Wiki Posts
Search

sleeve pinching?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default sleeve pinching?

i got a pincher of someone used. it had no paper work with it. i know it is real easy to get it to tight so i pinched some sleeves in old motors first. i find myself asking if the sleeve should be in the pincher a certain way.any certain port to the gap in the pincher? and should i pinch rotate 180 degrees and pinch again? any body with experiance with this tool please give all the info possible. thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you align the notch in the sleeve against the gap in the pincher then tighten it 1/8 of a turn then rotate 90 degrees and do the same just don't over do it since it will be irreversible but if it is still loose against the piston then you can always re do the process
Old 05-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the info. yes i know you can over do it. just didn't know if you should pinch one certain way. or pinch then rotate and pinch again. but you cleared that up for me. thanks again. didn't know if anybody was ever gonna answer .
Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default clock

look at it as if it was a clock

12 3 6 9 move it a total of 4 times pinch slow do a full rotation 1/4 at a time

dont go nuts and pinch it to death slide the piston back up into the sleeve
check the pinch ..

repeat a few times until you think it's about right
Old 05-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

do they actually work?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrothugg
do they actually work?
of course it does and it'll give you a few months more life from p/s
Old 05-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

but you can also loose the original performance of the engine but should be ok for pratice.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chris West
but you can also loose the original performance of the engine but should be ok for pratice.
yea the motors i'm pinching have allready lost the original performance and are not really good for competitive racing anymore. good for practice or maybe backup motor.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

just bringing an old thread back to life

anyone know a link of where to buy sleeve pinching tools? its just like a c-clamp, right? cant seem to find any info on a sleeve pincher that will work on an ofna .32. thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

thats because those dont work lol. (read on...)

You pinch it in a press, not with some 50 cent clamp... those 50 cent clamps used to sell on EBAY like crazy, and those i am referring to.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by marvi
just bringing an old thread back to life

anyone know a link of where to buy sleeve pinching tools? its just like a c-clamp, right? cant seem to find any info on a sleeve pincher that will work on an ofna .32. thanks in advance
If you want your sleeve pinched the right way, send it to OSROCKET.

In 99%, the sleeves he pinched lasted longer and showed better performance than a new one.

That guy kinda invented sleeve pinching....

It's well worth the $15!!!

www.osrocketracing.com
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

my current engine is lasting longer and runs better after being pinched than it did new
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

thanks for the inputs

is there a difference between rayaracing's method and osrocket's method? pros and cons on each pinching service, from anyone who tried both?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marvi
thanks for the inputs

is there a difference between rayaracing's method and osrocket's method? pros and cons on each pinching service, from anyone who tried both?
I havent tried osrockets service, but I do have experience with Rayaracing. His service is very professional and well managed. In fact, I wrote an article in XRC some years ago about his resizing service.

I also own all his resizing fixtures for .12 engines. I still need to get stocked on .21 and .28 sizes.

This is definitely not the same thing that you get on ebay with some funky c-clamp from harbor freight!! Rays jigs are toleranced to the .0001" and have specific control measures to direct where in the liner the pinch is applied. Also most importantly, the sleeves arent clamped at all but rather swedged in a concentric fixture to retain perfect roundness (mucho importante!!!)

So I guess what I am saying is DO NOT USE C-CLAMPS!!!! THEY ARE BOGUS AND WILL RUIN YOUR ENGINE!!!

BK
Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxwrench
I havent tried osrockets service, but I do have experience with Rayaracing. His service is very professional and well managed. In fact, I wrote an article in XRC some years ago about his resizing service.

I also own all his resizing fixtures for .12 engines. I still need to get stocked on .21 and .28 sizes.

This is definitely not the same thing that you get on ebay with some funky c-clamp from harbor freight!! Rays jigs are toleranced to the .0001" and have specific control measures to direct where in the liner the pinch is applied. Also most importantly, the sleeves arent clamped at all but rather swedged in a concentric fixture to retain perfect roundness (mucho importante!!!)

So I guess what I am saying is DO NOT USE C-CLAMPS!!!! THEY ARE BOGUS AND WILL RUIN YOUR ENGINE!!!

BK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.