Wiki Posts
Search

Sirio S27DO-US 7 Port Competition .27 Dirt Oval Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Sirio S27DO-US 7 Port Competition .27 Dirt Oval Engine

Just curious if anyone has any experience with one of these engines? Power, best pipe/glowplug, run-time, durability, etc....
Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Great Engine!

Originally Posted by mechanic77
Just curious if anyone has any experience with one of these engines? Power, best pipe/glowplug, run-time, durability, etc....
Hello,

I have two of the Sirio .27DO engines and they have great power, I only have about 2 gallons on one and just finish breaking in the other. I have found that that the 97T or a P3 work really well depending on how hot of plug I want to run. The engine has the TQ to pull a big gear if you like, but it will rev very well also, almost like a .21.

I have found the following pipes to work really well based on the situation:

1. If I want to pull a big gear I like the Sirio 2013 Pipe
2. If I want to let it rev up and spin a smaller gear the Sirio 2056 has been working really well or a good old 086.

With the 7.5 mm restrictor I have been getting really good run time for dirt oval so I have bumped up to an 8.5 mm for a little more power!

When you break these engines in I know everyone is on a heat-cycle kick these days, but I have had better luck taking a little more time with the Sirio Engines, I like to still idle them about 5-10 tanks ( I break mine in completely on a break in stand!) not to rich with the fuel you are going to race with. This will make sure to lubricate the conrod bushing and other components very well.

Because the Sirio engines use a fairly thin wall sleeve design it is better to do this slower break-in first and then start to lean it out a bit and after about 8-12 tanks then start getting some heat into it to temper/harden the sleeve. Get about 4-6 heat cycles on it and then tune to only about 80 -80% power until you have about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of fuel through it. It takes about 1 gallon of fuel for these engines to fully come on and provide maximum performance, However I was able to pull out an A-Main win the last 2 times racing with this engine and I had tons of HP.

On a final note it does seem like these engines like to run between 230 - 240 degrees which is a bit hotter than typical Sirio engines.

I hope this information helps!

Good Luck Racing and let me know if you need ANY help with the engine!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input, any idea if the MSR1005 would work well on it? As far as break in goes, I would probably just send it to Neal at Clockwork Racing Engines for him to hand fit the piston and sleeve to minimize wear and tear during break in. I just recently bought an Ofna JL that he modded for me and it runs awesome, but I'm always looking for something even better (might be hard to find). I might just have to give one of these Sirios a try.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mechanic77
Thanks for the input, any idea if the MSR1005 would work well on it? As far as break in goes, I would probably just send it to Neal at Clockwork Racing Engines for him to hand fit the piston and sleeve to minimize wear and tear during break in. I just recently bought an Ofna JL that he modded for me and it runs awesome, but I'm always looking for something even better (might be hard to find). I might just have to give one of these Sirios a try.
I just ran at Big Bills last night getting some track time in before their big money race and I have to say that the Sirio engine was on fire. I had tons of HP and was able to pull any of the cars down the straight. I was able to TQ and then I was leading the first 90 seconds of the race, then got passed as my car was dropping off due to the rear end was binding up and then let go....

Either way the engine really is coming alive now that I am getting past the 1.5 gallon mark and I am very pleased with it. I have a modded version that I am breaking in for next weekend and I am really excited to see the performance of that motor. You cannot beat this motor for the money!

Good Luck!!!

Alan
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Any idea on a pipe that will work good other than the Sirio pipes? I've got quite a few pipes, just no Sirio pipes and I hate to buy a $100 pipe for a $175engine. Just for reference, these are the pipes I do have:

JP1,2,3
Dynamite 007,053,086
MSR1005
Hyper 8 kit pipe (2049 I believe)
Hyper 9 kit pipe (looks an awful lot like a JP6)
Picco 2046
Ofna 807

Thanks, Andy
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Try a JP-4. I know it is not on your list of pipes but I run a JP-4 on practically every motor that I have.