Community
Wiki Posts
Search

301 Raceway 5th Scale Points Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Default hey everyone here the news you been waiting for

Hello my fellow 1/5 scale racers, my R/C 1/5 scale family (you know who you are if not I will post the picture of the last gathering), and future and potential 1/5 scale racers.

"We can do this!" Quote from President Obama and it has been approved. I had a lenghtly discussion with Chris and he has approved the Point Series for 1/5 scale for 2009 season. August 15 will be a warm up for the Nationals. Yes we are going to placing a Bid wit ROAR for the 1/5 scale national to be held August 26 through 30. I will be meeting with Chris to develop the proposal and see to it that is submitted in a (hopefully) a timely fashion. Additionally, the 1/7 scale will be a demonstration class during the 1/5 scale national. Rules for 1/7 scale pending on the responses and attendees prior to August. So the classes with be Super Sedan, GT, and Formula 1 as defined by ROAR rules and 1/7 scale nitro's.

The 1/7 scale will be running as an outlaw class ( as it did last year) under the same rules (limited). the points system will be the same format as it is and has been for all other series ran at 301 raceway so not to worry....Ted X is excellent in keeping the numbers straight posting them for those racers who are serious about feeding their ego during the series to ensure that their report card reflects their performance during each month.

I know that it is going to take a lot of adminstrative energy and patience on my part to make this season successful...so I welcome Brian's and Scott's offer to over see my car if I am unable to race so that I can ensure that everyone has a a smooth race day for all. My tech inspector will be Scott and his assistance will be Will (or Carlton Keys in his absents)

I am still considering a protest committee which I don't think I will need on but in case I have one person in mind but I have not approached him about it. He has to pass security clearance first. Also, health permiting, I will be leaving the country for personal reasons probable between March and June.

I am still about having fun during the series and I would encourage anyone who needs help or has questions to please don't hestiate to contact me.

So stay tune for more information to come. A big hand for Chris accepting the 1/5 Point Series at 301 Raceway. the rain dates for the races on saturday will be the following sunday (next day) Also the October date can change depending on 10 scale nitro nationals.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Luis,
its cool man...lol...im still in love with that 1/5th sedans...im just the type of guy that likes to know things...im saving up now, making a few adjustments...I got the NT1 for 1/10th, and im making room for the 1/5th...so im not jumping ship!! lol

On another note...what about 1/5th setups? and how long will a set of tires last me? so i need separate tires for qualifying and a set of race tires? also, due to the long run times that the 1/5th needs, is it safe to say that during mains, there will be no pitting for fuel only repairs?? thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Carlton, I'll help with anything I can. My only concern is also for marshalling. I'm running 2 classes, as are most everyone else. Some 3 classes. Unfortunately, I can't come up with any ideas to get around it.

BadKarma - everyone at the track is very helpful as far as setup goes. Carlton and Scott are very experienced and have a wealth of information available and are never too busy to give advice and help out. Most everything I've learned has been from the two of them. As far as tires, you won't need 2 sets for every race. One set will easily last you a full race day, even if you're running 2 classes with the same car. 301 raceway is notoriously gentle on tires. And there is no need for pitting in the main.

Brian
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

I'd like to address a motor issue... What is the deal with the timing covers this year? The ones with the coil mounts and external timing marks are ROAR/IFMAR legal. Frank had said he was going to iron out the rules, don't know if it happened or not. There's a huge different between statically adjusting the timing at 0 RPM and having a mechanical advance that varies timing throughout the RPM range.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I'd like to address a motor issue... What is the deal with the timing covers this year? The ones with the coil mounts and external timing marks are ROAR/IFMAR legal. Frank had said he was going to iron out the rules, don't know if it happened or not. There's a huge different between statically adjusting the timing at 0 RPM and having a mechanical advance that varies timing throughout the RPM range.
Alan, I'm going to answer on behalf of Carlton because I've spoken with him in depth on this subject and I don't think he wants to continue the debate because it's not going to change anything. I don't think Frank made any ammendments to the ROAR rulebook, but it wouldn't matter if he did. The "no adjustable timing cover" situation was made into a "301 track rule". Although I agree with you, it's not something worth revisiting. It was a situation that came up last year and I was given the option of changing the cover to satisfy the track rule, or don't run at all. I chose to change the cover. I suggest, as I have in every conversation we've had on the subject over the last 6 months, you contact Ian and get a fixed timing cover for the motor for $20. You have 2 motors, so set one up with a fixed cover for 301 and leave the other one to use at the Nats if you like. Adjustable timing covers are not, and will not, be allowed in the 301 5th scale points series.

Brian
Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Thank you Brian

Thank you Brain for you response to Allen.

The main concept is that the rules can be interperted in many different ways.....so to put an end to this most of the people who race at 301 including those from out of town voted to not accept this type of engine . I am not sure how it will be handled at the Nationals however, during our point series, the point series is designed to built up the population and support or 1/5 scale r/c racing at 301.

Most of guys are beginners, so Allan I agree with Brain suggestion, you have a legal stock engine, so run it, and please stop addressing what has been answered for you in the past since it was your concern....it is not going to change this year....it is a 301 rule and all engine will be tech by Scott , who you know him very well and he can tell his position as well on this subject...so if you find the resources to come race with us this year please be legal....I got enough headaches..so I am asked that this doesn't get re-addressed again. thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
Luis,
its cool man...lol...im still in love with that 1/5th sedans...im just the type of guy that likes to know things...im saving up now, making a few adjustments...I got the NT1 for 1/10th, and im making room for the 1/5th...so im not jumping ship!! lol

On another note...what about 1/5th setups? and how long will a set of tires last me? so i need separate tires for qualifying and a set of race tires? also, due to the long run times that the 1/5th needs, is it safe to say that during mains, there will be no pitting for fuel only repairs?? thanks
I was just kidding about the 1/7 scale stuff, I am just a fanatic of the 1/5 scale class, I will never forget the day when I took my 1/8 scale tamiya to the 301 track for the first time, I and saw Carlton with his 1/5 F1 and 1/5 sedan, after looking at those cars, I said that is it, no more nitro crap!!!
I sold my cars on ebay, that was the last time I had a nitro powered car.

The 1/5 scale car can run up to 30 minutes on a full tank, hence, no need for pitting or refuling, so the main races do not require pit stops for fuel.
As far of tires, it depends on what you want to do, but for starters with 1 set of tires you can run both qualy and main event, and those same tires you can use again and again, remember they are ruber so they last much more longer than the foam tires. Now, are you going to be the fastest car out there once you use the tires on one event, probably not cause once you use the tires for the first time, they will start to degrade, but they are still functional. I usually use an older tire for fun laps or just running around the track and whenever their is a race then I use newer tires, just to get that extra performance. Remember, they say that 80 to 90 % of a good setup is using the right tires!!!!!!

Most world class racers, change their tires every time they run, so the questions is, "Am I a world class racer???, am I given those tires for free like them???, NO, so there is no need to change tires that often on 1/5 scale.
I would recommend two options:
1) If you have a lot of money, and found a way to grow money from a tree then, give me some money!!!!!! , and buy 1 set of tires for qualy (softer compound) and 1 set of tires for the main event for every race we do. That will be a lot of money, and for our level is unnecessary.
2) If you are like most of us that like to compete but are not rich, then buy 1 set of tires for qualy and 1 set for main events and use them as many times are you can. I kid you not, you could probably run the entire year on those two sets.

As for setups, the cars are very realistic to full scale cars, so I will suggest to do a lot of reading on how to tune suspension on cars, and the main reason is so that you can understand when we tell to change something and not just doing it because we told you. You need to understand what the car is doing in order to fix or finetune to your like and driving style. So read a lot about understeer, oversteer, Corner entry, Mid corner, Apex, Cornet exit, etc.

None the less, we will help you, I will help you setup you car to a basic point where you can drive it faster, but again what works for me may not work for you, but we'll help get to that point where you can start changing the settings yourself and more importantly why you are changing them.
LRR
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by d OG black flag
Thank you Brain for you response to Allen.

The main concept is that the rules can be interperted in many different ways.....so to put an end to this most of the people who race at 301 including those from out of town voted to not accept this type of engine . I am not sure how it will be handled at the Nationals however, during our point series, the point series is designed to built up the population and support or 1/5 scale r/c racing at 301.

Most of guys are beginners, so Allan I agree with Brain suggestion, you have a legal stock engine, so run it, and please stop addressing what has been answered for you in the past since it was your concern....it is not going to change this year....it is a 301 rule and all engine will be tech by Scott , who you know him very well and he can tell his position as well on this subject...so if you find the resources to come race with us this year please be legal....I got enough headaches..so I am asked that this doesn't get re-addressed again. thanks
I do not own a stock engine, both of my engines were sent to Alro to be modified. When Rob modified them, he milled out my standard G230 covers for the provision to mount the coil externally...

Like I said to Scott, I'm willing to lock the timing at Zero and put a bolt through the timing tab with a lock nut on the back which will effective lock the static timing at zero... Not like timing matters as we don't run in the rain and have a need to retard and the track is not long enough to warrant any advance...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

I do not own a stock engine, both of my engines were sent to Alro to be modified. When Rob modified them, he milled out my standard G230 covers for the provision to mount the coil externally...

Like I said to Scott, I'm willing to lock the timing at Zero and put a bolt through the timing tab with a lock nut on the back which will effective lock the static timing at zero... Not like timing matters as we don't run in the rain and have a need to retard and the track is not long enough to warrant any advance...
Alan, I'm glad we spoke and straightened everything out. We would hate for you to miss out over something so trivial. So, how are you making out with the knuckle on the EVO?

Brian
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vette09
Alan, I'm glad we spoke and straightened everything out. We would hate for you to miss out over something so trivial. So, how are you making out with the knuckle on the EVO?

Brian
I'm gonna buy a new one, but I'm still looking for a machine shop to drill out the threads and heli coil it... Annoys me that it stripped out and is worthless because of it... Worse comes to worse, I'll borrow my neighbors drill press and find the correct size metric heli coils and do it myself and just keep it as a spare...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does this mean that we will be seen you at the track this year????
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to make what I can... I'm still in the middle of starting up a new business so funds are very tight... I haven't even started the FG up since like May, there may still be maryland gas in it, lol...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Alan, will you be running GT also? Frank should be done with the C6-R by the end of the month.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm going to make what I can... I'm still in the middle of starting up a new business so funds are very tight... I haven't even started the FG up since like May, there may still be maryland gas in it, lol...

New business? Anything cool?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
New business? Anything cool?
Jut restarting up my old business but trying to get away from web sites and concentrate strictly on the photography side... Currently looking for a building, if I have the space I may set up my Mini-Z track permanently in it, lol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.