Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by danketchpel
I think those rim stickers are a great idea. I also HATE the look of dished rims. At least the Sweeps are available with a nice looking spoked rim.
That's what drew me to the Sweeps treaded tires. I like them but I've read on here that the PMTs are much better in regards to performance. I may have to try out a set and see the comparison but you are right, the PMTs are mounted on some really ugly rims. Think I find the link you guys posted and place an order for Corona.

Last edited by FangsCPO; 11-09-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
We can add another GT8 racer to the mix. Tony Phalen will be joining us in Corona. Woohoo!!!!

Looks like the battle for 2nd and below is gonna be crazy! hahahahahah
Dang, with Team Nitronic in full force, along with Tony, Charlie, and all the others jumping in, Team Ofna's gonna get a SERIOUS run for their money.

This class is heating up big time, now let's work on keeping the momentum going so it doesn't fade out.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That is a great idea I wonder who thought of it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Nice photo Jerry!!!
Thanks Steve! Frank H took that shot. He's one of the best rc photographer i've seen! He even took this shot!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Tested the Sweep 45 Slicks.

Track:Surf City Raceway
Dimensions:170'x70'
Surface:Med-High Bite prepped and treated Asphalt
Track Temp:85*F
Car:Ofna Ultra GTP2E
Motor: Speedpassion Cirtix Slotless 2200KV
Esc: Speedpassion Silver Arrow 2
---------------------------------------------
Test 1
I take the car out for its first run. The month before i tried the Sweep 50's and had a lot of steering, too much but this also was with no center Diff. No center diff for a shaft driven car means if traction is anywhere lower than super high bite, you will get major oversteer on power. Fearing this would happen again, i change my set up for understeer on top of having my center diff installed. The first couple of minutes i was LOVING it. Car cornered instantly and responded to every input. It looked like i was in teh right direction. The later part of the race was different. I was not sure if it was the tires overheating, but i started to get a BIG PUSH off power. ALmost like the tired were rubbing on the front fenders in turns. It slowed my car down about a second each lap. My Looseness was DEFINITELY gone. At least teh car was DRIVABLE!!!

Test 2
So i take the car out again with a few changes. I raised the front ride height by 2 mm so my off power weight transfer would put more pressure on the front tires, assuming my tires weren't getting enough pressure off power and they were not overheating. Same thing happened. After 2 minutes, the understeer offpower came back.

Test 3
I didn't get to run my mains cuz i had to announce, but i did install the swaybars back in. It made a big difference. It did hold the steering in longer. I guess taking away some of the body roll did the track. One thing is for sure, the Sweep tires definitely held their own. I had Steve from SNR try the set and he too found that there was a slight understeer issue with them.

Final Thoughts
With the information given, it is evident that with a few more set up changes, we can get these tires SUPER DIALED. For Hobbytown Corona, I will run the 50's in the Rear and 45's up front to get the car to rotate better. I will probably also need more FINETUNING so i will probbaly order some SNR shock towers so i can lay the rear shocks more as well. All in ALL, Sweep makes an awesome GT8 Tire and you should see more of them at the track in the near future.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC Passion
Thanks Steve! Frank H took that shot. He's one of the best rc photographer i've seen! He even took this shot!

Now that's a great picture!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Couldn't make it last weekend guys. My body and tires didn't get here in time. I think I have everything I need for Corona; looking forward to it. Do these PMT's actually work? they are hard as hell
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Tested the Sweep 45 Slicks.

Track:Surf City Raceway
Dimensions:170'x70'
Surface:Med-High Bite prepped and treated Asphalt
Track Temp:85*F
Car:Ofna Ultra GTP2E
Motor: Speedpassion Cirtix Slotless 2200KV
Esc: Speedpassion Silver Arrow 2
---------------------------------------------
Test 1
I take the car out for its first run. The month before i tried the Sweep 50's and had a lot of steering, too much but this also was with no center Diff. No center diff for a shaft driven car means if traction is anywhere lower than super high bite, you will get major oversteer on power. Fearing this would happen again, i change my set up for understeer on top of having my center diff installed. The first couple of minutes i was LOVING it. Car cornered instantly and responded to every input. It looked like i was in teh right direction. The later part of the race was different. I was not sure if it was the tires overheating, but i started to get a BIG PUSH off power. ALmost like the tired were rubbing on the front fenders in turns. It slowed my car down about a second each lap. My Looseness was DEFINITELY gone. At least teh car was DRIVABLE!!!

Test 2
So i take the car out again with a few changes. I raised the front ride height by 2 mm so my off power weight transfer would put more pressure on the front tires, assuming my tires weren't getting enough pressure off power and they were not overheating. Same thing happened. After 2 minutes, the understeer offpower came back.

Test 3
I didn't get to run my mains cuz i had to announce, but i did install the swaybars back in. It made a big difference. It did hold the steering in longer. I guess taking away some of the body roll did the track. One thing is for sure, the Sweep tires definitely held their own. I had Steve from SNR try the set and he too found that there was a slight understeer issue with them.

Final Thoughts
With the information given, it is evident that with a few more set up changes, we can get these tires SUPER DIALED. For Hobbytown Corona, I will run the 50's in the Rear and 45's up front to get the car to rotate better. I will probably also need more FINETUNING so i will probbaly order some SNR shock towers so i can lay the rear shocks more as well. All in ALL, Sweep makes an awesome GT8 Tire and you should see more of them at the track in the near future.
Charlie, were you testing the EXP's or regular Slicks? With my setup I am running treaded EXP 45's and love them, but have yet to try them against more than 3 cars on the track, and I have not tried the PMT tires yet. Trying to decide if I should continue trying the Sweeps or switch to the PMT's.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stipres
Couldn't make it last weekend guys. My body and tires didn't get here in time. I think I have everything I need for Corona; looking forward to it. Do these PMT's actually work? they are hard as hell
They work good around here you just need to put some heat in them, when they get into the track you'll here them screech.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snrscion
If I had the money I would definitely go, that looks awesome.
Flights from LA to Mexico City aren't too much, hotel is $95 a night tax included, food is pretty inexpensive and the track..... well lets just say, they don't get much better.

You guys should represent, we're talking "Big Boy" racing and a whole lot of it.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danketchpel
Are they racing any electric powered cars down there in Mexico or still all Nitro?

That track is simply world class awesome!!! We need something like that here in SoCal for sure. I still can't understand with so many RC companies located here we still don't have a world class on-road track.
Dan,

We invited GT Electric cars at our USGT Nats event in Chicago, but not one racer registered. If there's a group of a few Electric guys that want to run with us I will open the class for you.

I don't own an electric GT yet, but I believe in the class very much. This is a great opportunity for companies in this class to show the world their R/C products in a true racing enviroment. It doesn't get any better than this guys.

Hope to see some of you'll this March in Mexico!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TYLORD
Charlie, were you testing the EXP's or regular Slicks? With my setup I am running treaded EXP 45's and love them, but have yet to try them against more than 3 cars on the track, and I have not tried the PMT tires yet. Trying to decide if I should continue trying the Sweeps or switch to the PMT's.
From his write-up, I'm saying 45 slicks. I'm like you right now. I have the treaded Sweeps EXP45 and I like them alot. They are way better than my OFNA treaded and OFNA slicks. I've only been testing them around a parking log avoiding sidewalks and parking pumps. So far I like how they grip. I'm on the fence as far as the PMTs go but I'm very curious. Did you say the PMTs are hard?? Were you touching the 10s and 20s?? I can't see a hard tire providing much traction unless its a physics things that I'm missing. Someone please educate me.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TYLORD
Ty,
These were the EXP Slicks. The PMT tires work really well but the way i am, i wanna get these Sweeps to work the way i want them to so 1. i can learn how this car's suspension behaves and 2. i dont want to rely on JUST one set of tires because if the "good Tire" ends up being discontinued, i don't wanna be SOL.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Did you say the PMTs are hard?? Were you touching the 10s and 20s?? I can't see a hard tire providing much traction unless its a physics things that I'm missing. Someone please educate me.
Initially the tires are hard to the touch....but once heat is in them, they are great. Feel the tires after a heat/race and you'll see that they become "gummy" for lack of a better word.

I was running the center spool in my GT8 car last time out in corona with PMT 20's. Initially, jumping on the power after a corner would result in a spin. However once the tires were up to temp, the lap times began to drop and driving consistent times was easier. HOWEVER, now that all of us are running center diffs, I am certain that we'll be on the pace next time out.

If you watch the video of the last corona race....The white car (Eric) and SNR were the only 2 cars on the track with a center diff mounted. They were turning in the faster times of the field. Eric, running PMT 20's in all 4 corners lapped the field. SNR is running 20 and 10.

I've got sets of Ipanema's, PMT's and EXP's. I'll try them all out and decide from there. The EXP wheel is so much nicer, as the dish on the PMT's are fugly, but with Charlie's wheel decals, the PMT's will be acceptable. The Ipanemas also work great, but I have had a total of 3 wheels crack around the center hub, which is very diappointing.

just my .02

-- GT8 - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name id avg.mph
1 1 24 6:01.10 Eric Cunamay 46 14.95
2 2 23 6:03.78 Steve Nguyen 14 14.23
3 5 23 6:18.12 Jai Cunamay 28 13.69
4 10 22 6:05.45 charlie b 1 13.54
5 4 22 6:11.87 Anthony Dunn 12 13.31
6 8 21 6:09.08 Dan K 31 12.80
7 6 20 6:07.66 MARK WOLF 40 12.24
-- 3 --- DNS --- dave starks 15
-- 7 --- DNS --- steve d 22
-- 9 --- DNS --- RAMAN DOOMEN 36
-- 11 --- DNS --- oMAR CONDE 37

Last edited by kcunamay; 11-09-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
Quote: Originally Posted by FangsCPO Did you say the PMTs are hard?? Were you touching the 10s and 20s?? I can't see a hard tire providing much traction unless its a physics things that I'm missing. Someone please educate me. Initially the tires are hard to the touch....but once heat is in them, they are great. Feel the tires after a heat/race and you'll see that they become "gummy" for lack of a better word. I was running the center spool in my GT8 car last time out in corona with PMT 20's. Initially, jumping on the power after a corner would result in a spin. However once the tires were up to temp, the lap times began to drop and driving consistent times was easier. HOWEVER, now that all of us are running center diffs, I am certain that we'll be on the pace next time out. If you watch the video of the last corona race....The white car (Eric) and SNR were the only 2 cars on the track with a center diff mounted. They were turning in the faster times of the field. Eric, running PMT 20's in all 4 corners lapped the field. SNR is running 20 and 10. I've got sets of Ipanema's, PMT's and EXP's. I'll try them all out and decide from there. The EXP wheel is so much nicer, as the dish on the PMT's are fugly, but with Charlie's wheel decals, the PMT's will be acceptable. The Ipanemas also work great, but I have had a total of 3 wheels crack around the center hub, which is very diappointing. just my .02 -- GT8 - A Main -- Pos Car Laps time name id avg.mph 1 1 24 6:01.10 Eric Cunamay 46 14.95 2 2 23 6:03.78 Steve Nguyen 14 14.23 3 5 23 6:18.12 Jai Cunamay 28 13.69 4 10 22 6:05.45 charlie b 1 13.54 5 4 22 6:11.87 Anthony Dunn 12 13.31 6 8 21 6:09.08 Dan K 31 12.80 7 6 20 6:07.66 MARK WOLF 40 12.24 -- 3 --- DNS --- dave starks 15 -- 7 --- DNS --- steve d 22 -- 9 --- DNS --- RAMAN DOOMEN 36 -- 11 --- DNS --- oMAR CONDE 37
Those pmt's while f'ugly are durable as hell.. Wreck after wreck they're still in one piece! And the rubber gets better with use.. You can run then until they turn into slicks as SNR ha pointed out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.