Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing >

Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing

Like Tree17Likes

Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing

What are the pros and cons of Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing ?

I know Ceramic Bearing are smoother but for a sportsman class racer like myself are they worth it or stick to steel due to hard hits or crashes ?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you're running anything On-road; get the Ceramic Ball Bearings. They're on the less-weight side.
-no R.C. Car crash can crack a ceramic ball in a bearing (to my knowledge).
Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
If you're running anything On-road; get the Ceramic Ball Bearings. They're on the less-weight side.
-no R.C. Car crash can crack a ceramic ball in a bearing (to my knowledge).
Thanks GuyIs
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ceramic v Steel

Originally Posted by BigC2007
What are the pros and cons of Ceramic Bearing vs Steel Bearing ?

I know Ceramic Bearing are smoother but for a sportsman class racer like myself are they worth it or stick to steel due to hard hits or crashes ?
As long as you are comparing comparable bearing classes the advantage of ceramics is the lighter weight and therefore lower inertia on startup , only a handful of the elite drivers can notice a difference in the motor when using ceramics. As for the rest of the car just avoid them in areas where they will see an impact - we've had issues using ceramics in clutches and on layshafts.
VS_Rody likes this.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
As long as you are comparing comparable bearing classes the advantage of ceramics is the lighter weight and therefore lower inertia on startup , only a handful of the elite drivers can notice a difference in the motor when using ceramics. As for the rest of the car just avoid them in areas where they will see an impact - we've had issues using ceramics in clutches and on layshafts.
Good info thanks Rick
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Lord

From which RC bearing "manufacturers" (many just buy chineese stuff) have you ever seen real specsheets of the bearings? If you get a bearing from a normal manufacturer like SKF and INA you can find specsheets about the used materials, RPM range, hardness, max side load etc with different numbers based on different lubrications.

So yes, not knowing the specs I can say a good steel bearing will always be better than a crappy Chineese ceramic bearing.

Yes, Ceramic balls are lighter and need less lubrication for a less resistance. But what will be the total weight difference in rotating mass between the steel and ceramic balls and added the weight of the crankshaft, piston/rod, clutch and the force of the gearing, shafts and weight of the car? The difference is almost nothing...

Will ceramics make a difference? If you need that last 1/10th of a seccond to get on podium between all other toplevel drivers then yes, maybe. If you are more than a half seccond away from them then getting ceramics is the last thing to worry about.

We all know it is in between the ears knowing ceramics must be better, saddly the wallet (mine for sure) has also a limit. Last season the ceramic bearing of my Ielasi needed a change, 70 euro for an original Novarossi ceramic or 25 euro for a steel version, I have saved 45 euro and the engine was running the same.
Going for TKO, Lilly Bearing, Boca etc then yes, for 25 dollar you will have a ceramic main bearing and still for 10 euro a steel bearing. Pricewise the ceramic from those guys is affordable but in my eyes still a not needed option.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
From which RC bearing "manufacturers" (many just buy chineese stuff) have you ever seen real specsheets of the bearings? If you get a bearing from a normal manufacturer like SKF and INA you can find specsheets about the used materials, RPM range, hardness, max side load etc with different numbers based on different lubrications.

So yes, not knowing the specs I can say a good steel bearing will always be better than a crappy Chineese ceramic bearing.

Yes, Ceramic balls are lighter and need less lubrication for a less resistance. But what will be the total weight difference in rotating mass between the steel and ceramic balls and added the weight of the crankshaft, piston/rod, clutch and the force of the gearing, shafts and weight of the car? The difference is almost nothing...

Will ceramics make a difference? If you need that last 1/10th of a seccond to get on podium between all other toplevel drivers then yes, maybe. If you are more than a half seccond away from them then getting ceramics is the last thing to worry about.

We all know it is in between the ears knowing ceramics must be better, saddly the wallet (mine for sure) has also a limit. Last season the ceramic bearing of my Ielasi needed a change, 70 euro for an original Novarossi ceramic or 25 euro for a steel version, I have saved 45 euro and the engine was running the same.
Going for TKO, Lilly Bearing, Boca etc then yes, for 25 dollar you will have a ceramic main bearing and still for 10 euro a steel bearing. Pricewise the ceramic from those guys is affordable but in my eyes still a not needed option.

WOW great info Reolof and you always bring the knowledge !
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Most of us are not fast enough for ceramics to make a difference. I'll buy more tires with the $100 I save from buying steel bearings motor
Old 03-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Most of us are not fast enough for ceramics to make a difference. I'll buy more tires with the $100 I save from buying steel bearings motor
I agree 100% I need tires and bodies due my hart hits/crashes
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

on the dyno the ceramic add no power !
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I'm with the few above posters, Steel is fine. And even on motors that come with Ceramics etc. having performed a few rebuilds which include a swap to steel bearings, I have not seen a difference. The Timesheets during practice and racing do not indicate a differance, and my fuel mileage is un-affected as well (1/8 On-Road 2wd Pan & 1/8 Buggy). So along with as stated saving money, its a no brainer.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I'm with the few above posters, Steel is fine. And even on motors that come with Ceramics etc. having performed a few rebuilds which include a swap to steel bearings, I have not seen a difference. The Timesheets during practice and racing do not indicate a differance, and my fuel mileage is un-affected as well (1/8 On-Road 2wd Pan & 1/8 Buggy). So along with as stated saving money, its a no brainer.
Thanks Fan for your post.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

For sure talking about the 100+ dollar ceramic bearings from the Novarossi Virtus with weird dimensions 14.5 x 26 x 6 x 5.7 x 4.7

Due the pattent no alternative available... then just modifying the crank case:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...gs-virtus.html
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
For sure talking about the 100+ dollar ceramic bearings from the Novarossi Virtus with weird dimensions 14.5 x 26 x 6 x 5.7 x 4.7

Due the pattent no alternative available... then just modifying the crank case:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...gs-virtus.html
Good stuff Roelof very good info.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

You guys have a point. But; in this hobby you're gonna spend money anyway to get the T.Q. Spot.
- any way to lower the chassis weight counts + some practice will get you fast laps. (everyone knows that)

Take Care

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.