Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Convert a 1/10 Touring to a mini 1/8 PRO car - is it a good idea? >

Convert a 1/10 Touring to a mini 1/8 PRO car - is it a good idea?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Oliveirax
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS
  • 2 Post By Oliveirax
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Convert a 1/10 Touring to a mini 1/8 PRO car - is it a good idea?

Old 01-12-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Convert a 1/10 Touring to a mini 1/8 PRO car - is it a good idea?

Hello All,

I just got a 1/8th nitro onroad PRO car.. By Pro car I mean a Mugen MRX with front one-way, rear spool, two-speed, Lola body and huge foam tyres. The handling and driving style is quite different (to say the least) from my other on-road cars (I also have a 1/10th touring car and a 1/8th GT car).
I was looking to have some more wheel time with a car with such handling. Since I can only practice with the nitro one on some weekends, and I can run electrics almost everyday, at lunch time, I was wondering If It would be a good idea to convert a 1/10th touring car into something with the same characteristics. By that I mean installing a front one-way, a rear spool, 1/10th nitro foam tyres, and some Lola type body. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it is a good idea? Or it will surely suck and I will be wasting my time and money?

Thanks in advance.
RaptorToto likes this.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Already did this, wouldn't recommend this fully. Front one way and rear spool on a 1/10 car will just result in powersliding and spinning out everywhere. Maybe try just the front one way if you are feeling brave.

Although the nitro foam tyres and Lola body is really good for handling and grip. So go for that part.
Oliveirax likes this.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Already did this, wouldn't recommend this fully. Front one way and rear spool on a 1/10 car will just result in powersliding and spinning out everywhere. Maybe try just the front one way if you are feeling brave.

Although the nitro foam tyres and Lola body is really good for handling and grip. So go for that part.
Front One-Way it is then. Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Tech Rookie

P
Old 05-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

look at the old school 1/10 235mm pan cars, Serpent Impact is one example.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Just a progress update.
The "conversion" worked wonders. I went with a front one-way, and a rear 5k diff. The performance is not short of awesome! The lola body offers a HUGE downforce improvement, which results in massive amounts of grip.
The front one-way offers unbelievable turn-in power, as in, you no longer have to brake a lot before a turn, in fact, there are turns I no longer have to brake at all! Because of this, the lack of front brake is not a problem. Speaking of which, I reduced the brake power quite a lot, because the car will spin on braking quite easily. In hairpin turns, you can brake a little harder, and whip the tail of the model near the apex (a late apex), get it aligned with the exit line, and then hammer down the throttle and exit like a bullet! It is just plain awesome.
The model is running offset rims, to fill the 200mm body, and "china" tyres, as I cannot find racing tyres in an offset rim (or even unglued). But that is not really a problem, as these tyres, with this much downforce, offer the same level of grip.
I had to fashion a new bumper, and shave a few mm off the front shock tower in order to properly fit the lola body, but that is basically all I had to do.

Sir 51D3WAYS and mr.rev like this.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:26 AM
Tech Champion

^Congrats. I did similar with a Tamiya TB Evo.6.

The lola body for 10th scale I can recommend the one from ARC. Should fit perfectly with no need to trim the shock tower. It has space for it.

I can also suggest the foam tyres from 10th nitro. These are already fairly wide/ have a decent offset going on. If necessary get a wider arm holder/toeblocks.
Oliveirax likes this.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Would you mind uploading some videos? This looks like a lot of fun