R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Novarossi Ielasi Tuned Engines - Official Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/909529-novarossi-ielasi-tuned-engines-official-thread.html)

NitroVein 08-22-2019 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by cansoykal (Post 15498248)
I don't agree with you. Timings are very important like you said but mods to increase flow make noticeable difference as well. I mod my own novarossi's and even the smallest porting is noticeable. I recently modded a rex legend 12 slightly and now it can keep up with the top level engines down the straight on our track.

Talk about a difference :)

It depends on how bad it is to begin with, but there is usually not much to gain by cutting things up, many times it can be worse. The power comes from other things and that's not something you see on a picture. Unfortunately, people tends to buy in to the visual more than anything...

Roelof 08-22-2019 04:30 AM

Indeed.
Rounding edges and adding some teardrops will only make a smoother running engine that probably will accelerate a little bit faster. If you leave all those fancy visible tuning and only make the cranktiming larger the engine will do so much more!

But Ielasi does not do more than others, only adding some teardrops to the sleeve and rounding he turbo scoop, basically the standard CNC machinework Novarossi does on all high end engines. No special cuts, milling etc. I am pretty sure most if not all of it is no handwork, He lives in the Novarossi factory so he can do it all from standard production.

chromie 08-22-2019 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15498275)
Indeed.
Rounding edges and adding some teardrops will only make a smoother running engine that probably will accelerate a little bit faster. If you leave all those fancy visible tuning and only make the cranktiming larger the engine will do so much more!

But Ielasi does not do more than others, only adding some teardrops to the sleeve and rounding he turbo scoop, basically the standard CNC machinework Novarossi does on all high end engines. No special cuts, milling etc. I am pretty sure most if not all of it is no handwork, He lives in the Novarossi factory so he can do it all from standard production.

Who does good modifications?

1/8 IC Fan 08-22-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by chromie (Post 15498539)

Rody and Mauro Collari do. There are others here in the US such as Rick at RB mods, Uriah Murnan to name a few.

There is a huge list somewhere, if you want modding done, send it to a reputable Engine Builder.

Roelof 08-22-2019 11:11 PM

What is wrong with CNC milling to the right specs? Just because it is no handwork? People are focussing too much on the visual things.....

GAMER 08-23-2019 02:05 AM

What ever happened to that Motorman modder that was on this forum back in the day? He had a great thread in this forum before he deleted all his posts. :rolleyes:

NitroVein 08-23-2019 06:28 AM

Far fewer than who offer the service, though if you ask a question about it here every single one will be recommended by someone...
It's not like the mfg don't know what they are doing (though they mess up occasionally), so most of the time it's more about perhaps tailoring the power band.
One thing that the mfg need to consider is that the engines might end up in different locations, different altitud over the sea, different fuels, different tuning skills etc etc, so things like head shims can be a little bit on the safe side (sometimes).
If you look at the offroad side, probably 90% is running a small carb insert, and they still send in engines to get modified, talk about placebo effect from visual appearance...

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15498721)
What is wrong with CNC milling to the right specs? Just because it is no handwork? People are focussing too much on the visual things.....

Totally agree.