's ultimately a /lot/ tougher then the stock HPI vehicle, with less dollar investment.

There it is as she stands.

Started life as a KM KSRC-002.
Added the BSW Rotostart, inclined Shreadstack, Hostile Nightmare MX's, Silverback beadlock rings all around, RPM Front Bumper, Killer RC Superbee Killswitch, and a DDM inline billet fuel filter. I also junked the stock Ruixing carb for a real Walbro WT-668.

Tough buggy. It's a lot of fun.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

great lookin ride neighbor,,,,,,,,,,i picked up a set of tarmacs no i can save the aggressive tires for winter,,,,,,,,,,might get the ski's that are on ebay for pennies if the wide tires can't push the snow out the way,,,,,,,,,,,i see you removed the grass catchers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails HPI vs. CLONE-small.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

hey windDrake.did you straighten out that darn 4 degree rear wheel toe-in?i just made some shims and straightened them out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still runs straight.don't see a dif,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Now I have to admit I have a clone trex 450 but I would never get a clone baja because they use lessee greed parts and they break easier and that's what 5th scales are all about to me is durability
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I bought my clone because I planned on upgrading most all the parts so I saved some coin by buying the clone. Now with what upgrades I have bought it is way more durable than an hpi baja with total costs (clone + aftermarket upgrade parts) being the same or less than a new stock hpi.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mechanike View Post
great lookin ride neighbor,,,,,,,,,,i picked up a set of tarmacs no i can save the aggressive tires for winter,,,,,,,,,,might get the ski's that are on ebay for pennies if the wide tires can't push the snow out the way,,,,,,,,,,,i see you removed the grass catchers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Originally Posted by mechanike View Post
hey windDrake.did you straighten out that darn 4 degree rear wheel toe-in?i just made some shims and straightened them out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still runs straight.don't see a dif,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks! The grass catchers didn't actually do anything useful, so off they went. I trimmed down the mounting plate/skidplate they attached to, to take the mounting lobes off as well. I hated those things.

I noticed the 4-Degree toe, yeah. Haven't bothered with it yet, as it's making the Hostiles hook up nicely in grass. At some point I'll fix it, but it's not high on my priority list yet.

I just put on a Zenoah coil thinking I had a blown CY coil (nope, ignition wire), and an outerwears Crank cover, which was actually long overdue. No more grass in my freakin' flywheel!

Sadly yesterday I snapped the servo saver link between the steering buckles and the actual bellcrank arm, it's the part that pivots on the saver itself. Junk plastic couldn't handle a rollover. I've got the aluminum Darksoul one coming from DDM. It seems like nobody in Lake or Cook county carry a good stock of Baja parts. Just weird odds-and-ends.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

yeah winddrake looks like you got most straightened out.don't care for the side body parts either,,,,got your same tarmacs lsvtieg(they naturally look bald)but where i got mine they accidently sent me different fronts that have a mean tread pattern that i like.thinking of getting the rear slicks.the seller says they are thick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

A patent is only good for 7 years, after that anyone can make their own version. Just look at dirt bikes, motorcycles, computers, cars,etc. They all pretty much look the same, they have copied from each other.
BTW HPI's are made in China so they don't cost $4,000 if they were made in the U.S.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 329 (100%+)

I have a HPI 5SC anybody using the Itegy 2 speed? How is the performance and durability?