[WIP] 12S MAX4 powered FG Sportsline 530 4WD

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By I_NeedBigDrink

[WIP] 12S MAX4 powered FG Sportsline 530 4WD

Old 11-02-2022, 10:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default [WIP] 12S MAX4 powered FG Sportsline 530 4WD

Hello! This will be my work in progress thread for my new project - a monster of an FG Sportsline 530 4WD. Iíve long since wanted to build a 1/5th scale car but being a student made it impossible to justify the budget. In the past year Iíve graduated and started my engineering career so I finally have the disposable income to fund such a beast, and here we are.

So far I started by purchasing the roller with some starter electronics, but I had no intentions of leaving this stock and wanted to have a unique build, so I planned on replacing them with the MAX4 combo paired with some 12S batteries. I bought a custom motor mount from WFO RC and used some paper cutouts to make sure that the motor would fit. Hereís the roller with a clear Porsche 962C body and a paper towel roll for scale:

Before I bought the MAX4 I decided to get all the possible spare parts I would likely need as well as some upgrades I felt were necessary. The upgrades included:
  • Front universal joint + ball drive half shafts for better steering angle and performance
  • Aluminum differential housings
  • Mechanical brakes
  • foam bumper block
  • locking wheel nuts
  • SAGA hardened pinion/spur gears (38T:38T)

I installed what I could for the time being, packed the diffs with silicone earplugs, and had someone from work machine the layshaft down to 8mm diameter to fit the SAGA spur gear.

Today the motor and ESC came in and thankfully the motor fits with a few millimeters to spare. Iím currently researching the best batteries for the job (6S pair and at least 8-10 Ah capacity) as well as a steering servo, braking servo, receiver, receiver battery, and paint supplies. When I have my batteries in hand I will cut a large black acrylic sheet to mount all the electronics in the most efficient, safe, and low C.G. position possible, using spare battery strap mounts as standoffs. Stay tuned while I complete this build, canít wait to share the finished car!

elk and smirkracing like this.

Last edited by I_NeedBigDrink; 11-03-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Big update

Back again with an update: ITS ALIVEEE!
I bought two Promodeler servos, two SMC 6S batteries, a set of slicks, and other small things. I installed everything and made custom electronics mounting plates which are stacked in a waterfall fashion to keep the heaviest items close to the ground and the center of the vehicle.

It is a monster on the road and smokes tires with ease. I definitely need to program the ESC and tx for a more friendly driving experience, but I am very happy with the power and torque this car puts down. I ran it for a few days without a body as I waited for some supplies to come in, and unfortunately bit off more than I could chew.

At the end of a run I hit a patched up area of asphalt that had a ridge about 2 inches high. The car bounced over it and landed upside down and backwards. I destroyed the front shock tower, rear body mounts, and a couple shocks. Couldíve been worse and I learned my lesson about driving without a body. Thankfully itís an easy fix and nothing important was damaged. Waiting on the replacement parts now and the body will be ready by the time they arrive. Will post when that is all said and done, hopefully with a video too. Enjoy the pictures!!