Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Krogers

Legends batteries

Old 02-21-2020, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Legends batteries

Alright guys, so I picked up some legends for my son to race with me and was wondering what batteries everyone was running that were accepted at snowbirds and other big events? Are people running 1s now with mAh limits or still the 2000mah stick packs?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
Alright guys, so I picked up some legends for my son to race with me and was wondering what batteries everyone was running that were accepted at snowbirds and other big events? Are people running 1s now with mAh limits or still the 2000mah stick packs?
Had this exact same question
Old 02-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I had that same question back when I got into RC cars after seeing the Legends classes run at two different tracks in the area.

When I asked the hobby shops at both places I got the same answer. Neither of them ran the Legends rules. They said the rules for the power trains were too hard to deal with and didn't allow for using the stuff their drivers used in other classes. What I found was all the Legends class drivers had batteries from their other car classes. Nobody was running any one cell batteries. The majority were running 17.5 motors. With ESCs to match. There were some 13.5s and such. I've yet to see any car that had the Legend's rule motors or batteries.

Both places had healthy Legends races. The turnouts were almost always bigger than the 17.5 breakout truck classes which almost always had the 2nd largest starting grids. The Legends almost always had multiple qualifying mains. I say "had" because one of the tracks recently lost their lease. It had decent turnouts, it just so happened the property owner got an excellent offer for the property.

Both places had the largest turnouts in the breakout classes because they ran them with tech inspections. Other than Minimum clearance that is. Oh yeah, and the Legends had to have an original chassis. That was it. The breakout time does enough "tech inspection" according to those track owners.

I've got a 2S 4000 brick in my Legend. Same in my breakout truck.
Look around the pit tables and ask the guys at your track what they're running. There's always someone around who'll be glad to talk.

Hopscotch likes this.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to get a insight on what is used for big races like snowbirds so I have the stuff on hand, seems like these days it depends on the track. Everyone has their own rules ranging from 2000mah max nimh to 2s to 1s.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
Thanks for the info, I just wanted to get a insight on what is used for big races like snowbirds so I have the stuff on hand, seems like these days it depends on the track. Everyone has their own rules ranging from 2000mah max nimh to 2s to 1s.
I should have mentioned right up front that the Snowbird website posts rules for all the classes. The ones they post for Legends takes you to the original rules for Legends from 2018.

I just did a google to get to their page that lists all the classes and it has a link https://www.snowbirdnationals.com/2020classes.htm
Look on the right side of the page. Look for a small "RJ Speed Rules" link. That link takes you to the 2018 rules.

Unless I was only going to run Legends at tracks took a lot of time and effort to do a rigid inspection of all cars, every race, I really wouldn't build a Legend for those rules. You're stuck with a lot of details that cause a lot of extra effort. I didn't know any better when I first started assembling my first car. Using turnbuckles and ball joints for the steering is way easier and maintainable than the original wire and lock collars. The original rear metal axle bent a couple of times so the last replacement was with a CF and it hasn't yet. so.... just saying.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've run Legends since they were introduced following the Legends set-up. here in Fla we went to two seperate sets of rules but the present 2018 rules won. I've asked Rick Jordan about a new 2 cell GForce battery that looks like a six cell but is a lipo. Using the new cheap motors they have always used. Waiting for an answer. But I would run the present rules in the kits and listed on the RJSpeed site- they work!!!!! Snowbirds has always followed the same rules that comes in each kit. Presently the six cell 2000's are really fast. The class was created to keep things simple and fun . If you want to try the CRC rubber tires and your running on carpet that would save you money in the long run ( No truing the tires). Tried to get that as a class at the birds this past year . We did have it as a class at the Minregg Turkey race and they ran fine.