Like Tree1Likes

Uh Oh...

Old 01-07-2021, 01:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lone Racer View Post
Razor blade. Just try not to get any inside the crankcase.
Thank you for the help!
Old 01-07-2021, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Why are you cleaning the piston? The carbon buildup builds compression and will create more power. I only am changing heads and pistons when compression is slipping. I run limited class oval with a restrictor and stock exhaust.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Why are you cleaning the piston? The carbon buildup builds compression and will create more power. I only am changing heads and pistons when compression is slipping. I run limited class oval with a restrictor and stock exhaust.
I thought it was better to have a cleaner piston, I am also going to a thinner head gasket so I thought it might be a good idea to clean it off
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

1.Just make sure the black stuff on the piston isn't an actual hole/divot, that would indicate that the piston is about to let go pretty soon.
2. 500 grit is a little too coarse for most RC purposes, unless if the buildup is really heavy. I would switch to 1000 as soon as I got the worst of it off. Next time try at least a 1000, doesn't matter if you clog up a few sheets, sandpaper is dirt cheap anyway, plus the scratches that you leave will be super fine and almost invisible to the naked eye.
3. You should use a plastic scraper to scrape off the remnants of the gasket, using sealant/gasket removal chemical if necessary. This chemical is usually nasty stuff, so wear PPE as appropriate. A metal blade/scraper will scratch the head, creating grooves that would allow fluids to leak past the gasket.
4. Carbon buildup on a piston is generally bad news, even if it raises compression ratio. The carbon will (usually) build up unevenly, causing random hotspots around the piston/combustion chamber, which in turn causes pre-ignition and subsequent detonation, which will put a hole in your piston.... This is not the same as your usual blackening/browning of your piston associated with normal use....
Old 01-07-2021, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
1.Just make sure the black stuff on the piston isn't an actual hole/divot, that would indicate that the piston is about to let go pretty soon.
2. 500 grit is a little too coarse for most RC purposes, unless if the buildup is really heavy. I would switch to 1000 as soon as I got the worst of it off. Next time try at least a 1000, doesn't matter if you clog up a few sheets, sandpaper is dirt cheap anyway, plus the scratches that you leave will be super fine and almost invisible to the naked eye.
3. You should use a plastic scraper to scrape off the remnants of the gasket, using sealant/gasket removal chemical if necessary. This chemical is usually nasty stuff, so wear PPE as appropriate. A metal blade/scraper will scratch the head, creating grooves that would allow fluids to leak past the gasket.
4. Carbon buildup on a piston is generally bad news, even if it raises compression ratio. The carbon will (usually) build up unevenly, causing random hotspots around the piston/combustion chamber, which in turn causes pre-ignition and subsequent detonation, which will put a hole in your piston.... This is not the same as your usual blackening/browning of your piston associated with normal use....
hello, I will use 1000 grit next time, thank you for the advice, I can use chemicals to get the gasket off right? I have some stuff at home called goof off, you use it to take off the residue of labels when you remove them.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

^yup. Just make sure it's clean and dry before applying the new gasket.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
^yup. Just make sure it's clean and dry before applying the new gasket.
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2021, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by the rc guy; 01-12-2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Why should he replace the piston? What wears is the cylinder walls not the piston and the new ring will give him more compression so that will be barely noticed. Keep doing what your doing bud. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Why should he replace the piston? What wears is the cylinder walls not the piston and the new ring will give him more compression so that will be barely noticed. Keep doing what your doing bud. It's not rocket science.
my new piston ring is coming today, just for curiosity, how do you inspect if the cylinder has worn too much?
Old 01-07-2021, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by the rc guy; 01-12-2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Daksh View Post
my new piston ring is coming today, just for curiosity, how do you inspect if the cylinder has worn too much?
Experience will tell you. After a few re rings you'll notice it's easier to yank on the pull start. That's when the cylinder is worn and lost most of it's performance. They still run just less compression which equals less power.

And I don't see any holes, just 2 carbon spots.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Experience will tell you. After a few re rings you'll notice it's easier to yank on the pull start. That's when the cylinder is worn and lost most of it's performance. They still run just less compression which equals less power.

And I don't see any holes, just 2 carbon spots.
I see, thank you, and yes those are just carbon spots, i buffed them out with metal polish and a micro fiber towel
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

How'd everything work out, you get your rig running?
Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

How'd everything work out, you get your rig running?
yup, doing break in right now, everything working perfectly, thank you for the help!
Lone Racer likes this.