Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J-milz
I wanted to get into the 1/8 GT thing, so I decided to convert my old Losi 8ight E into an onroad monster. -I added 90 wht shock oil all around -purchased the L8 towers, body mount, front bumper, and lower springs. -put in a monster 2450kv combo -front losi 8ight shocks all around The problem im having is, the suspension is still too cushy like an off roader. WTF? Has anyone converted their's? Tips? What can I do to stiffen things up a bit to carve corners better? Suggestions?
Get the Losi L8 springs, they're much firmer. You can also go to RC4Less.com, they have their own springs for Losi L8 with even higher spring rates
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Get the Losi L8 springs, they're much firmer. You can also go to RC4Less.com, they have their own springs for Losi L8 with even higher spring rates
Good info, wasn't sure if the L8ight had stiffer springs. Losi shocks are some of the nicest out there.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by superspeed
Maybe this question has been asked and answered before, has Kyosho released a brushless version of Inferno GT2 (1/8 touring cars) series?
Kyosho hasn't released any new versions to the Inferno GT in any shape and form! To do a BL, you need to buy the conversion kit, or buy the VE and convert it to a GT.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
Good info, wasn't sure if the L8ight had stiffer springs. Losi shocks are some of the nicest out there.
I use them on my TRF801 conversion.. The shocks are a wide bore like the Losi.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

I use them on my TRF801 conversion.. The shocks are a wide bore like the Losi.
Yeah, 16MM. The Kyosho Big Bores are 16MM also. I may do some experimenting with Kyosho Big Bores and the springs you listed. Kyosho big bores are ultra smooth!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

They're too big in diameter for the Kyosho. The Losi and Tamiya are around 18 /19.

When I converted the Tamiya I thought I could use the igt springs (black and silver) when kit arrived, found out they're too small.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jspeed
20 minutes?

Seems long.
I am still in training mode, so I guess I am not driving hard enough.

What C rating?
Just 35C... cheap batts for now.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Exp compound?
Yes, it's EXP compound, which is sweep's best rubber compound.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by whipnet
I am still in training mode, so I guess I am not driving hard enough.

Just 35C... cheap batts for now.
Sounds about right with your KV motor, not driving hard, and that C rating.

With my 10000mah 20C driving balls to the wall on a short track I get about 30-35 minutes with a 1900KV

I guess in terms of Nitro, the KV is the engine size, Mah is the size of the tank, and C rating is the venturi you are using in the carb
Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess in terms of Nitro, the KV is the engine size, Mah is the size of the tank, and C rating is the venturi you are using in the carb
I think you're right on the money!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Thats cool, but what kind of run times are GT Electrics getting on average?

Not just with big buck batteries, but on average with 4S or (2) 2S packs?

Chime in fellas, need to know.

Thanks.
I really hate to muddy the waters on this kinda question, but unfortunately I don't think there's really a "direct" answer that covers the "average". For example, on my IGT2 with a CC/Neu 1518 1800kv and 23/44T gearing with center diff, I get 8-9 min of hard running at the track on 4S 3700mah packs (but some times I do hit the LV in the 8-9 min range). I did however just pick up some 6S 3300mah TP 30C packs that I'm looking for a balls-to-the-wall 5-5:30 withOUT hitting the LV. On 6S, the gearing is actually TOO fast down the straight, but I elected to alter my TC for up to ~ 80% throttle (except for the last 5% of the high throttle which'll kinda serve as a turbo boost during the last straight) so that I never overpower the wheels
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Missle
I really hate to muddy the waters on this kinda question, but unfortunately I don't think there's really a "direct" answer that covers the "average". For example, on my IGT2 with a CC/Neu 1518 1800kv and 23/44T gearing with center diff, I get 8-9 min of hard running at the track on 4S 3700mah packs (but some times I do hit the LV in the 8-9 min range). I did however just pick up some 6S 3300mah TP 30C packs that I'm looking for a balls-to-the-wall 5-5:30 withOUT hitting the LV. On 6S, the gearing is actually TOO fast down the straight, but I elected to alter my TC for up to ~ 80% throttle (except for the last 5% of the high throttle which'll kinda serve as a turbo boost during the last straight) so that I never overpower the wheels
Cool, thanks for the insight on the GTE's track run time.
You must be running at Joyce park, yes?

To me it seems that in full race mode GT Electrics are really good on big track run time of about 6 to 8 minutes; is that a fair assessment on 4S average type batteries?

The main lengths shouldn't force racers to spend a ton of cash on big buck batteries or my guess it would limit racer attendance. A (3) A main format would offer racers a lot of fun track time and not break anyone's bank to be competitive.

Any of you GT Electric track racers that want to chime in, please feel free to do so. We're trying to nail down everything for you guys that want to run with us at the Biggest GT Only race in North America for 2011.

Thanks for your help!

See ya at the races!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Yep, I'm at Joyce Park. I really hope they start think about resurfacing the track soon but I think it's gonna take more local interest. Unfortunately I was one of the only GTe's last year to run with the nitro guys, but I'm hoping that changes this year.
As for the 4S, I'd agree your time assessment is about correct for a 4-5k mah pack size, but again I must stress that you can almost set it for anything. The only limit is the amount of packs you can stuff in one of these GT's of which I'd bet you could properly gear a really fast car with a big enough pack set that would yeild run times up to an hour.
Also, you seem to be only interested in 4S size packs? I hope not cause I'm one of those old style electric flyers (heli and planes for last 6 years), and I've learned the hard way that more volts is so much kinder on the electronics. That's just my lil opinion though.
Where are you planning these races? I'm assuming cali, texas or florida but I'd sure love to see something in the Ohio valley
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Do you guys who run those Losi L8ight springs find them to be firm enough? I was looking at the rates and they were like 5-8 lb/in which seems very low to me. I have to qualify that by saying this is not from personal experience, I haven't run my GT yet, but from everything I've read that seems very soft. Right now the springs on my car are approx. 25-30 lb/in and even they seem a bit soft.

I really wish the Ofna GTP/DM-1 and Kyosho IGT springs were rated in lb/in so I could better compare them to other springs. It is easy to calculate spring rate in lb/in if I had a few measurements of the spring, if there are any others interested in finding out.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp
I really wish the Ofna GTP/DM-1 and Kyosho IGT springs were rated in lb/in so I could better compare them to other springs. It is easy to calculate spring rate in lb/in if I had a few measurements of the spring, if there are any others interested in finding out.
I would definitely like to see the springs rated in lbs, unloaded length also if possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.