Wiki Posts
Search

Redcat 5th scale buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Redcat 5th scale buggy

Anyone have any experience with the Redcat Rampage XB 5th scale 4wd buggy? I was at motorama today and The Hidden Hanger had one on display for sale. I was looking it over and it seemed well built and was very tempted to buy it. But at around $550 its just not something I was willing to take a chance on without getting some opinions. I currently have a HPI Baja 5b SS, and while I would never get rid of it, I wouldn't mind getting a 4wd 5th scale to go along side it.

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...Rampage-XB-Gas
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

redcat is def worth the money they charge for them. they are good but have their week links. i have a dunerunner and love it!. couple problems with dog bones and stuff that wears out too fast but red cat has good cust service.

the 4 wheel drive is really cool:-)
the stock engine is slow unless you add a 8000 clutch spring and a jet pro pipe.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

RedCats arent too bad really. at first when they hit the market, they were kinda cheezy, but they have come quite a ways in 3 yrs now.

try the forum here.
www.redcatrampageforum.com

plenty of RedCat owners and new ones joining all the time.

These guys here will have the best redcat 1/5 info for you.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Wanted a 4x4 5th scale so I picked up a Rampage V2. Awaiting shipment.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Redcats are not well built at all. 1/5th scale is very popular in my area(New Era models specializes in 1/5th scale and will NOT recommend them or stock their products, even to the point of sacrificing a sale)and the few people who have those products have had nothing but problems with them. Honestly, better off saving up your money for something built by HPI or Nutech even. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Didn't New Era Models stop selling large scales about 10 years ago? As for the redcat, it is a budget large scale. They have been much better over the last few years and are coming out with new items rather than cloning most of the other models.

Their XT were just released and are pretty good. I have the XB-E which is brushless. I like it and have driven almost every large scale out there. They do need some tweaking but so does every large scale out of the box. when the hpi baja 5b first came out, I was blowing out shock shafts left and right but they did eventually fix it. Redcat will do the same. For $650 the xb-e is a good deal. Considering the castle conversion kit alone for the 5b is $500 and you still need the baja.

For the money and making a few tweaks, redcat is a pretty good deal.