Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
short course 2 1/8 late model conversions >

short course 2 1/8 late model conversions

short course 2 1/8 late model conversions

Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default short course 2 1/8 late model conversions

By now many people know you can take a short course truck and convert it easily to a 1/8 scale late model, wondering how many people are racing these modded late models, this thread is here too figure out whats the most popular truck for this conversion, and what are common problems and fixxes, as well as maybe share setup info.

Alright lets kick up some dirt.

here is the DLMRA rules for this class.

Late Model Short Course rules

This is a Late Model class based off of the two
wheel drive Short Course Trucks!

General rules:
These classes are met to be fun classes for anyone and
everyone! The idea is to be able to run your truck on the off
road, swap the body and run it on the oval!

Breakout Class:
Breakout (Limits set by track) This class will allow the guys
who's truck don't fall with in the rules to run with what they
have. Equipment rules are irrelevant! If done right it's really a
good class that everyone can be competitive in, no matter what
there skill level or speed capabilities are!

Stock Class:

Section 1:
Chassis:
Must be a stock factory SC truck! The only upgrades allowed are
durability items! Any and all upgrades must be OEM specs! All
electronics must be in the factory designed position/locatation!
No wheel adaptors!

Section 2:
Electronics:
Any ROAR approved 2-cell 7.4 lipo
Any ROAR approved speed controller
Any ROAR approved brush-less 17.5 motor or 27 turn brushed motor.

Section 3:
Bodies:
Molded one- piece bodies only.
No additional wings, flaps, spoilers, wickers, vents or doohickeys will
be allowed.
Decking is allowed
There will be no metal body parts of any kind.
All bodies must be approved.

Approved Body list:
"Stock"SC truck bodies are also legal.
C&M 2011 "Assassin"
C&M-2009 "ATOMIC"
C&M 2011 "Atomic SC"
Losi# losa8096
Ofna# 31143
RJ Speed# 1015 & 1030
A+ one piece
2009 Stalker
2010 Stalker SS
2010 Onstat LM

Section 4:
Rear Spoiler Specs:
Rear spoiler can only be as wide as the body at the rear quarter
panels.
Rear spoiler 3" max from deck.
The end caps must be a triangle shape.(See template)
You may have one fin on the spoiler and two side caps.
The third fin must also be the same dimension as side cap.
It can be located anywhere on the spoiler between the two side caps.
The fin must be in line with the side caps on the front leading edge.

Section 5:
Wheel & Tire Specs:
There will not be any grooving or sipping of the rubber tires.

Traction compounds are legal.

Wheels must be the 2.2/3.0 SC wheels, no 1/10 ST or 1/8 buggy
wheels
Tires must be the 2.2/3.0 SC rubber tires
Tracks choice on the tire pattern but must be a SC based tire.
No foams!

Mod Class:
All the rules are the same as stock but section 2.

Electronics:
Any ROAR approved 2-cell 7.4 lipo
Any ROAR approved speed controller
Any ROAR approved brush-less or brushed .05 series motor

Best kits for 1/10 rims tires (2.2" tires)
Losi XXX-SCT
Traxxas Slash
Associated SC 10

other manufacturers will need to borrow other parts from their stadium truck couterparts
(A-arms or/and steering blocks/hubs)

Last edited by wcrase101; 11-22-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: adding rules from DLMRA
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

i have a slash with late model body dnt race just for fun but took the frnt bumber all the way off leftthe rear bumper the looks good also stock tires work when the track is wet also lowered it as far as it could go. put a 1/4 inch piece of fuel tube inside ur shoxk around the shaft and it will bring the frnt end down. move ur rear all the way out . thats what i did. soon to get 17mm wheel adapters and run l8ight model tires

Last edited by newuserlosi8t; 06-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

also have a 8 scale buggy with a short course body on it
Old 06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I used to run a slash on our oval track, but switched to a blitz chassis. any body know if I m gear too high or too low, my blitz chassis late model gets way hot after 4 mins and starts to therma, first I was getting ebertything hot now its just the motor.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

I've converted an SC-10,Blitz, my Slashes to include the 4x4 slash. there great if u have others to run against I live NH. no one seems to run'em around here so i converted them back to SCT. Not enough interest i guess.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

To the fella getting his motor hot...What motor, gearing, size of track, battery.....

Here in Indianapolis at R/Car, SCT's with 1/8th Late Model bodies is one the biggest classes. Anywhere from 6 on a slow night to 15-20 show up. We ran on a huge carpet oval all winter and a GIANOURMOUS paved oval outside. Dirt oval in the works.

We were running the stock tires but they switched the rules to an open tire rule as long as it was rubber. Losi Slider rears seem to be the tires of choice or anything of that size tire/wheel. One of the first things to get rid of is the stock motors as they burn up quickly. We run 13.5's. As stated before, lower that dude down. I lower mine so the drive shafts in the rear are level. I've ran some wild cambers and tons of left side weight to normal cambers to no left side weight. Everybody has their own method of getting them to handle but all run the small tires. They even look better that way too. Dirt setups are yet to be seen but I've got an idea of what I'm shooting for.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys

I have a SC10 would love to make it a late model.

where is the best place to buy a body and how much do I need to change on the car to make the body fit.

are the standard wheels ok?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Rookie

All you have to do is remove the front bumper if you want the body lower. Alot of guys run the LOSI 1/8th scale Late Model body. OFNA makes one that is really popular too. OTT's Speed Shop has one but I haven't seen one on the track yet. I had an SC10 as a LM and the bodies fit just fine....even with stock wheels and tires. In fact, I've seen all of the SCT's (except the Kyosho)with 1/8th scale bodys and they fit just fine with no modifications. Although they do look more realistic lowered and with smaller tires on them.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
clb
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running a slash 4x4 with all stock electronics. 1/8 scale late model body from otts speed shop, looks alot better than the losi body. If you run the body from otts make sure to run 6 body posts. Took off the stock front bumper and added a ofna gtp front bumper with foam and added the body post there. Aka hub adaptors to run dlm2 or aka crossbrace 1/8 scale tires. Other than that the 4x4 is just a quick as a nitro late model if not quicker. Have been running at state line rc and summit rc in Indiana on the dirt oval
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have very seriously been thinking of trying to get this class going around here..looks like it would be alot of fun...I knwo the stalker rc 1/8 lm bodies are pretty realistic, and perform great. They are very reasonably priced to..alot of 8th scale lm bodies are $60+ theres are only like $45 Anyone have any video of the trucks racing as LM's ?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBull99 View Post
I have very seriously been thinking of trying to get this class going around here..looks like it would be alot of fun...I knwo the stalker rc 1/8 lm bodies are pretty realistic, and perform great. They are very reasonably priced to..alot of 8th scale lm bodies are $60+ theres are only like $45 Anyone have any video of the trucks racing as LM's ?
I do from our local track in monroe ,WI. We have a out door track normally but have just started a dirt oval so its a small class right now. the green on is my old slash late model trying to hang with the losi 4wd lm. the class has just started and we already have four more than when Itaped this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1CNAtBWhA
you can always check my channel too I will be adding more video when there are more 2 wheel late models going.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dustin Proffitt View Post
To the fella getting his motor hot...What motor, gearing, size of track, battery.....

Here in Indianapolis at R/Car, SCT's with 1/8th Late Model bodies is one the biggest classes. Anywhere from 6 on a slow night to 15-20 show up. We ran on a huge carpet oval all winter and a GIANOURMOUS paved oval outside. Dirt oval in the works.

We were running the stock tires but they switched the rules to an open tire rule as long as it was rubber. Losi Slider rears seem to be the tires of choice or anything of that size tire/wheel. One of the first things to get rid of is the stock motors as they burn up quickly. We run 13.5's. As stated before, lower that dude down. I lower mine so the drive shafts in the rear are level. I've ran some wild cambers and tons of left side weight to normal cambers to no left side weight. Everybody has their own method of getting them to handle but all run the small tires. They even look better that way too. Dirt setups are yet to be seen but I've got an idea of what I'm shooting for.

My senor wire broke inside the speedo and I thought it was getting too hot, it's been find now except now I have to run the 5.5 in it for now.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey guys does anyone have a pic of a stock short course truck with a late model body on it?

would love to see what the look like before I go out and buy the body.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Here you go

[/IMG]
Slash 4x4

[IMG][/IMG]
Blitz
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

short course 2 1/8 late model conversions-006.jpg

click on the picture this is a blitz chassis late model

Last edited by wcrase101; 06-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.