Community
Wiki Posts
Search

February 1/5 RACING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My only personal experience is with the "FG" cars out of Germany. VS Modelsports here in Calif imports them and they ROCK!!! I've got a 4 year old EVO 4 and the new EVO 8 and they both work really well. If you've got the racing bug--go with the FG or Contrast cars as they've been the fastest in the last year or so here in SoCal.
FWIW
Tim
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Where can I find the race schedule for the 5th scale program? I'll link it on the shop's web site. Any two day events in the works? A few of us out of towners are looking forward to a trip down south.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Hi Tony--

I'll get you a copy of the race schedule---but our NEXT 2 day race will be at the Pomona RCX Show in March-- 19-21st. Practice on Friday--qualifying on Saturday and racing on Sunday!!! Come on down--we'd love to race with ya!!

Frank Killam has also sponsored a "Corvette Cup" for GT bodied cars---of course if you run his Corvette body-- you get a 1 lap handicap!!! (Wish)!! It's a 5 race series---

The first race is the RCX show---then April 24th and 25th --May 8,9th --June 26, 27th and July 24, 25th!!

No throw outs--- so you'll need to make all the races if you want to win!! But it should be FUN!!!

I think the entry form for the RCX Show is on the GLARCRC Website. I'll check the link and post it here in a few minutes.

Thanks
Tim
The website hasn't been updated yet--- but it should be soon.
http://www.greaterlarc.com/

Last edited by timmig; 03-01-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

I haven't seen anything posted about last weekend's GLARCRC Race--- I certainly don't have all the finish's of the 1/8 scale 1/10 scale or motorcycles --but I can comment on the whole day and the 1/5 scale races.
BEAUTIFUL weather for the whole day of racing. The track was setup the day before in the rain--so we were ready to start as soon as conditions got dry enough to spray and prep the track surface. Which the club did with a lot of help from everyone in attendance.
The qualifying went smoothly all day long--we only had 8? entry's in 1/5 scale--so we ran Street and GT class's. I was the only double entry--running my old EVO 4 car in Street and my new EVO 8 car in GT. after 2 rounds of qualifying I was fortunate to TQ both class's. Since I was the only double entry--we combined the class's for the final. Bob Sarnelle qualified 2nd the first time driving his EVO 8 car in GT in a LONG time!! And the lap times between Bob --Alan Trump and myself were LESS than .10 second apart--so I would NOT get a cruise to the finish. I was able to get a clean start though---and as Bob and Alan Trump battled for 2nd position--I was able to pull away for a clean race to bring home the victory--Bob was 2nd with Alan in 3rd.
IN F-1 1/5 scale--- David B qualified on the POLE---with Sarnelle in 2nd Trump in 3rd and Jay Kimbrough in 4th. After a clean start by David-- Bob S / Trump and Kimbrough managed to smack each other around for several opening laps-- David pulled out a 1/2 lap lead-- with JayKimbrough in 2nd ---but Sarnelle--finally getting clear of Trump---started really laying down some quick laps. He was especially fast in the S section after the turn in at the end of the straight!! He was making up 5 to 10' a LAP on the other cars in that section. He did get by Jay K for 2nd---and eventually caught David for first--and they had quite a battle to the end as Bob would get a small lead--and he had a problem with his reciever batteries---if he used his brakes--it would put too much load on the cells--and his car would lock the brakes in "fail safe" mode!!! Then --it would come off--and he could drive the car again for a few laps --before it would happen again!!! By the end of the race--it allowed David to take back the lead--and Bob ended up 2nd with Jay Kimbrough bringing home 3rd. Alan Trump pulled out with some sort of mechanical difficulties.
All in all---a VERY fun day----and TEAR DOWN went really smoothly---as nearly all the racers helped--and the track was down and in the trailer in less than 20 minutes!!! THANK YOU to ALL WHO HELPED!!!
That's really what makes racing with GLARCRC the best---when everyone pulls together to help make the race a success!!!
Congrats for a very smooth race day to Glenn Tom and Kenny--- and ALL who helped with setup and tear down!!!!
T
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
vrj
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timmig
My only personal experience is with the "FG" cars out of Germany. VS Modelsports here in Calif imports them and they ROCK!!! I've got a 4 year old EVO 4 and the new EVO 8 and they both work really well. If you've got the racing bug--go with the FG or Contrast cars as they've been the fastest in the last year or so here in SoCal.
FWIW
Tim
Timmig - I've raced 1/8 on-road cars for a while but haven't raced in a few years and I've been looking at 5th scale cars for about a year now.

I'm wondering what is the going price for a good used FG EVO 06 or 07 ( I want the hydralic disc brakes) ?

I'm thinking that 5th scale would be a little more economical than 1/8th on-road.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vrj
Timmig - I've raced 1/8 on-road cars for a while but haven't raced in a few years and I've been looking at 5th scale cars for about a year now.

I'm wondering what is the going price for a good used FG EVO 06 or 07 ( I want the hydralic disc brakes) ?

I'm thinking that 5th scale would be a little more economical than 1/8th on-road.

Not only it will be more economical, it will be a more realistic feel of race car driving, as supposed to point and shut with the 1/8th scale cars.
Happy to hear more 1/5 scale drivers are joining the family!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You should also consider an F1. There are some really good deals to be had right now on good used F1's and we are trying to build up the class.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vrj

I think anything under $2000 for that late model a car would be a good deal depending on what radio equipment it had/ spares available etc>
I know of a good car available out there now--it's an EVO 4 but never ran!!! In perfect condition--with Mugen hydrolic brakes-- $1800. Call me
714 240 5417
And per Alan's comment about F-1--mine may be available!! CHEAP!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
vrj
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timmig
I think anything under $2000 for that late model a car would be a good deal depending on what radio equipment it had/ spares available etc>
I know of a good car available out there now--it's an EVO 4 but never ran!!! In perfect condition--with Mugen hydrolic brakes-- $1800. Call me
714 240 5417
And per Alan's comment about F-1--mine may be available!! CHEAP!!
Aft53/Timmig - Thanks for your comments but I'm not really interested in the F1 class. The STC class is what I'm currently looking at.

Timmig - I've left you a message regarding the EVO 4