Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
New Hobbywing 1/5 1/6 Motors >

New Hobbywing 1/5 1/6 Motors

Like Tree7Likes

New Hobbywing 1/5 1/6 Motors

Old 02-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave_S
It sounds like they just gave max wattage ratings for the max 5 esc and not the motors.
I don't think the person from Hobbywing that replied to my message knows anything lol. Max5 max amps 200? lol that's 200 continuous

Dave_S likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by maxxximatoze
Here is a youtube video from a guy that have the hobbywing max5/56113 combo in its dbxl-e. It seems that the new hobbywing motor is going strong with low temp. check it out, search for 5IhKwKxoQlQ on youtube
If you want high powered brushless then check out Raphael's goodies on his ebay store, R-Mamba-Brushless. The link below is for ebay Australia, but he's on ebay worldwide so will be in your country.

He's got all the good high powered 1/5 stuff - Flier 12S ESC's, crazy powerful TP motors, and Leopard motors. No Castle Creations garbage
For an easy plug 'n play system grab a Leopard BL5 (re-branded Max5) and a Leopard motor. Super quick worldwide delivery and best prices

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/r-mambab...p2047675.l2559
Old 03-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gavsta72
It's long gone, I sent it back straight away. Don't want to know about it. I'll stick with with the trusty old Leopard motors.
I don't understand why you want to keep comparing things with Castle. Castle is crap, it's as simple as that

Max5 and Leopard, you can't go wrong mate

As for the build quality though, you can't see the whole bearing anyway on any motor. The shaft had a bit of resistance when turning but not as much as a 2028, but that's a good thing, more slots equals smoother operation. That's why Castle motors stutter at low throttle. The can was very good quality though, very nice machining and the black anodizing looked very nice, sort of like a metallic black/satin, very nice.

Now that I've seen that youtube video I'm going to phone the hobby shop and get them to send the motor straight back when they get it. I'll keep it for another project down the track. It's got the power that's for sure, a DBXLe running a 16T pinion and still spinning the wheels at full throttle is awesome, that's in the same ball park as the Leopard 58110 I had in my old DBXLe. Low temps too. Great stuff
I ask for comparison to castle motor because I know these motors well and I think a lot of people do also, so to have an idea of what this new motor is made of, you need to compare to something that you already know.

PS: I don't think that castle hardware is as crappy as you can said, particularly thier motors. I think that you must had a very bad experience with their product to say that.. Personnaly I don't

Last edited by maxxximatoze; 03-01-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like all my older castle motors, but I've never had 2028. My last motor from them was 2200kv maybe 4 years ago.

My old cm36 5700kv 2 pole was the business.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default No sensor port for Max5

You bought the max5/motor combo with the product number HW38010600 to get the max5 with the temp sensor port ?
Hi I don’t think that is available right now, the Hobbywing 56113 motor come with a temp port but none for the max5, So at this point that temp port for the motor is useless
Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gavsta72
I bit the bullet and bought the new Max5 and 56113 800kv combo today. It's the new Max5 with the temp sensor

I bought it for my new Xmaxx roller I bought on ebay because it's light(ish) but I'll put the motor to the test in my 5iveB brushless conversion. I'll soon know if it is only 5800w as it will overheat for sure

Fingers crossed it doesn't break a sweat, but I'll post back with my findings
So did your max5 have a temp sensor port, I don’t think it does at this point
Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Does someone know if a new hardware version of the MAX5 with the temp sensor port is available (I think not but who knows) ? Since the castle XLX and 2028 combo is not available for months now, it is the only one setup at great quality/price ratio available, but the temp port is missing...
Old 09-28-2019, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Does someone know if a new hardware version of the MAX5 with the temp sensor port is available (I think not but who knows) ? Since the castle XLX and 2028 combo is not available for months now, it is the only one setup at great quality/price ratio available, but the temp port is missing...
The temp port is no biggie either, just use a temp gun
Old 01-08-2020, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I just don't like to stop the car to manually check temp (who said that i'm lazy ? )... With the temp port the future version, if released someday, would be able to cut power when the programmed temp is reached. So you can hammer it without worries about.

Somone knows if this new max5 version is available ?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Hi,

I just don't like to stop the car to manually check temp (who said that i'm lazy ? )... With the temp port the future version, if released someday, would be able to cut power when the programmed temp is reached. So you can hammer it without worries about.

Somone knows if this new max5 version is available ?
I haven't heard or seen anything. I just bought a Max5 combo and i was looking around for the best price, i was asking questions, but either no one knew, or it was still the old version.
Probably best to contact Hobbywing.

As for motor temps, once you've got the gearing right, it's pretty much set and forget. I still check the temps after each battery change, or after a run though, but there's no need to check all the time during a run.
If it gets too hot once it won't hurt it. You're sounding paranoid dude
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to check temps just use a telemetry radio. My Futaba system can read motor temp if I install a sensor on the can of the motor to read the temps. The motor temp cutoff function would be nice to have but Hobbywing hasn't said when the esc will get an update to connect to the motor sensor port so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that to be available unless you don't plan on running the RC for months anyways.