Wiki Posts
Search

hpi or king motors????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default hpi or king motors????

guys im looking to buy a 5t. as we all no the hpi 5t is king. but does any body own a king motors 5t that could shed some light on this??? for 700 vr 1250 ? and are the parts really interchangable from the hpi to the king motors??? and what motor is really in it... seems alot of people just like to here them selfs talk so please just reply from experience of the two... thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is really very sensitive question. also lots of hpi supporter here.
i am not standing on any side. i haven't seem a HPI baja before. anyway i very happy with my KM baja. still haven't break a part every part on it work perfectly. the thing i only change is the clutch shoe set .
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

yea i have been reading some very good stuff about them.... so do all the parts like arms,bulkheads ect fit the km??
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

king motor baja owner here, no complaints other than the sucky radio it came with, and shocks needed some fiddling. I've had it for close to 2 yrs. Replaced a clutch, primer bulb, been through a couple sets of tires, a throttle servo (got pretty wet) and a front a-arm (son hit the mailbox post with it). Besides oil and gas that is the only money I have HAD to spend on it. I have bought a few hop-ups and doo-dads, but has well exceeded my expectations. Everything I have replaced has been with hpi, or aftermarket parts. My .02
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I've had both, the HPI is definately better built, the King Motor 5T Shell is VERY brittle, mine shattered around the rear body posts first bash. Also the clone Carby and Clutch are pretty much rubbish. If it's your first 5th scale and funds are tight or you're not sure if you'll stick with it, get a clone, then when you want to get more serious buy the HPI, and use the clone as an emergency parts supply.

But yeah a lot of people are very set in their HPI vs non HPI thing. Way too much bitching over a toy car IMO.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

well i can get a t1000 shipped to my door for 800 or a 5t hpi for 1200... so far i have herd that the t1000 is a great truck and has more power and also a 2 speed... to save 400 i mite just go with the t1000
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i do agree with nexxus and junkman12.

anyway it really worth for the money. if you worries about the quality just change the Carby to walbro and it cheap to. and you are free from trouble . lucky i get my baja from LHS that already come with walbro .

anyway it worth for the money. and the Carby and the clutch are cheap so don't worry.

i believe now all the KM motors baja come with better remote control than previous. anyway that doesn't matter i do believe if you get the hpi you also will change all the electronic part with your favorite radios and servo IMO
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's a little review of the Rovan:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

yea i found that before on the net... the rovan sucks i herd lol .. but the king motor seems to be a good deal. i think its vr2 with the two speed .. king motor in N.Y has em his name is dave
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

HPI will be better quality, period. The Chinese clones used to be half the price and it might have been worth it to go cheap before. But now the prices are so close on eBay that I can't see why you wouldn't buy a genuine HPI.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

well 800 shipped to me VR 1200 pluss shipping not to close if you ask me
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

im a Big proponant of buying the HPI version.

when you buy the Cloned version (not a similar vehicle, not alot like a baja, but a clone, or nearly an exact copy) you are promoting and supporting open theft of intellectual properties.

remember, China, does not have to play fairly. and they dont. you may be saving some cash, but buy purchasing these Clone bajas, you are further saying, hey i dont care about my country, my family, or my or my neighbors job, i just care about saveing some money.

and if that is your bottom line (saving money) then go ahead, but when China is your government, dont expect myself to fight the war with them for YOUR freedoms as well as mine.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmahh

when you buy the Cloned version (not a similar vehicle, not alot like a baja, but a clone, or nearly an exact copy) you are promoting and supporting open theft of intellectual properties.

remember, China, does not have to play fairly. and they dont. you may be saving some cash, but buy purchasing these Clone bajas, you are further saying, hey i dont care about my country, my family, or my or my neighbors job, i just care about saveing some money.

and if that is your bottom line (saving money) then go ahead, but when China is your government, dont expect myself to fight the war with them for YOUR freedoms as well as mine.
WOW not the input i was looking for.. please its only a toy
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Sorry to tell you, but you aren't always going to get the input you are looking for, cloning/bootlegging is a very heated issue.

Last edited by simplechamp; 01-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahh

very well said, some people JUST dont get it..

Originally Posted by jd267
WOW not the input i was looking for.. please its only a toy
You're one of those people, who clearly, DONT get it!

Originally Posted by simplechamp
So it's OK for them to bootleg the design, stealing away sales from HPI since it's "just a toy"?

That's a BS excuse. Cloning is cloning, any product, doesn't matter. They aren't licensing it and paying HPI for the design, they are stealing. You obviously have your mind made up that it's OK to buy these, so no one is going to change your mind. Typical thinking, I want it, I want it now, I want it cheap, I don't care if it's the right thing to do or not.
again, very well said.

I will support HPI, and any other well known companys as long as i am in this hobby, PERIOD, as these companys support ME as a hobbyist..all of these clone companys only do this crap because they know some fool will buy their cheap knockoff, and they do it solely to make a buck, and thats the bottom line.

Whats so classic is when one of these people buy a clone rig, and then bitch and complain when it ends up being a complete POS.and then somehow, its the CARS fault, or the HOBBYS fault...i see it ALL the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.