Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
what do you guys know about running high octane fuel?? >

what do you guys know about running high octane fuel??

what do you guys know about running high octane fuel??

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default what do you guys know about running high octane fuel??

like 100 octane on a 30cc engine will it give me more power?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not alone. To benefit from the higher octane rating the engine got to be highly tuned and the compression need to be raised and maybe you have to use adjustable timing. With that said, i am not a motor guru, i just write what i have read from other discussions about this topic.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It will give you a little more power,not a lot
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Well for me, I don't race in an organized level with money to be won in the end. So I don't consider running these expensive race fuels. I would however experiment with some old VP race fuel if I had an extra gallon or so. For now, I never took the time to try it.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIZCO-RC
High octane gas will actually reduce the power. The lowest octane gas you can run that doesn't pre-detonate will yield the most power. To need high octane gas you must have a high enough compression to cause normal gas to pre-detonate. Octane in itself doesn't increase power, only changes the requirements for that fuel to burn completely.

Some fuels, like quite a few of the VP lineup are oxygenated fuels, which is a whole different discussion. Many of which will yield good gains, and there's generally good information on the website about what their fuels were designed for and the engine parameters needed.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

top response ridley.

unless the motor is built and tuned to run on high octane there will be no benifits, only drawbacks such as higher running temps etc.

these motors are desinged to be run on regular, with compression ratio's to match.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My experience may be a little different than most of you, but it should be relevant nonetheless. I dont have a large scale RC, but I used to own a mostly stock Martin Monster 23cc scooter and I have run high octane fuel in it with amazing results. Results based on a cheap Bushnell radar gun, tuning the mixture on the fly for each run, with several passes for a fair average.

Pump 87 octane+Tech 2000 2-cycle oil+Me= 23mph top speed
VP 118 octane+Royal Purple 2-cycle oil+Me= 27mph top speed

Out of all passes the smallest difference was 3mph, average of 4mph difference from several passes. This might not seem like much, but dont forget it was carrying me, at 190lbs. I imagine in a RC, this could translate into much larger gains. As a certified auto tech, I have always understood the same theory that Ridley has posted above. But experience tells me the engine manufacturer may not always have it right, and it might be worth a shot. I have seen some full size cars experience large gains in fuel efficiency and power from higher octane fuel when the manufacturer recommended 87. Yet other cars have shown zero benefit from the same treatment. As I said, not necessarily a direct comparison here, but it should be relevant to the discussion.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow that is interesting! big jump in mph but also big jump in octane, down here regular is 91RON and the the high po pump stuff is 98RON so not that big a difference./
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sperera
wow that is interesting! big jump in mph but also big jump in octane, down here regular is 91RON and the the high po pump stuff is 98RON so not that big a difference./
So would it be better to run Australian 91 octane on stock motors?
E.g. G290?

I've always ran the BP ultimate 98 as I thought it would be better for the motor in the long run. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BIZCO-RC
I race 1/4 Scale cars with a RC230 engine, at QSAC races we run VP C-16 fuel with Ansiol Saber mixed at 2OZ per Gal of fuel.
Our cars never have any problems with vapor lock or fouling the plug.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
My experience may be a little different than most of you, but it should be relevant nonetheless. I dont have a large scale RC, but I used to own a mostly stock Martin Monster 23cc scooter and I have run high octane fuel in it with amazing results. Results based on a cheap Bushnell radar gun, tuning the mixture on the fly for each run, with several passes for a fair average.

Out of all passes the smallest difference was 3mph, average of 4mph difference from several passes. This might not seem like much, but dont forget it was carrying me, at 190lbs. I imagine in a RC, this could translate into much larger gains. As a certified auto tech, I have always understood the same theory that Ridley has posted above. But experience tells me the engine manufacturer may not always have it right, and it might be worth a shot. I have seen some full size cars experience large gains in fuel efficiency and power from higher octane fuel when the manufacturer recommended 87. Yet other cars have shown zero benefit from the same treatment. As I said, not necessarily a direct comparison here, but it should be relevant to the discussion.
VP 118 octane is an oxygenated fuel, hence the big difference. Plus, Royal Purple is a much better oil, which will also yield gains. There's some really good 2 stroke oils that are good down to 100:1. Going from say 32:1 to 100:1 on your mix will create real nice gains.....prolly get that scooter up to 30

Oh, and not to mention pump gas is all 10% ethanol now, which makes it have less energy per volume, and generally run poorly in 2 strokes. Most race gas is pure gasoline, so that gives a modest gain right off the top.

For the little amount of fuel that one goes through in rc cars, you might as well bite the bullet and buy a 50$ 5 gallon can of good VP fuel. If nothing else, it smells SOOO good
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
High octane gas will actually reduce the power. The lowest octane gas you can run that doesn't pre-detonate will yield the most power. To need high octane gas you must have a high enough compression to cause normal gas to pre-detonate. Octane in itself doesn't increase power, only changes the requirements for that fuel to burn completely.

Some fuels, like quite a few of the VP lineup are oxygenated fuels, which is a whole different discussion. Many of which will yield good gains, and there's generally good information on the website about what their fuels were designed for and the engine parameters needed.
THIS... ^^^^

However I run Sunoco... Just cause it smells good. LOL
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Questions??

Originally Posted by burnineyes

Has anyone tried this 2-Cycle Oil, and if so, what do you think about it? This is the only oil that my local auto store always has available for $5.99 32oz.

Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle High Temp Racing Oil
This product is a "low smoke" two-cycle oil formulated from a special blend of mineral oil, polybutene and a low ash additive system. Lucas 2-Cycle Racing Oil is specially designed to prevent carbon deposits to the piston rings, skirt, crown and under crown areas and prevent exhaust port blocking. It is prediluted with a special solvent to facilitate mixing with gasolines at all temperatures.

Lucas 2-Cycle Racing Oil is recommended for all air and liquid cooled two-stroke engines and lower specific output air-cooled engines functioning under all operating conditions. Meets the requirement for "low smoke" oils often referred to as "smokeless" oils. Designed primarily for use with oil injection systems where no fuel/oil premixing is required. However, it is also acceptable for use in premixes of gasoline and oil up to 50:1.

Key Benefits
.Prevents carbon deposits
.Mixes well with gasolines at all temperatures
.Meets requirements for "low smoke" oils
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Lucas makes a good product . I was going to try some but I am having a hard time trying something new. I run Redline Racing 2 stroke in every 2 stroke I own and have for years.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Oops. Wrong thread.. Nevermind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.