R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Oval, Larger Scales and More (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more-5/)
-   -   HPI vs. CLONE (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/537789-hpi-vs-clone.html)

92 vert 10-03-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 9735945)
yah, that would suck, i like the KM 5t, but would never try to sell it as a HPI. i guess all that matters is......I like my clone:D

see my post above about motors..

Sounds good...hope your KM fares better than my clone did.....

sperera 10-03-2011 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=92 vert;9735935]

Originally Posted by sperera (Post 9731887)
no HPI is using a cloned engine. HPI never themselves cloned a motor.

HPI are using a CY engine (but call it a fulie). CY cloned the zenoah engine. So in my opinion not MUCH better than some of the clone companies.

Also I cant verify this but ive been told King Motor first came up with the plan for the 5b but didnt have the finds to put into production. So HPI bought the plans and produced it themself.

Again dont know if this is true, just what ive been told.....[/QUOTE/]

http://www.emjayltd.com/importexport...ang-vs-zenoah/

Have a look at the company that wrote that article and where its posted, a distributor for CY engine! Biased much?

Ask any real large scaler about CY vs Zen and every one of them will tell you Zen is the real deal and the CY has ALWAYS been a clone of Zen.

Not 12 months ago CY had a recall on faulty cylinder coatings, I was one of those people affected, the plating started dropping off after 3 tanks! I wont be trying a CY again anytime soon. And there's not much price difference between the two now anyway.

Anyone reading that article do your research, get owner opinions. That article is so biased its not even funny, but expect no less from a company where cy is their bread and butter.....

inferno13 10-03-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 92 vert (Post 9736011)
see my post above about motors..

Sounds good...hope your KM fares better than my clone did.....

it rips thats forsure! no problems so far, did you see that small vid i posted a couple weeks ago?

92 vert 10-03-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 9736103)
it rips thats forsure! no problems so far, did you see that small vid i posted a couple weeks ago?

yep...it moves..:):)

inferno13 10-03-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 92 vert (Post 9736111)
yep...it moves..:):)

that was the last time it was out, has been raining here almost every day! snow not far away:cry:

92 vert 10-03-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 9736121)
that was the last time it was out, has been raining here almost every day! snow not far away:cry:

I think I am going to stud my Hostiles and do some ice racing this winter.

As for the engine..I agree a 4 bolt Zenoah is better but I have had good luck with my 2 bolt CY..

At Power Jam last summer I heard someone talking how the same man designed the Zenoah and the left to start CY....
Anyone know anything about this??

inferno13 10-03-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 92 vert (Post 9736147)
I think I am going to stud my Hostiles and do some ice racing this winter.

As for the engine..I agree a 4 bolt Zenoah is better but I have had good luck with my 2 bolt CY..

At Power Jam last summer I heard someone talking how the same man designed the Zenoah and the left to start CY....
Anyone know anything about this??

i dont know anything about these, all i know is it is a 30.5cc motor, thats what it says on top of head...LOL

sperera 10-03-2011 06:42 PM

i know shortly after the cy coating incident cy addressed the problem promptly and have not heard of it happening since, so I dare say their product is better than it used to be.

on the side of the cylinder just below the cooling fins there will be a stamp to tell you what the motor is.

if its a 30.5 it means its running a stuffer crank. had one of these in a FG monster truck, loved the torque of it :D

Phazewun 10-03-2011 06:54 PM

im glad i saw this thread

There is alot of back and forth about the clones but as someone who has basically reviewed everything there is to review im stuck..

money is not the problem here so i dont want anyone to start with that my problem is spending the 1500.00 for a pair of nikes when i can get some brooks for half the price ?

im looking for a truck to take out with the kids to the desert have some fun, not going to club race or anything just going have some fun with it many people all are saying different stuff about each truck..

Is it worth it to just buy the HPI 5t used for 700-800 ? or is it better to buy a brand new rovan or king motor truck...

im so lost to what to do again its not about the money but i dont want want to over spend just for the name... been there done that

i think im leaning toward the king motor t1000 but who knows my mind changes everyday after i see another post.

HELP !!!

inferno13 10-03-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sperera (Post 9736433)
i know shortly after the cy coating incident cy addressed the problem promptly and have not heard of it happening since, so I dare say their product is better than it used to be.

on the side of the cylinder just below the cooling fins there will be a stamp to tell you what the motor is.

if its a 30.5 it means its running a stuffer crank. had one of these in a FG monster truck, loved the torque of it :D

i just went and looked, it says Fuelie

inferno13 10-03-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phazewun (Post 9736492)
im glad i saw this thread

There is alot of back and forth about the clones but as someone who has basically reviewed everything there is to review im stuck..

money is not the problem here so i dont want anyone to start with that my problem is spending the 1500.00 for a pair of nikes when i can get some brooks for half the price ?

im looking for a truck to take out with the kids to the desert have some fun, not going to club race or anything just going have some fun with it many people all are saying different stuff about each truck..

Is it worth it to just buy the HPI 5t used for 700-800 ? or is it better to buy a brand new rovan or king motor truck...

im so lost to what to do again its not about the money but i dont want want to over spend just for the name... been there done that

i think im leaning toward the king motor t1000 but who knows my mind changes everyday after i see another post.

HELP !!!

i have the KM T1000 and like it! have not had any problems at all and has a bigger engine than the 26cc the hpi comes with.

sperera 10-03-2011 08:40 PM

this is where a bit of foward planning will come in handy, allot of clubs and tracks dont allow clones (yes i know sounds very unfair) so if you think this is something you might want to race (even a slight maybe) i would go genuine HPI (or now even Losi).

ive been into largescale rc for 2 years, owned a HPI Baja 5bSS (for a week, didnt like it so it went) and a number of FG's so trust me when I say regardless of which they are both going to need upgrades to be reliable if you bash even half hard.

if budget isnt an issue you might as well go genuine, that way if you want to join a club you will have no restrictions. At the end of the day however whats the point of buying the model @ $1500+ and spending on upgrades when you can spend half that and buy the upgrades your most likley going to end up buying anyway?

Phazewun 10-03-2011 08:55 PM

have to much money in onroad to stop doing that =)

inferno13 10-03-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by sperera (Post 9736980)
this is where a bit of foward planning will come in handy, allot of clubs and tracks dont allow clones (yes i know sounds very unfair) so if you think this is something you might want to race (even a slight maybe) i would go genuine HPI (or now even Losi).

ive been into largescale rc for 2 years, owned a HPI Baja 5bSS (for a week, didnt like it so it went) and a number of FG's so trust me when I say regardless of which they are both going to need upgrades to be reliable if you bash even half hard.

if budget isnt an issue you might as well go genuine, that way if you want to join a club you will have no restrictions. At the end of the day however whats the point of buying the model @ $1500+ and spending on upgrades when you can spend half that and buy the upgrades your most likley going to end up buying anyway?

there is actually local tracks that dont let you run clones? i can see if it is hpi sponcered event but if its not they are only hurting themselfs, loosing money, loosing the oppartunity to meet new people (freinds).

sperera 10-03-2011 09:37 PM

i know the one of the major clubs, who races sanctioned events and state titles do not allow clones on their track or to race.

Myself and a group of friends are in the process of acquiring land here in Victoria (state in Australia) and building Victoria's first large scale track capable of holding sanctioned races, we WILL not take the above approach and invite all large scales, regardless of make or model to join, race and most importantly have fun. We are an incorporated and registered club, called VOLS (Victorian Offroad Large Scale).

I dont know if its different in the states but I wouldnt be surprised if a large number of clubs in the states ban clones from their tracks and clubs.