Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
2017 OS Speed R2103 3.5cc Nitro On Road Engine >

2017 OS Speed R2103 3.5cc Nitro On Road Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

2017 OS Speed R2103 3.5cc Nitro On Road Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
I had 15 os motors since the black heads ones came out and never not one ever lost a drop of compression!!! one motor had 18 gallons and the lap times were identical from gallon 1 to 18 and only used 4 rods it was insane!!
Ok chief.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Ok chief.
my only problem with os is the way they designed the carbs, the shaft piece that goes down into the motor then u tighten the screw well its not a one piece its a sleeve over the shaft and it gets loose. once that happens u either need a new carb or use some jb weld..
Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Roelof
So as I say... commercial bulsh*t.

But I do find it a positive thing that a manufacturer dares to say the steel bearing is the right one, ceramics are so over rated. And what is a new designed crakshaft? If you put it next to one of a 2102 it will probably look the same. But the extra low/mid torque says there is something done with the timings
Hi Roelof,

Received the first batch of original OS R2103 and indeed a different sleeve and different crankshaft.
The changes are small but I think effective.

1) The crankshaft has a different timing(less open), this probably done to gain torque and fuelconsumption. A little extra work has been made behind the crankshaft counterweight(like I normally also do on my engines).

2) The liner has a slightly different shape on the exhaust. The central upper section is a little wider but the total exhaust area is the same as is the timing. Intake 7 ports.

I have some available Here for who is interested.

I have decided not to update immediately our VSR02 engine but first test this solution and have some specific engines ready for the Worlds.

Rody
desotoracing and Cant drive like this.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by VS_Rody
Hi Roelof,

Received the first batch of original OS R2103 and indeed a different sleeve and different crankshaft.
The changes are small but I think effective.

1) The crankshaft has a different timing(less open), this probably done to gain torque and fuelconsumption. A little extra work has been made behind the crankshaft counterweight(like I normally also do on my engines).

2) The liner has a slightly different shape on the exhaust. The central upper section is a little wider but the total exhaust area is the same as is the timing. Intake 7 ports.

I have some available Here for who is interested.

I have decided not to update immediately our VSR02 engine but first test this solution and have some specific engines ready for the Worlds.

Rody
Hi rody

I have 2 of your VSR02's and will be breaking them in soon. Will you say that yours will produce similar kind of torque to these new 2103's looking at the new crank angles?

Thx

DIXON
Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BD1541
Hi rody

I have 2 of your VSR02's and will be breaking them in soon. Will you say that yours will produce similar kind of torque to these new 2103's looking at the new crank angles?

Thx

DIXON
Hi Dixon,

For the VSR02 engines the torque will be the same, maybe in a little higher rpm area but with a good clutch you will not notice any difference.

The change in crank angles can make a little difference but only when you play on the highest competition level where not only the engine will make a difference but also the car setup and driving.

Rody
Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Dixon,

For the VSR02 engines the torque will be the same, maybe in a little higher rpm area but with a good clutch you will not notice any difference.

The change in crank angles can make a little difference but only when you play on the highest competition level where not only the engine will make a difference but also the car setup and driving.

Rody
your opinion about steel rear bearing=more torque?
this seems weird to me.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
your opinion about steel rear bearing=more torque?
this seems weird to me.
The more you have weight to rotate to more torque you create, however this also means slower acceleration. A fine balance is always needed.

The steel bearings are more heavy to accelerate compared to the ceramic bearings and so there is some torque difference in favor for the steel bearing. However a little less acceleration.

Be aware that we are speaking about very little differences but always a large discussion about this.
My personal thought is that it is cheaper to change a steel main-bearing compared to a ceramic bearing and the overall performances of a steel bearing are as good as a ceramic one.
Who likes this.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The more you have weight to rotate to more torque you create, however this also means slower acceleration. A fine balance is always needed.

The steel bearings are more heavy to accelerate compared to the ceramic bearings and so there is some torque difference in favor for the steel bearing. However a little less acceleration.

Be aware that we are speaking about very little differences but always a large discussion about this.
My personal thought is that it is cheaper to change a steel main-bearing compared to a ceramic bearing and the overall performances of a steel bearing are as good as a ceramic one.

thank you..
VS_Rody likes this.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Thanx Rody, nice to hear.

I know that a lot can be done to make the flow better but a compromise is done in the limits of the machines and the total machine time working on 1 part. New machines or just new tools can make a difference in the posibillities of the end result but also some design changes which were overlooked or found during the 2102 era can easilly adapted in a new named engine. Can you tell me if materials have changed? A better fit of the piston in the sleeve with a wider temperature window does give a better performance which does not need a larger timing.

To me an extra cut or a re-shape is not a real re-design but more like an evolution although I stronger believe the changes are needed to add something new as a selling gimmick.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

The R2103 continue 7ports?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Pedro Jesus
The R2103 continue 7ports?
Yes
Old 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Roelof
Thanx Rody, nice to hear.

I know that a lot can be done to make the flow better but a compromise is done in the limits of the machines and the total machine time working on 1 part. New machines or just new tools can make a difference in the posibillities of the end result but also some design changes which were overlooked or found during the 2102 era can easilly adapted in a new named engine. Can you tell me if materials have changed? A better fit of the piston in the sleeve with a wider temperature window does give a better performance which does not need a larger timing.

To me an extra cut or a re-shape is not a real re-design but more like an evolution although I stronger believe the changes are needed to add something new as a selling gimmick.
Hi Roelof,

They are working at the limits and finding a balance between new design and investment is always a challenge especially in our little sector.
No change in materials in my opinion, this would be even more risky.
As for the piston/liner fitting, this is always a delicate thing because in colder countries you need a looser fit as in opposite in the warmer countries.

Agree about your point, unfortunately the racers always want to see new things even though the new things are not always visible and this is even harder to sell.

Rody
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Dixon,

Rody
Thanks Rody

Dixon
Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Roelof,

They are working at the limits and finding a balance between new design and investment is always a challenge especially in our little sector.
No change in materials in my opinion, this would be even more risky.
As for the piston/liner fitting, this is always a delicate thing because in colder countries you need a looser fit as in opposite in the warmer countries.

Agree about your point, unfortunately the racers always want to see new things even though the new things are not always visible and this is even harder to sell.

Rody

rody I had your rb c4 way back in the day and that shit was just as fast as anything sold today and prob faster!! that was my first motor ever and it was a beast !!! what a way to learn 8th scale with that bad boy!!
buy the way do u still like the rb line?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
rody I had your rb c4 way back in the day and that shit was just as fast as anything sold today and prob faster!! that was my first motor ever and it was a beast !!! what a way to learn 8th scale with that bad boy!!
buy the way do u still like the rb line?
Hi,

Yes, the RB engines were at that time on a good level. The main difference with the todays engines is that manufacturing technologie has improved constantly which results that today 9 out of 10 engines are excellent out of the box while before this number was less.

After I left the RB company not a lot of development was made anymore and they just followed the NR things which for me was a non sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.