Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
5th scale in CA.. So & No (on-road only) >

5th scale in CA.. So & No (on-road only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5th scale in CA.. So & No (on-road only)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RS5PoisonClan
Hey Ray:

Hope all is well. Sent PM to you asking for info about the ROAR regionals. One more question; how many days is it and when does it start?

Thanks,

Hugh
PM Replied.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shaw has been doing a great job of promoting 5th scale racing. I think he will come through on having something worked out.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Anyone racing 1/5 scale cars in Orange County besides Jay Kimbrough??
Tim
Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Angelshark
Shaw has been doing a great job of promoting 5th scale racing. I think he will come through on having something worked out.
Thank you, Angel
I will make more effort to complete this progaram.
I also appreciate your very much effort to support all 5th scale racers all the time.
I appreciate every body supporting this program, Victor, Rory,BrianT, Chris V, Bryon N, Ryan N, Dani/contrast spain,Eric, and my son And every body else getting involved
And now Glenn,Tom,Nelson from GLARCRC
Patrick,Bing from ABC hobby usa.

We should get there for our great hobby to have a lot of fun.

Shaw
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Costs

What is the range in costs to get started racing 1/5 scale?
How hard is it to get parts for the sedan or F1 cars?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

There's a wide varience in how much you can spend. I spoke to Frank Killam about the FG cars from Germany. Looks like we can get the new "Street" class style of cars complete RTR -- for around $1400. Then I'm sure you'll need some spares and wheels and tires--call it another $300 minimum to be able to race --- You might be able to start cheaper buying used equipment. But I'm thinking a conservative investment of $2000 to be able to race a season.
FWIW
And--- You CAN spend a lot more!!! How fast do you want to go? How many class's do you want to run???
Tim
Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mitokomon
Thank you, Angel
I will make more effort to complete this progaram.
I also appreciate your very much effort to support all 5th scale racers all the time.
I appreciate every body supporting this program, Victor, Rory,BrianT, Chris V, Bryon N, Ryan N, Dani/contrast spain,Eric, and my son And every body else getting involved
And now Glenn,Tom,Nelson from GLARCRC
Patrick,Bing from ABC hobby usa.

We should get there for our great hobby to have a lot of fun.

Shaw
Thanks Shaw!!Add 1 more racer in the street class!!Mario at Speed Shop Hobbies Lawndale will try to make it next week!!I'm trying to convince Mario to run with us.He's getting the HARM ready!!I heard Patrick's other FG is being worked on by Rory and You for a loaner car!!I wonder who's the lucky driver for that car?!!?Thanks again Shaw and keep up the good work!! "eyotoko dane"....
Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Hey--I'd love to test drive a "loaner" car at the next race!!
CYA there"
Tim
Old 09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Frank may be correct on the pricing for the entry level cars. However, there are many good used top-of-the-line cars available right now, both touring cars cars and F1. So, why not spend the same money and get the best?

As an example, I have a used HARM F1 available for sale. I spent over 20 hours assembling the car as if I were going to race it. The car can be purchased as a rolling chassis with hydraulic brakes, a steering servo and a practice body for $700. This is a $3,000 car new. All you need to add is a motor (I have a good modified motor for another $150), 2 servos and your radio. I have not been pushing the sale of the car because I would like to get someone local involved in racing F1.

I also know of 2 very good FG EVO 7 touring cars for sale at reasonable prices.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aft53
Frank may be correct on the pricing for the entry level cars. However, there are many good used top-of-the-line cars available right now, both touring cars cars and F1. So, why not spend the same money and get the best?

As an example, I have a used HARM F1 available for sale. I spent over 20 hours assembling the car as if I were going to race it. The car can be purchased as a rolling chassis with hydraulic brakes, a steering servo and a practice body for $700. This is a $3,000 car new. All you need to add is a motor (I have a good modified motor for another $150), 2 servos and your radio. I have not been pushing the sale of the car because I would like to get someone local involved in racing F1.

I also know of 2 very good FG EVO 7 touring cars for sale at reasonable prices.
It seems from reading this thread most of you guys are from western and southern states... are there any races or tracks in the Northeast?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default Northeast Tracks

Originally Posted by DraftDriver
It seems from reading this thread most of you guys are from western and southern states... are there any races or tracks in the Northeast?
Northeast Racetracks:
301 Raceway should be up and running spring 2010
Location Bradywine Maryland

The track is being renovated right now but should be up and running next year. The last 1/5th race we had almost 20 locals. Most of us just switched from nitro to 1/5th this year so we have a lot to learn. The guys on the west coast have the most experience and knowledge. I always try to browse this thread for tips and knowledge.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

I'd be interested in any / all good used cars for sale. I'd love to race F-1 as well as the new "street" class to get started. It's hard to know where to look yet for 1/5 scale as there's not a lot of information out there with such a small group currently racing them. I'd love to try and get OC active in 1/5 scale-- you have a LA contingent-- the more racers we can get--the better.
I'd like to see your F-1 car--Frank is bringing out one of his cars for me to check out.
I'm just getting interested--I'll be at the next race on the 13th? If anyone has cars they would like to sell--bring them out. I may not yet be ready to buy---but I'm close. Just need to be sure what I'm getting into--and if there's going to be races to attend.
Thanks
Tim
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

For sure I will be there on Saturday for practice. I'm not as sure about Sunday as yet, but maybe.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Holeshot
Northeast Racetracks:
301 Raceway should be up and running spring 2010
Location Bradywine Maryland

The track is being renovated right now but should be up and running next year. The last 1/5th race we had almost 20 locals. Most of us just switched from nitro to 1/5th this year so we have a lot to learn. The guys on the west coast have the most experience and knowledge. I always try to browse this thread for tips and knowledge.
Sounds great! What is the most popular 1/5 racing class?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think its a matter of popular. The touring cars have been around a long time compared to the F1 cars. Therefore, there are more touring cars than F1 cars. However several of the touring car drivers, myself included, also drive F1's. I really enjoy the F1 since with an open wheel car you need to be a more careful driver and do not want to get involved in a demolition derby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.