Oval Racing

Old 02-22-2002, 02:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Oval Racing

Its funny that there isnt any talk of oval in the OVAL forum. So, here it is. I havent raced oval yet but I have a 10L3O all dialed in with a fresh set of BSR caps on it. Gunna try and get in a few hours of play here soon on the local Velodrome.

This is the place for all you roundy-rounders and wanna be roundry rounders(me) to swap setups race ideas and knowledge.

Have at it.

IKE
Old 02-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Ike,

I'm a long time (12 years geez, that is long) oval racer in Indy. Oval's fun but it is demanding on the chassis! I've done mostly flat/short carpet racing over the years but have a little experience on velodromes and asphalt parking lots. Hope to get more people on here and share some info.

Let me know how your first superspeedway experience turns out,
Brian
Old 02-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Brian,
What chassis are you running? We have a carpet track here that i could run flat oval on. What setup you got on that chassis. Something new for me to try
IKE
Old 02-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey bad,
what tracks you race at. I did race my tc3, micro, and G-Force at Hobbytown Indy but they are closing there track down. Life sucks. Now i think i am gonna look for a new track. I heard about the veledrome but isnt that big. can you give me some info about it. I live in Brownsburg do you know of any tracks close. I think someone is thinking about opening a track close to the Airport. New Castle is to far away. Maybe me and my friend will just open a track ourselves.

I NEED TO RACE!!! by the way i was just driving my g-force inside trying out a new esc and it started to smoke. it works still but i dont know why it smoked. my cyclone tc smoked also. I have a GM V12. I was using Integy 4 cell and putnum p2k2. It ran fine the day before. Hopefully it was somekind of bad charge or something just got into the motor.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey i just saw someone do this while fixing tweak on there car. I dont have a scale. He put to quarters on the front tires. he then stuck something under the chassis util you can see it in the little x part up front. he lifted it up barely three times and saw which coin fell of first. dont know what after that. any insight on this?
Old 02-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

he was adjusting tweak. That is an old trick you set a penny on each front tire at 1'O'clock and then find the dead center of the car and then use an exacto knife to lift the car at that center point. Then whichever penny falls first is the side that is tweaked. the only problem with doing it this was is the back of the car can be tweaked as well.
IKE
Old 02-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

is there a tuning guide for oval cars anywhere?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

hey guys,
Sorry for the delay here, been unable to get on here for a day or two.

Anyway, I race at Hobbytown Indy (yeah, life sucks, vodo).
When I ran 19T 4cell I used a Wood X15. I wasn't the fastest guy on the track but I did make the A and drove against some people with a lot of sponsor $.
Jaco Tires Grn LF, Pur RF, White LR, White or Aqua RR.
Assoc VCS springs, Silver Left, Blue Right, 20W
Delta Center Shock, 30W, Orange Spring
Wolfe Red springs up front, Stiffer for less steering, softer for more
Run a good sized wing mounted to the body-I use a thunderbolt. Whatever type you use, tou don't need a lot of angle on it, just big side dams- that helps the car stay stable down the straights.
For bodies I would try a Protoform Taurus or Intrepid. I try to stay away from the hi-downforce cars, they tend to bog the car down.

Foam, L30's have a strong push in them on short/flat carpet tracks. Run the wheelbase as short as you can. You may have to soften the tires to get it to turn.

I'll try to e-mail you guys some attachments for chassis tuning.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

i got the guide. that was awsome. antways i was wondering where you are going to go after hobbytown closes. My friends dad and my parents are paying for a place and getting us the money and we are going to run a track. if we get enough people we will open a bigger shop. I live in brownsburg and thats where we are opening up a track. probably will be just like hobbytown size. ozite also. a couple new classes though. We can't open it until we get at least 100 people write down that they will come. The prices will be a lot cheaper than hobbytown. My friends dad is a realator and has a couple good places in mind. we asked sonny if they are selling the transponder system and he said no. i wonder why? anyways the prices were going to be for like a membership. you pay like anywhere from $25-40 a month. there are three different memberships. each one is better than the other in some way. that will cover unlimited practice, the number of classes you can sign up for, prices for parts will be less with the expensive membership, that also covers races. the track can only be open fri,sat,sun. may be open on holidays when im off school. well it would be open a lot more if we can hire more people.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Glad those sites helped. Try to get a copy of Carrol Smith's Tune to Win and you'll understand a lot more about chassis dynamics, tires, and aero.

Vodo, it sounds like you have a nice plan, I hope things work out for you. I don't like to race weekends (I have three toddlers at home), but it sounds like you have the structure of a good club. Just remember, most people buy their most expensive parts mail-order or over the internet. I've watched a lot of good hobby shops go down in flames because they can't move expensive merchandise (especially chassis, batteries, motors, and electronics).
Old 02-28-2002, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

yea thats what we thought also. we figured to get maybe a couple expensive things, because any new people who decide to get a car needs batteries, motors, and a speed control. they dont want to wait. what we really wanted was mainly parts when they break something. they could always ask us to order something for them.

I buy all my motors from whatever hobbyshop i am at. i buy brushes also. i dont see why they even bother keeping the composite chassis and stuff, if your buying a new chassis, half the time you are getting a better one.

Where are you going to race at now that hobbytown is closing. I think im gonna job shadow sonny before they close so i can job shadow someone and get learn about a track.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Well, I guess I'll be hitting New Castle once or twice a month next winter, and the velodrome this summer a couple times. I might try to get down to Cincinnatti with some guys over the summer for 12th scale. If a new track opens, I'll race Fridays if nothing else is available.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Tech Initiate

tell me a little about the veledrome. trent sherfield told me about it.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

1080 feet of banked concrete. 4cell/19T should run about 18 laps. Need BSR Silver Hot weather tires. I haven't raced there in 8+ years but am going back this summer. Ask arounf at HTU and they'll give you more info, I don't have any dates.

Hey Foam, did you make a velo run yet?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Sign,
No I havent gotten to run yet. My poor L3O is just sitting there with nothing to do. I guess its OK because I cant seem to find the right body to run on the VELO. Everybody says something different and all of the bodies are no longer being produced that I have been told to buy. While I am at it. Sign can you send me those links to the tuning sites as well I didnt get them.
IKE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.