Wiki Posts
Search

spec legend racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default spec legend racing

i'm looking for some tips on setting these cars up. i race at a local hobby shop on a flat ozite carpet track(94'x32').

rules are not that strict
-spec legend car
-spec 4 cell battery packs
-spec motors
-spec tires

other than that you can tweak the car, motor, etc. currently i'm running a 6.6 lap at my fastest. the top 3 guys can pull 5.3 sec laps at there fastest. i'd really like to get my lap times down a little.

my setup right now is
-1 degree camber lf tire, 2 degrees rf tire(did this by placing 1/2 a washer under the bolts for the king pins)
-27 tooth pinion, stock brown spur
- running putnam x brushes in my motor
- have gold bsr spec tires on the rear, with a blue tire on the rf and a green on the lf
-edge of the rf tire has ca glue to prevent roll overs in the corner
- charge my packs at 7 amps with a repeak right before racing. discharge them at 20 amps down to 3.6 volts using a turbo thirty. always store pack dicharged.
- dope my tires right before racing with trinity zip grip. both rears and lf tires only.

would any of you guys care to give out any tips on ways to decrease my lap times?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

You will have to separate the "wheat from the chaff" here; http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136618; but there are some good tips!

There is another "older thread" somewhere in this same forum, that has even more information.

Recently, our favorite asphalt track closed. Moving to a smaller indoor ozite track. Initially our gearing was too high, easy fix! But the biggest problem we face is learning to drive on ozite!

We stay close to the "original Legends Rules" with minor excpetions for parts availablity. The guy who did the winning was driving a "loaner". His driving line was just better than the rest of us by 3 laps. There were time when we equalled his lap times, but just could not do it consistently enough!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Check your diff also; too loose or too tight can slow corner speed. I dope all of both rear tires and the outside edge of left front and inside edge of right front. If you dope both fronts clear across tire, it also slows corner speed. Most speed in a Legend is gained or lost in corners since the straight away speeds of most should be about equal (basic rules). Also finding the right size tire to run with the gearing is mostly a game of chance. Keep trying different tire sizes until you find one that works with the gearing (if you use the spec gearing requirments).
Old 07-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey man i used to run these at a little bigger flat carpet track. the thing i found to help the legends the most is to loosen the braces (the ones that tie the chassis plates togather) and let the car flex a little. And if they allow you to run stick on weight put some on the left rear, because by loosening the braces it might want to pick up the LR and dogleg, witch automatically spins the diff.

One other thing try just a tad bit of destagger (left rear bigger than right rear).

If you are running the spec gear. The bigger the tires will give you more top end speed. The smaller the tires will give you more acceleration off the corner

Hope this helps. I love these cars they can be a handfull but very durable too!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Wallnut

Good point on the chassis loose enough to flex but not flop around. If they are tight the chassis can tweak itself and then stick in that tweaked position. All weight on the left. I run mini servo either on front bumper or below the batt tray.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

thx guys. ran a little bit of stagger this weekend, added a small piece of wheel weight to the lf axle plate, and added a little more camber up front. car ran great all night. need to work on my motor now, i reckon. any tips?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

If you are running Trinity Spec motor, cut the com way down. Use full head serrated brushes (if legal) and break in for 10 minutes at 1 amp with fan on motor shaft.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
If you are running Trinity Spec motor, cut the com way down. Use full head serrated brushes (if legal) and break in for 10 minutes at 1 amp with fan on motor shaft.
running the putnams i'm topping out at 16k rpm on a aps dyno running 4.8v. will try serrating the brushes. thx