Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
1/8 onroad nitro GP for beginners >

1/8 onroad nitro GP for beginners

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof

1/8 onroad nitro GP for beginners

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 onroad nitro GP for beginners

Hi all,

Im from Malaysia , looking fwd to own a 1/8 GP car. I would like some input for beginners which brand should i get . and whats the different between the brands below:

-Shepherd world series
-Infinity
-Viper 988

which car is easy to maintain and tune. I heard rumors saying this cars are very fragile and breaks apart if crash , which i might need to buy a new car . not sure if its a myth or the truth, kindly advise.

I have played off road buggy for few times not sure if this will help my skills for onroad.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you new to 1/8th, new to on-road or new to RC cars?

1/8th gas has a very steep learning curve and yes, the cars have the power and speed to get damaged 'if the driver crashes them'.
They are not at all fragile but are also not indestructible.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:50 AM
Tech Champion

You should get the brand which is the most easiest supported by your LHS. All cars are bassically the same in building and setup.
Also be wise and do not spend top money to a top level engine, you will not use it, safe some money and get some more tires.

If you have experience driving a track then yes, that will make a better start, if you have no track experience and going to drive on a track then what you currently know will make you a starter....
ralphierace13 likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Set
Tech Adept

For malaysia the parts support will definitely go to serpent, but good luck getting the 988, the first shipment sold out rather quickly.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1 for Serpent and the Viper 988. Best quality kit I have ever built and the car is awesome right out of the box. Get the 988, you will not regret it.

As you learn the car of course you will have accidents with it however it is highly unlikely that you would completely destroy the car if you take it steady. The 988 is the most durable of all the 1/8 cars now and you’ll be hard pushed to break more than an arm or a hub which are cheap and easy to replace.