Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

hey Raydee, Jiml was truthful about the WRAM Show in Westchester,NY.A vendor at this annual trade show, i'm recallin' the name MIDHUDSON Hobbies(they should have their web site runnin')had converted trucks particularly.The formerly nitro-powered vehicles on display,brought-to-light, a project car which appeared almost complete-an 1/8th on-road for sure.Most display'd lipo's&brushless power plants[For what it's worth,the exhibition part of that show had a 1/5 scale turbine powered' on-road car on display]
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation The time has come . . .

I know this is a pretty dead thread but would like to share my 1/8th brushless on-road conversion. After running my HPI Superten RS4 for a couple years I believe the time has come to take it to the next level.

I have recently converted a Losi 8ight buggy to brushless and was amazed by its capability. I immediately thought I would do a road car next. So, here is my plan . . .
  • [*]
  • [*]

If anyone is interested I will post here. Cheers!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hi,

I am most certainly interested.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr
I know this is a pretty dead thread but would like to share my 1/8th brushless on-road conversion. After running my HPI Superten RS4 for a couple years I believe the time has come to take it to the next level.

I have recently converted a Losi 8ight buggy to brushless and was amazed by its capability. I immediately thought I would do a road car next. So, here is my plan . . .
  • [*]
  • [*]

If anyone is interested I will post here. Cheers!
Here is a good thread on another forum. The thread is 12 pages long and provides some very good info on a nearly idenitcal project and some good pics:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8236

Hope that helps!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

http://speedpassion.net/product.php?lang=&c=34
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cla5675
Here is a good thread on another forum. The thread is 12 pages long and provides some very good info on a nearly idenitcal project and some good pics:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8236

Hope that helps!!
Yeah, I do post in that thread but appears that RCTech sees a little more traffic--I could be wrong! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Do you guys remember the Schumacher Big 6? I think it was "ahead of its time"...if it were re-released now, with more body styles than the Lotus (although I like it) I think they would be a great "new" class, especially with brushless and lipo.

Paul
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Anyone remember the Trinity T-Spec?

Well anyways that was a shaft car utilizes V One R suspension and bulkheads. The V One R was just a junior version of the Fantom 2000 & 2001 1/8th 4wd onroader. So if one were to adapt Fantom 2000 parts onto a T-spec, stretch the chassis and build a longer drive shaft, you would have a shaft drive 1/8 4wd onroader.

I have a T-Spec right now with Novak 5.5 thats quite fast just for in front of the house. The suspension components are almost bullet proof. The V One had the reputation for being very durable. By checking on Novak's site on gearing and motor rpm, using a 3.5 would get me towards 60 - 70mph range. However thats just calc'd, actual speeds may be lower due to weight and aerodynamics.

Anyways, if the shaft design doesn't suit you (torque steer) then I would consider picking up and old 950 or 950R and fab a new motor plate and gear adaptor. The battery could be mounted where the fuel tank sits and with laydown servo steering hanging off the right side, there should be no problem placing the battery straight down the middle. The speedo could hang off the left side where the pipe use to be to balance out the steering. Of course a new radio plate would need to be fabbed.

So with those suggestions, lets see who's first posting pics of their T-Spec or 950 conversions. Gentlemen start your Dremels!!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

8th scale on-road brushless videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N176o-JueE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrstpIz7Y4

Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
I have seen this car and the YouTube videos of the earlier conversion. This platform is too expensive for a parking lot basher. I am sure that it is very competitive car but figured a GTP series car would be my speed. Asides, I would roast the foam tires right off that beast with a BL system .
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Take a look a this...
http://www.redrc.net/2008/09/dxf-str...atron-chassis/
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Der Dicke
I would love to take that chassis to 301 Raceway. The things they would say!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr
I have seen this car and the YouTube videos of the earlier conversion. This platform is too expensive for a parking lot basher. I am sure that it is very competitive car but figured a GTP series car would be my speed. Asides, I would roast the foam tires right off that beast with a BL system .
Depends on how you look at this true 1/8th on road 4WD chassis...each year, there are plenty of ppl selling their last year chassis for around $250-350 with options and parts...pick one 1 of those and add the SPEED PASSION conversion unit and you are GOLD.

No matter how you look at, you still need the conversion kit, motor, speedo and lipo.....off road conversion CANNOT be use on on road (rpm vs torque) but if you are OK to buy a used one, you can even get a used Serpent 950R or Mugen MRX3 or 4 for less then $250 on here or ebay...I can tell you this, those used 1/8th, most of them are in good racing condition and are not beat up POS....

I cannot garantee anything...but I am seeing this 1/8th on road will be a CLASS coming along. It will NOT replace the nitro class, but definitely will draw some nitro racer into this.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

My only concern would be switching out batteries for a main with gas cars. Although they (gas) would stop every 5 to 7 minutes maximum the brushless goes for 15 to 20. Think the gas guys would get their laps back on a big track while switching a Lipo pack?

Another place that does/has conversions is http://www.finedesignrc.com/. I knew about this guy for about 2 to 3 years now.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Isaac
My only concern would be switching out batteries for a main with gas cars. Although they (gas) would stop every 5 to 7 minutes maximum the brushless goes for 15 to 20. Think the gas guys would get their laps back on a big track while switching a Lipo pack?

Another place that does/has conversions is http://www.finedesignrc.com/. I knew about this guy for about 2 to 3 years now.
My home track, Leisure Hours Raceway, race BL conversion/nitro 1/8th off road buggy mix race......all the BL cars are REQUIRED to do a "set time" pit stop just like the nitro cars...there is a pit marshall to enforce that. But I think their race are no more then 15 minutes.

I really don't see there will be on road BL/Nitro mix race any time soon....according from Speed Passion..2400 entry level 4 cells will run between 8-10 minutes (hard run)...4600 will do the extra 8 mins the most. To do a full 30-60 minutes race required at least 2-3 batteries change. Of course, there must be "ways" coming up for some quick battery change options on the chassis....but I am more concern about WHOS setting the rule on that.

It is still too early to talk about this BL/Nitro mix race...way too early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.