Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Engine upgrade help please?..? RS4 3 EVO >

Engine upgrade help please?..? RS4 3 EVO

Engine upgrade help please?..? RS4 3 EVO

Old 12-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Engine upgrade help please?..? RS4 3 EVO

Right now it has the Star T-15 engine. I'd like to go to a big block or something more powerful and quicker than the Star T-15 stock motor. If you could please tell me the specs of the engines, what I will need to modify, and how much it usually costs for the bigger and badder engines. Thanks again for everyones time.

Dante`
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92554
Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Thats it I had enough.....hehe

I broke down and just bought a new engine. The motor mount screw broke off in the mount and I got fed up with HPI customer service not returning and help, since they are the ones who used 20 gallons of thread lock on one screw. So I just bought the O.S. .18 CV-RX, and also purchased the THS tuned pipe to go along with it. And as I am typing this I am thinking to myself "I didn't even check to see if the pipe was for the Engine I bought". OOOPS! I hope it is.......ANyways so in a couple of days I will be back on the road again after a week set back, thanks to thread lock.

Now all I have to do is get this broken screw out of the mount with no screw head. HMMMMM any idea from anybody?

Dante`
Old 12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

I have the THS pipe with the 18 CV-RX on my Evo.
Works great.

You are having problems getting the T15 out of the car?
I couldn't get the last screw out either...
I ground a slit in the head with a Dremel and used a flathead screwdriver to take the screw out.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Heck yeah!

Yeah it broke off the head did. I was ticked off at HPI.
How much faster is the O.S. .18 compared to T-15?

Dante`
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

get the .12 tz from os with the standard crankshaft. you'll need a new flywheel and engine mounts though. or for stupid power get the .18 tz standard crank, i think its pullstart too for the rear exhaust got to rdlogics.com and get the pipe for the RTR 3.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default To late`

I already purchased the .18. I might buy more motors for different occasions.

Dante`
Old 12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How come?

How come you buy a brand new motor, and it comes with everything but the flywheel, clutch and gears. You would think after spending what you do it would come with everything. Now I have to send the HPI T-15 to be repaired and they want the entire motor so they can look over everything and I have to wait to race even longer now cause I do not have an additional flywheel, clutch, and gears. Im upset.

Dante`
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reason that engine doesnt come with flywheels and such is the every car and company has different designs and standards, and engine manufactures basically mainly design engines. If you plan having a few engines for one car, why not spend a little extra for those accessories, it will make exchanging parts and switching engines more convenient.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DriveToLive
How come you buy a brand new motor, and it comes with everything but the flywheel, clutch and gears. You would think after spending what you do it would come with everything. Now I have to send the HPI T-15 to be repaired and they want the entire motor so they can look over everything and I have to wait to race even longer now cause I do not have an additional flywheel, clutch, and gears. Im upset.

Dante`
A couple of comments for you. First, you don't need to send flywheel, clutch, clutch bell and gears with the engine. They are not part of the engine. HPI only needs the engine stripped down to the output shaft. I think that the T-15 has the integral motor mounts so you are going to need some motor mounts as well. You can reuse the flywheel, clutch, clutchbell and gears with your new motor. Also it is NOT HPI's fault that you stripped out the engine mounting screw. HPI can't control if you use a dull driver or if you slip while removing the screw and strip the head. If they made the screws come out easier, people would be crying and wanting warranty returns for the engine loostening up (this does also happen). Stripped engine mounting screws is a fact of life for nitro engines. Just like broken parts and worn tires. If you have only one screw head that is broken off, remove the other 3 and remove the engine. Then take a pair of pliers and twist out the stub that should be sticking out of the engine mount. The only time you would be messed up is if the screw somehow sheared off even with the bottom of the engine mount and you can't grip it with pliers. If this has happened, you can simply buy a pair of $4.00 engine mounts that HPI sells and use the optional engine mounting holes in the engine block and chassis to re mount your engine.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

First of all....

Im not going to get in a battle with you over something DUMB. First of all you weren't here in my house when it happen, so don't act like you know something about it when you don't. Second of all it is HPI's fault, because of all the threadlock they used. You have no clue how much they used this time around, because you AREN"T here. And I didn't use a dull screw driver, it happens to be brand new. Please don't come in here thinking you know what happen. Cause you don't. HPI has already taken owner ship of the mishap and all is well. Sounds to me you are taking it personally and you shouldn't. Thanks for the advise and your opinions. I apologize if I sounded rude, because I wasn't trying to be. I was merely just expressig my feelings.

Dante`
Old 12-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Whats up

Ok I just got the .18 Cv-r running and I believe its to powerful for that little car lol. I can't keep it on the ground anymore.
Dante`
Old 12-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

The T15 is a nice engine.
I race on a short technical track and the T15 was nice on that track.
The 18 CV-R is more powerfull....more then needed on that track.
When you race on a track then the OS TZ's are overkill...maybe nice for parking lot bashing.
The CV-R is an easy drop-in, but the TZ's need some modifications.
I only purchased some Wolfpack Radicals adjustable engine mounts (great mounts!) and popped the CV-R in.
Actually...mine is a CV-RX and I can still use the rotostart.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

So from what I am understading... u guys are using the .18 engine and using the THS #1011R pipe on it?

Also... what other pipes are you guys running with the .18 engines on your RS4 3? I am thinking about upgrading to a .18 also.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hey

Choose wisely, the 18 is awesome but its very powerful. I can't keep it on the ground(but its fun). Twice now I have had to tighten every screw and bolt. Theres alot of power coming from that little ole crankcase. Now I have to replace the exhaust gasket for some reason.

Dante`

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.