Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Rovan 36cc or Zenoah 32cc???????? >

Rovan 36cc or Zenoah 32cc????????

Like Tree6Likes

Rovan 36cc or Zenoah 32cc????????

Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default Rovan 36cc or Zenoah 32cc????????

Just destroyed the engine in my 1/5 Rovan buggy. It was basically my fault when it comes right down to it. Dirt got past the stock air filter. Car was brand new. I know I should have checked it before running, but it is what it is. Technically it should have been sealed properly from the factory considering it's an RTR, but I'm past that point.

One way or the other, I need a replacement engine. Looking for people with some experience with these larger scale engines. Should I just buy another Rovan 36cc engine or would I be better off with the Zenoah g320rc engine? The stock 36cc ran fine until the filter incident. And it is also considerably cheaper than the Zenoah. I guess my real question is, is the Zenoah worth the extra money even though it is a smaller displacement engine?
Old 09-20-2019, 12:21 AM
Tech Initiate

I had a 4 bolt G290RC in my MCD RR5 FT. Power was more than enough. 32cc zenoah would be amazing. You could always mod the head to get a little extra performance. Rovan stuff is just garbage...
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Rovan = "Runs fine"
Zen 32 = "Wow, this is awesome for a stock engine"

You know the saying - You get what you pay for.
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
Rovan = "Runs fine"
Zen 32 = "Wow, this is awesome for a stock engine"

You know the saying - You get what you pay for.

So, is it safe to say that the Zenoah is a faster/stronger running engine stock versus stock even though it's 4cc smaller displacement?

Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 PM

I have never ran anything Rovan but have had a stock Zen 32 in a 5ive-t and it was plenty of engine.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Get the Zen G320, way better quality than the Rovan junk and it will have more raw power

Last edited by gavsta72; 09-22-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:47 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Zenoah all the way!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the input! Just ordered a new Zenoah g320rc.
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
Thanks for all the input! Just ordered a new Zenoah g320rc.
Just seen this. DDM Deal of the Day. Plus use code DDM for an additional 5% off. Zenoah G320RC 31.8cc 4-Bolt Engine - Complete with Clutch
Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

To be real honest... i had one Rovan 39cc?? motor that only lastest 2 tanks... i was second hand and was selled after it broke, but i am an engine rookie and newbie!

Now i am brushless i never looked back...

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

I run air filter covers on my g320rc motors.

It might not be worst idea to tear down old motor and see exactly what failed. They are easy to work on, and tearing down bad motor is probably good learning experience. (If you think you might be into modifying them at some point)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
Just seen this. DDM Deal of the Day. Plus use code DDM for an additional 5% off. Zenoah G320RC 31.8cc 4-Bolt Engine - Complete with Clutch

Where were you before I ordered my motor????? Lol

That's definitely a good deal. I paid about the same for the one I bought. Came with clutch, but no air filter or muffler. No big deal though. Plan on running a performance filter and already have a tuned silenced pipe for it.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I run air filter covers on my g320rc motors.

It might not be worst idea to tear down old motor and see exactly what failed. They are easy to work on, and tearing down bad motor is probably good learning experience. (If you think you might be into modifying them at some point)
I pulled the stock motor apart already. Had a little bit of light scoring on the intake side of the bore. I pulled the motor all the way apart. Split the cases and everything. Did a complete cleanup and reassembled with all new gaskets. Used Hondabond on the new gaskets also.

Once I got it all back together, I bolted it up in the buggy and tried to start it. Compression still feels great, but there is a nasty air leak somewhere. At this point, I'm assuming it's something in the carb. Just tired of messing with it at this point.

I'm not really new to 2-stroke engines. I grew up racing motocross and have rebuilt, tuned, and modded my share of 125 engines. There's just something wrong with this particular engine and I decided to throw in the towel after a $10 gasket kit and several hours of my time. Considering I could have bought a complete new Rovan 36cc engine for around 175 shipped, I figured at this point my time is more valuable than further troubleshooting a cheap Chinese engine.

But I agree with you 100%. Tearing down and messing with a blown engine is definitely good learning experience. Especially if it runs again once you're done. Lol
Dave_S likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

So, the Zenoah showed up the other day. Got it all assembled and installed. All I know at this point is, this thing is an entirely different animal than the Rovan 36cc! I set it up on the stand last night and started it up to begin the break-in process. As soon as it fired off, I could tell it was a way better running engine. I eventually set it on the ground and did a few passes up and down the driveway at 1/4 throttle. Even with the rich fuel mixture and light pulls on the throttle, it just sounds and runs way better.

One thing I noticed that I can't explain is that the Rovan motor never had any visible smoke from the exhaust. Even with the rich break-in fuel mixture. The Zenoah, on the other hand, has a steady stream of light smoke coming from it.

Can't wait to get this thing broken-in and see what it can do! But before that happens, I need to invest in a better air filter so I don't end up with the same problem as the stock engine. Any suggestions on a good filter? I also plan to run an outerwear cover over top of whatever filter I end up with.

Thanks again for all the input. I have a good feeling about this engine!
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
So, the Zenoah showed up the other day. Got it all assembled and installed. All I know at this point is, this thing is an entirely different animal than the Rovan 36cc! I set it up on the stand last night and started it up to begin the break-in process. As soon as it fired off, I could tell it was a way better running engine. I eventually set it on the ground and did a few passes up and down the driveway at 1/4 throttle. Even with the rich fuel mixture and light pulls on the throttle, it just sounds and runs way better.

One thing I noticed that I can't explain is that the Rovan motor never had any visible smoke from the exhaust. Even with the rich break-in fuel mixture. The Zenoah, on the other hand, has a steady stream of light smoke coming from it.

Can't wait to get this thing broken-in and see what it can do! But before that happens, I need to invest in a better air filter so I don't end up with the same problem as the stock engine. Any suggestions on a good filter? I also plan to run an outerwear cover over top of whatever filter I end up with.

Thanks again for all the input. I have a good feeling about this engine!
Is this a buggy as in a 5B? If so, I run the following.

TGN Easy Clearance Air Filter for HPI Baja 5b/5T
TGN Easy Clearance Thin Layer Redneck Filter for HPI Baja 5b/5T
Outerwears Airfilter Pre-Filter

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service