Old 03-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.nascart.com/oval.htm
http://www.longacreracing.com/articl...at.asp?CATID=2
http://gallery.uunet.be/heremanss/
http://teamrcv.com/modules.php?op=mo...ticles&secid=8

Here's a little more for velo setup:
Red or stiffer front springs (Wolfe). On a stock 10L30 that may mean .024 or stiffer.

Use as much caster as possible. Shim the front mount holes on the bottom arms a little higher than the rear to add extra caster.

Soft rear side springs- silver or blue
Silver main spring

Run the ride height higher than usual. You don't want the chassis scraping over bumps or bottoming from wind gusts.

Try to find a high-speed Protoform body if you can. I'm not sure if they are still made or not. The regular Monte Carlo's look a little to slope-nosed to me. I may try an Intrepid or Taurus if I cant find a HS one. I've heard to avoid a lightweight body because the speed distorts them. Don't know how true that is, however.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

well there is a lot of talk about more tracks. there is one in plainfield, one maybe in anderson, one right in the middle of hobbytown and anderson, and probably a lot more. ill probably wait to see if a track pops up and if it is not close than ill open one.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

what tricks do you guys do to make a smooth differential.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Sand the diff rings with 400+ grit paper (lay the paper on a glass-smooth surface, rub the rings on them in a figure 8)

Use a small amount of lube in your palm and roll the balls around in it to coat them lightly.

Check your outside bearing to make sure it's still good. That's the usual suspect in a bad diff.

I use an IRS axle with o-rings and love it. I can build the diff smooth and tighten it down a ton. Makes for a much better starting holeshot and corner exit.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Tech Initiate

what do you think about the niftech or associated axles. i can get one pretty cheap.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Associated always has nice parts, but I love my IRS axle. I avoid anything that says "Niftech" on it.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

ok i got the irs axle, its awsome. now what do you guys think are the best rings.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Rings I use are standard yea standard. The key is the balls, lube and the bearings that are on the hub.
I am assuming all parts are new if not they should be in perfect shape. I normally use a new bearing in the outside hub and a cleaned checked bearing in the inside hub. My regime is use Slick 50 synthetic grease (at the auto parts store) a thin film on the rings. Using thin CA (less than a drop, use a pipet if possible) glue ring to axle and to hub. Set gear on ring and with a little grease on you fingers lube each ball and insert in proper holes. slide the hub assembley inplace and seat the balls by twisting the shaft and hub a few times with pressure on the diff by hand not using the adjuster yet. This will spare over burdoning the bearings during break in. Then put in the spacers and lock nut to tighten down the diff. if at any point something feels wrong. start again. bearing not clean, you did not prepare a clean environment to do this in the first place. If all is done well and you don't over tighten the diff you will have a long lasting diff. I have cars that the diffs have not been rebuilt for years and are still smooth.

PS if you think Im bsing you I send you my 1995 Norcca National trophy. (Don't ask you can't have it)
Old 03-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

my bearings are super smooth, i use prolong,tribotech,slick 50, and wd40. i pour a little in a metal cup holder thing and i put it over a fire. it mixes it and thins it. its AWSOME. i have something else to but dont know what it is. its my dads and it has no label. its the main ingrediant of the thing though.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Man you are living large! cooking up your own grease. No way with the petroleum products and open flame (no electric stoves here) equals potential fire hassle. the diff smoothness is usely cause from bearing failure on the hub more so that balls. That is if you don't run the diff too loose. a little slip is not going to flat spot the balls to soon. besides the easy way to tell if its the bearing or the balls is to back out the lock nut and use pressure against the hub to spin the diff. If its rough do the balls if not replace the bearing.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by vodo321
I did race my tc3, micro, and G-Force at Hobbytown Indy but they are closing there track down. Life sucks.
Is HT Indy really closing their track down?
I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and was planning on running there this Saturday.

Whats the deal?
Old 03-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Initiate

yes, hobbytown is closing the track side of the place and expanding the store. it isnt makeing enough money is what they say. WHATEVER! oh well, someplace will pop up close to me, i just have a feeling
Old 03-22-2002, 11:40 PM
Tech Initiate

It isn't making enough money???

I understand rent in Castleton must be outrageous, but $12 per competitor two days out of the week should cover it?

Are they really expanding, or just closing that area down so it can become a different store.

So what the heck am I supposed to do with all the stuff I bought this year specifically to race there?
Old 03-23-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Initiate

the track section is closing and in its place while be a add on to the hobby shop. there are tracks going to be popping up all around. people are thinking of tracks close to anderson, the airport, brownsburg, and much more. you could race oval at the veladrome on 38th street. its huge though. about 10 times hobbytown banked. no lie. or go to race over in new castle or something like that.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

You say many tracks popping up?

Have you been hearing this just from the angry people from HT Indy saying this that they wish they could open another track, or from acutal business people or building owners that have stated that they would like to open another track???

I know I would open a track if I could get the $4k timing and scoring system and had the space somewhere.

I would probably have to invest in a lot more equipment to run at the Velodrome!

Just plain sad the place to race is going to be gone at the end of April!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.