Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners... >

FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...

FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners... UPDATED!!!

Hiya, I need your help.

I had been running a GT2 bodyshell for the last 6 years on my FG and I fancied a change to a GT3 shell. So I bought it all, painted it and stickered it up, only to find that it doesn't fit

ALL the wheels rub in the arches and it makes it unusable without lossing the paint off it, and after the hard work I don't want to do that. I need to raise it up. What are my options and how did you get yours to fit?

The GT2 shell fits perfectly.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...-n96image399.jpg  

Last edited by Tony Turbo; 05-12-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Turbo
Hiya, I need your help.

I had been running a GT2 bodyshell for the last 6 years on my FG and I fancied a change to a GT3 shell. So I bought it all, painted it and stickered it up, only to find that it doesn't fit

ALL the wheels rub in the arches and it makes it unusable without lossing the paint off it, and after the hard work I don't want to do that. I need to raise it up. What are my options and how did you get yours to fit?

The GT2 shell fits perfectly.

Thanks
By the way that is a beautiful paint job.
To solve the problem on the front, you need to raise the vertical body post and you can also move the front A arms to the front so that the wheels dont rub as you turn them. The front A arms have black spacers that can be removed and relocated on both the upper and lower A arms. Take a few off one side and put them on the other side, so that the A arms are moved towards the front (hence, increasing your wheelbase).

For the rear it was a little bit trickier since the body post are not vertical, instead they are at an angle pointing backward. So you need to play with that.

As a matter of fact, if you raise the body height in the rear, the hole body will be shifted backwards, hence solving your problem at the front, that way you dont have to touch the A arms.

I hope this helps!!!

I'll take some pics of my car tonight.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for replying Luis and for the comments. I only painted it white, the rest is stickers, but I'll still take the credit lol.

The problem I think is the middle mounts. I don't use the bonnet style mount, I prefer to mount the front using the foam bumper. I haven't made the posts for the front yet until I can get the body sitting how I want.

It is as if the middle mounts have been drilled too high by FG, if they were say 10mm lower down (pushing the body up) I don't think I'd have an issue. I was thinking of maybe packing out the middle mounts to bring them up.

The rear mount is at it's limit but I could always make/ buy longer ones for that.

That's why I'm interested to see how yours looks. There is tons of clearance on the GT2
Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just noticed that you dont have the hood (bonet) body posts.
I am afraid to tell you but I think you will need to use these instead of the ones on the front bumper.
Unless you make the holes bigger ir modify their location in the bumper, I doubt that you will be able to modify the front height.
Good luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hmmmmmmm, it isn't looking good for this shell....

I'm doing a suspension set up at the moment, seeing as you race yours and use yours a lot. Would you be able to give me some base settings for a car park if you don't mind sharing please Luis?

Thank you, PM if you want
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Tech Initiate

UPDATE!

I got it to fit, be being clever lol.

All I did was take off the body mount plates from under the chassis, and put them on top of the chassis. This gave me an extra 8mm of height that I needed. It doesn't sound a lot but it's enough, and if I want to go higher I can by putting some washers or spacers underneath. I might do that to the rear anyway to give it more of a nose down look.

Don't worry, I am going to use the correct bolts, this was just a test
Attached Thumbnails FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...-n96image408.jpg   FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...-n96image409.jpg   FAO: LuisR and other FG Porsche owners...-n96image410.jpg  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

UPDATE!

All I did was take off the body mount plates from under the chassis, and put them on top of the chassis. This gave me an extra 8mm of height that I needed. It doesn't sound a lot but it's enough, and if I want to go higher I can by putting some washers or spacers underneath. I might do that to the rear anyway to give it more of a nose down look.

Tony,
That is a quick good solution!
I did notice that your chassis is very close to the ground. What is your ride height? For parking lot racing I tend to increase my ride height, more than normal. For example, i would use 8 to 10 mm in the front and 12 to 14 in the rear.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Luis. It was a quick fix, but because I have mounted my brakes through one of the holes in the chassis I had to cut the plates down on the front, and now now it takes even longer to switch between GT2 and GT3, but who cares.... I got it to fit! LOL

It is around 8mm front and 10mm rear. I do want to raise it up a bit. I haven't had a chance to test it yet as I sent my engine away.

What is the best way to set the ride height, do you use the droop screws to screw it down to the height you want or do it all on the shock?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Luis. It was a quick fix, but because I have mounted my brakes through one of the holes in the chassis I had to cut the plates down on the front, and now now it takes even longer to switch between GT2 and GT3, but who cares.... I got it to fit! LOL

It is around 8mm front and 10mm rear. I do want to raise it up a bit. I haven't had a chance to test it yet as I sent my engine away.

What is the best way to set the ride height, do you use the droop screws to screw it down to the height you want or do it all on the shock?
The droop screws are for setting the rebound travel.
I first set the ride height with the springs, but be careful not to over-do the pre-load on the springs (by rotating the colar on the springs) which will tend the springs to be under too much pressure. Sometimes you can use different length springs to achieve different ride heights. What i am trying to get at is, lets say you endup squishing the rear spring to the max to get the ride height you want, by then you have too much preload on the springs.
The droop screws you can set how much travel in the rebound. For example
if you set the front ride height to 8mm and droop in the front to 2mm. That means that when you lift the front end and just before the front wheels start to go up in the air (no surface contact) your ride height at that point is 10mm. I usually use low droop in the front and greater in the rear (1-3mm in the front and 5-10mm in the rear). The greater droop in the rear help on the weight transfer to the front during braking.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Luis.

That is kind of what I thought on how to do it. What I don't get is how do you achieve the height you want without making the suspension super stiff? Is that what all the different holes in the arms are for, so you can put the shock in the right place to get the right height?

I have a selection of different springs but how do you know which is best to fit to get the height you want and the right sort of stiffness. I've looked and looked and haven't found a decent online guide on how to set these up. I don't know how I did it last time but the car used to handle really well. I want the same again now it is alloy.

Sorry if I am asking dumb, annoying questions
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

UPDATE!

Your pictures are showing the CORRECT way those mounts fit on the chassis!! Having them on the bottom side --is incorrect. That's why the aluminum mounts have a countersink on the bottom side---so the screws fit properly. At least on my EVO 8!!! I"m surprised your other body fit at all. It should have been way too low as well.

FYI
T
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry, but I disagree with what you've said. The chassis is cut out perfectly for the plates to go underneath so they sit flush. EVERY FG I've ever seen has them this way, and if they were meant to sit on top they wouldn't fit because the pull start on the engine would foul the plates.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Sorry, but I disagree with what you've said. The chassis is cut out perfectly for the plates to go underneath so they sit flush. EVERY FG I've ever seen has them this way, and if they were meant to sit on top they wouldn't fit because the pull start on the engine would foul the plates.
NONE of the FG's that race here in SoCal are set up that way. Your chassis must be an older version that we don't see anymore. The EVO 8 I'm running has the plastic mounts on top of the chassis--and the chassis mounts are counter-sunk for the screws that hold them on from the bottom. It doesn't interfere with the pull start at all. But good that you got yours to work.
T
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I think I've worked it out. The little metal plates sit on the bottom with the plastic body mount on top. What I've done is kept that standard arrangement but moved the metal plate from the bottom to the top.

Might have been crossed wires?

My chassis is Evo3, that's the last competition spec chassis FG made for the SWB
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

I think I've worked it out. The little metal plates sit on the bottom with the plastic body mount on top. What I've done is kept that standard arrangement but moved the metal plate from the bottom to the top.

Might have been crossed wires?

My chassis is Evo3, that's the last competition spec chassis FG made for the SWB
Gotcha!!!!